BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E90 M3 (Sedan) | E92 M3 (Coupe) | E93 M3 (Convertible) (2008-2013)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E90 M3 (Sedan) | E92 M3 (Coupe) | E93 M3 (Convertible) (2008-2013) {Engine: S65 - Max Hp: 414 hp (420 hp Euro) at 8,300 rpm / 295 lb/ft at 3,900 rpm}

Old Wed, Nov-23-2016, 01:13:45 AM   #31
SYT_Shadow
Piraña Powered

Spain

Default Re: New m3 and rod bearings

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickt5174 View Post
is the Blackstone analysis the only way to determine if your bearings are are going bad or not? If I was looking at car to purchase what are the signs that I would have to look out for?
there is no way to tell other than regular blackstone analysis if you have a pre 2010 car.

Edit: as pbonsalb below says, even that is not 100%. I think replacing the bearings is a must do

Last edited by SYT_Shadow; Wed, Nov-23-2016 at 12:42:38 PM.
Jump to top SYT_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Nov-23-2016, 12:38:04 PM   #32
pbonsalb

An unfortunately, blackstone is not infallible. Cars with good tests gave failed. Theoretically it should work for early cars, but its not certain. You can read all about it on m3 post dot com
Jump to top pbonsalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Nov-24-2016, 04:42:50 AM   #33
admranger
Registered troublemaker

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
An unfortunately, blackstone is not infallible. Cars with good tests gave failed. Theoretically it should work for early cars, but its not certain. You can read all about it on m3 post dot com
I think Blackstone is measuring things correctly. However, the action limits are not well known. Especially true on the aluminum bearing cars.

'11 E90 M3, Melbourne/Black/Fox Red/Black, 6MT, roof, PP2, heated seats, Eibach Pro Kit, GC Street camber plates, Arc-8's, Technic harness, JL XD 600/6
'16 X5 40e Mineral White/Black Dakota Leather, ZLL, ZCW, ZDA, ZDB, ZPP, side shades, multi contour seats, HK stereo
Jump to top admranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Nov-29-2016, 07:36:57 PM   #34
jason912

United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO SENNA View Post
So if you have a 2010+ are the rod bearings ok or do you have to plan on replacing them regardless of year? Also will the aftermarket rod bearings last the life of the motor, or is this a constant maintenance item?

I am starting to consider a V8 M3 after loving my E46. At least I should not have to worry about the rear subframe or vanos issues.
You have to plan on replacing regardless of age of car, even the revised bearings in the 2010+ cars will fail eventually. Aftermarket rod bearings will suffer from wear and require replacing also. Its not a regular service item of course, but something to consider after some years/heavy mileage intervals. Its all relevant to how long you keep your car and use it.
Jump to top jason912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-01-2016, 03:50:44 AM   #35
admranger
Registered troublemaker

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason912 View Post
You have to plan on replacing regardless of age of car, even the revised bearings in the 2010+ cars will fail eventually. Aftermarket rod bearings will suffer from wear and require replacing also. Its not a regular service item of course, but something to consider after some years/heavy mileage intervals. Its all relevant to how long you keep your car and use it.
I replaced my 2011 E90M3 rod bearings at 35k miles. Scary ugly and I did oil changes at 1/2 factory recommended intervals.

If you buy an E9xM3, you need to budget in an aftermarket warranty or a rod bearing job. Book it.

'11 E90 M3, Melbourne/Black/Fox Red/Black, 6MT, roof, PP2, heated seats, Eibach Pro Kit, GC Street camber plates, Arc-8's, Technic harness, JL XD 600/6
'16 X5 40e Mineral White/Black Dakota Leather, ZLL, ZCW, ZDA, ZDB, ZPP, side shades, multi contour seats, HK stereo
Old Thu, Dec-01-2016, 01:10:21 PM   #36
jason912

United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
I replaced my 2011 E90M3 rod bearings at 35k miles. Scary ugly and I did oil changes at 1/2 factory recommended intervals.

If you buy an E9xM3, you need to budget in an aftermarket warranty or a rod bearing job. Book it.
Agreed, My E60 M5 is on 64k miles....not long had the car but its on my to do list very soon. Your situation just makes it even more applicable. Low mileage with bearings in bad shape just shudnt be happening in these cars if you consider the price you pay for them. Price to pay for high performance M engines I guess.
Jump to top jason912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-01-2016, 06:01:43 PM   #37
SYT_Shadow
Piraña Powered

Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason912 View Post
Agreed, My E60 M5 is on 64k miles....not long had the car but its on my to do list very soon. Your situation just makes it even more applicable. Low mileage with bearings in bad shape just shudnt be happening in these cars if you consider the price you pay for them. Price to pay for high performance M engines I guess.
All high performance engines have their issues. It's a shame, but rod bearings aren't that difficult to replace

I'll do an E60 in Q1 2017 with the BE bearings

The most important thing is it seems like these BE bearings solve this issue once and for all. I'll probably open mine up after 50-70k to take a peek
Jump to top SYT_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-02-2016, 02:50:55 AM   #38
Rez

Reputation: 637 Rez has a reputation beyond reputeRez has a reputation beyond reputeRez has a reputation beyond reputeRez has a reputation beyond reputeRez has a reputation beyond reputeRez has a reputation beyond repute

What are the BE bearings you speak of? How do you guys have confidence in some aftermarket part in the middle of you engine?
Jump to top Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-02-2016, 03:13:39 AM   #39
admranger
Registered troublemaker

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rez View Post
What are the BE bearings you speak of? How do you guys have confidence in some aftermarket part in the middle of you engine?
Let me f'n google that for you... BE Bearings Website

And the answer is yes, I'm comfortable enough that I have a set in my S65 right now. I sure as hell don't trust the numbskulls at BMW who have screwed it up on two generations of M3s and at least one generation of M5's.

Old Fri, Dec-02-2016, 11:41:34 AM   #40
pbonsalb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rez View Post
They are made by clevite, which made the original bearing. The clearance is increased by a few 1000s of an inch, closer to industry standards for the journal size.
Jump to top pbonsalb is offline   Reply With Quote