BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Tue, Apr-21-2015, 12:48:03 AM   #11
tectonic
its custom

Poland

Default Re: E36 M3 Track Toy

Nice build. So were in Jersey are you? Cause rt29 is literally 5 minutes from me. I'm in Mercer County.

[Pbase]

FOR SALE: Thule Sidearm 594XT Bike Rack (x2).
PM ME FOR PRICE.
Jump to top tectonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Apr-21-2015, 11:19:46 AM   #12
Shimp52

United States

The plates were...well not mine lol Bought it from a private seller in Norfolk, he was on deployment and I picked it up pretty much the day he got back so there was no time for paperwork. He had the Jersey plates from the previous owner we used to drive it back. Didn't realize rt29 went up that way I'm in MD though
Jump to top Shimp52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-27-2015, 01:32:26 PM   #13
Shimp52

United States

The interior is essentially done just finishing up the details now. Went with a basic blue off the shelf color but I love it.

And the wires are going in looms so I didn't care if I got spray on them though I did protect most of them for future identification purposes.

With the car on the lift I saw how the welds on the floor had bubbled the undercoating so I cleaned them up and took care of any other rust spots I could find. I then undercoated the whole bottom.

Turning to the exterior I started work on the quarter panel rust and found it much worse than it looked. The water had been passing on the seam underneath the body sealer making pretty much everything surrounding the taillights rusty. And to make it worse it was then finding its way into the trunk. Today's project is fixing this rust, cutting out the metal that can't be saved, and welding new stuff on.

Last edited by Shimp52; Mon, Apr-27-2015 at 01:36:02 PM.
Old Thu, Apr-30-2015, 01:38:11 AM   #14
Shimp52

United States

Got to the trunk with the paint and fixed the rust in the taillight/trunk area.

The metal was too rusted to save in places with pretty much the paint holding it together. I had to cut some out and weld metal in place, I kinda got on a roll with the repairs and forgot pictures for a lot of the process. It went all around the taillights, down the seam to the bottom, and I then used body filler to remake the shape.

I have plans to go widebody and get a proper paint job but had to fix this rust ASAP after realizing how bad it really was. And there is little more in the fenders and doors. So as a temporary paint job after fixing all this I decided to dip the car Blaze Blue and test painted the bumper with the 3 can sample order I made. Pretty happy with the color and coverage.

Old Thu, Apr-30-2015, 10:35:08 PM   #15
Solaris99

In the garage:

United States

That's a lot of cage in the rear.

1999 BMW M3
2009 Chevy Cobalt SS turbocharged coupe
2000 Ford F350 7.3L 4x4
Jump to top Solaris99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, May-01-2015, 12:49:59 AM   #16
KnightKrawler

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaris99 View Post
X2 Any particular reason for that much tube?
Jump to top KnightKrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, May-01-2015, 02:00:03 AM   #17
Magic M3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaris99 View Post
I agree, but there does not seem to be much protection up front. The sidebar is basically an after thought. I'm a little skeptical of the sheet metal base plates as well.

OP: are you building to a rule book or to your own spec? What have you done to rebuild the suspension thus far. I would not go any further if you have not replaced and suspension bushing etc. You are making quick progress, so these should not be too bad of a project.

"What, that?....Oh, it's Stock....ish!"

Last edited by Magic M3; Fri, May-01-2015 at 02:04:46 AM.
Jump to top Magic M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, May-01-2015, 11:37:35 PM   #18
Shimp52

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightKrawler View Post
X2 Any particular reason for that much tube?
The subframe/strut tower reinforcement design I kept coming across when searching for ideas and I just liked it. So with labor being free done by me I figured why not only cost $30-40 to add.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic M3 View Post
I agree, but there does not seem to be much protection up front. The sidebar is basically an after thought. I'm a little skeptical of the sheet metal base plates as well.

OP: are you building to a rule book or to your own spec? What have you done to rebuild the suspension thus far. I would not go any further if you have not replaced and suspension bushing etc. You are making quick progress, so these should not be too bad of a project.
The floor plates aren't sheet metal but 20 gauge steel plates that were provided in the kit, it took a 6 pound hammer and a vice to bend it the way it is. It's my own spec, I don't plan on racing in a class as at least at this point in my life I do not really have the free time and money to get to all the events and scheduled races. I'll just be hitting up open track days whenever I get the chance. The suspension has been partially taken care of by me and the previous owners, most of the rear bushings/ball joints have been replaced within the past 3 years. I do need to replace the diff bushings though as the front bushing is shot and in danger of the famous shear-off.

I plan to add another bar on the side making an X in the near future but right now until I'm actually on the track I prefer easy entry as I still drive this often. Also I want to retain heat so the knee bar is not in until I figure a way to run it through the HVAC somehow. The reason I caged it now was the need for bodywork to fix rust from a long term leaky sunroof drains that was all over the floors, it was also why I removed the carpet as it was slightly mold damaged. So I figured well I have no carpet, rear panels already missing, and need to do body work anyway lets cage it. Even though I have a fun daily this has become such a great car to drive I've been using it pretty much every other day since I finished the cage.
Old Thu, May-07-2015, 12:58:09 AM   #19
Shimp52

United States

Its not for a little bit but I need rear diff mounts and have my eyes on the Turner Solid Mounts. I'll probably get them regardless but can anyone with personal experience tell me just now much NVH these add to the car? I know they'll be loud as they are solid but I don't want to need earplugs when I drive it

Old Thu, May-07-2015, 03:22:30 AM   #20
GG///M3
LOUNGE CREATOR

Albania

Default Re: 97 M3 Track Toy

Would you happen to be selling this part http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/z...ps307f0dy8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk