BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Tue, Feb-23-2016, 07:44:41 PM   #11
Tmswell
Stick with the Classics

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: E36 M3 rear end feels "loose"

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty. View Post
RTAB's. Loose or failing is my bet..
Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cha5en View Post
When I read or hear the term loose, I first look at the brand/age/condition of the tires. Often times this was the issue. Any more info on the tires might at least help eliminate other parts.
Interesting... could be.
Jump to top Tmswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Feb-23-2016, 09:25:36 PM   #12
M3Stang

United States

Default E36 M3 rear end feels "loose"

I was able to contact the shop who did the POs latest alignment back in 1/2/15 and 9k miles ago. He sent me the sheet but tapatalk is giving me issues. The car was aligned as follows
Camber
FL -1.5 FR -1.7
RL -0.8 RR -0.6
Caster is fixed so irrelevant
Toe
FL 0.15 FR 0.13
Total toe 0.28
RL .12 RR .11
Total toe .23
I am assuming these are all toe in. I have my 328 set to 0 toe and I love it. I feel like the rear having almost no camber is what's causing the problems in cornering. The car also feels a little weird on the highway too. This was also 9k miles ago so things are probably even worse still at this point. What do you guys think? Car is rolling on brand new Michelin pilot super sports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top M3Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Feb-24-2016, 01:39:34 AM   #13
matthugie

United States

Just because that's what the alignment was set to a year+ ago doesn't mean that's what it currently is. Large bumps, pot holes at speed, a bolt not completely torqued, etc. are all enough to alter alignment. You can probably find a place that will check your alignment for free or very cheap and know for sure where the car is.
Jump to top matthugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Feb-24-2016, 01:40:58 PM   #14
M3Stang

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthugie View Post
Just because that's what the alignment was set to a year+ ago doesn't mean that's what it currently is. Large bumps, pot holes at speed, a bolt not completely torqued, etc. are all enough to alter alignment. You can probably find a place that will check your alignment for free or very cheap and know for sure where the car is.

Yup that's why I mentioned it near the end of the last post. The settings are pretty bad as they were can only imagine now.

Old Fri, Feb-26-2016, 11:31:54 PM   #15
M3Stang

United States

Anyone think these specs contribute?

Old Sat, Feb-27-2016, 01:24:17 AM   #16
MaynardZed

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Stang View Post
Anyone think these specs contribute?

Doubt its the alignment, but have it rechecked to see where its at currently.

FWIW, I remember when my race shop guy was setting up my E36 for the track with all new GC suspension he said the rear suspension is very important and that's what he focuses on the most. Front suspension is pretty close to being ready for the track from factory, but the rear has to be tight.

We have no rear sway in my car and all new parts. It does not oversteer on throttle, just squats and bites harder the more throttle you give it.
OMP Full Containment Race Seat
S52 with bolt ons 237 rwhp (DynoJet)
2600lbs empty
Jump to top MaynardZed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Feb-27-2016, 01:29:41 AM   #17
aeronaut

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardZed View Post
Doubt its the alignment, but have it rechecked to see where its at currently.

FWIW, I remember when my race shop guy was setting up my E36 for the track with all new GC suspension he said the rear suspension is very important and that's what he focuses on the most. Front suspension is pretty close to being ready for the track from factory, but the rear has to be tight.

We have no rear sway in my car and all new parts. It does not oversteer on throttle, just squats and bites harder the more throttle you give it.
What? Front needs about 3.5 neg camber for track (depending on tires/suspension), but comes from factory with what, 1.5 or so?

But for OP, agreed, those alignment number don't point to the problem you're describing.
Jump to top aeronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Feb-28-2016, 12:55:07 PM   #18
MaynardZed

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
What? Front needs about 3.5 neg camber for track (depending on tires/suspension), but comes from factory with what, 1.5 or so?

But for OP, agreed, those alignment number don't point to the problem you're describing.
Yes, of course front needs camber plates, but was looking at his rear numbers mostly (which could also use more camber than what he has for track). Adding the appropriate camber won't help the problem he's describing though.
OMP Full Containment Race Seat
S52 with bolt ons 237 rwhp (DynoJet)
2600lbs empty
Jump to top MaynardZed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-20-2017, 04:42:51 AM   #19
M3Stang

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardZed View Post
Yes, of course front needs camber plates, but was looking at his rear numbers mostly (which could also use more camber than what he has for track). Adding the appropriate camber won't help the problem he's describing though.
Beating a dead horse here since this was well over a year ago. Still haven't had the alignment checked but only put about 1k miles since this post. The car does have camber plates they are the ST XTA ones. Could the beefy front sway bar contribute to this at all? I was pretty positive it was related to the lack of rear camber. Just had my daily E46 330 aligned to 1.8 in the rear and 0 toe after installing poly rtabs and it drives perfect.
Old Thu, Apr-20-2017, 06:47:46 AM   #20
Hasan Shaikh

In the garage:

United Arab Emirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Stang View Post
Beating a dead horse here since this was well over a year ago. Still haven't had the alignment checked but only put about 1k miles since this post. The car does have camber plates they are the ST XTA ones. Could the beefy front sway bar contribute to this at all? I was pretty positive it was related to the lack of rear camber. Just had my daily E46 330 aligned to 1.8 in the rear and 0 toe after installing poly rtabs and it drives perfect.

Stiffer front sway bar should cause it to understeer.
Jump to top Hasan Shaikh is offline   Reply With Quote