BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Apr-11-2017, 12:27:06 AM   #401
E46Hoonigan

In the garage:

India

Default Re: Rod Bearings

Is the brownline angle gauge any good? I heard that the Eastwood angle wrench wasn't that accurate....

Jump to top E46Hoonigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Apr-11-2017, 12:58:26 AM   #402
SYT_Shadow
Piraña Powered

Spain

I couldn't say. I use a fancy CDI torque wrench for all this stuff now
Jump to top SYT_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-11-2017, 02:09:06 AM   #403
m3streak

Canada

Funny you mention the brownline tool, yes it's good, but not for rod bearings while lying on your back. Because, if you swivel off from perpendicular with the bolt within the first 10 or 20 degrees it starts beeping because it thinks there is an error, or you're in ratchet mode defeating the whole beep at set angle concept. I bought it thinking it would help out because I could concentrate on the stroke instead of looking at the angle gauge that hides behind the subframe.

I'm sure for many applications it is very useful, but for this, it's wasted more bolts than done any good. I've been under the car all weekend with this product...

to answer your question, yes it seems accurate (checked 90 and 105 degrees), but finicky for our needs.

Edit: Once subframe was completely removed I hit 11 bolts in a row, or 33 pulls at 105deg, with the 5 degree approaching target beep and final set angle beeps never failing. It has +/-2% accuracy and sticks to the long breaker bars very nicely. So I would recommend it.

Last edited by m3streak; Fri, Apr-28-2017 at 02:04:22 AM. Reason: Eval once all bolts in
Jump to top m3streak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-11-2017, 02:10:36 AM   #404
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

I used a Snap-on techangle -- not cheap, but it made the job really easy.
Old Thu, Apr-13-2017, 02:49:48 AM   #405
admranger
Registered troublemaker

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
+1 for the tech angle torque wrench. You can get them on eBay all day long for not too much money. Roughly $60 calibrates it at Snap On (including return shipping!).

'11 E90 M3, Melbourne/Black/Fox Red/Black, 6MT, roof, PP2, heated seats, Eibach Pro Kit, GC Street camber plates, Arc-8's, Technic harness, JL XD 600/6
'16 X5 40e Mineral White/Black Dakota Leather, ZLL, ZCW, ZDA, ZDB, ZPP, side shades, multi contour seats, HK stereo
Jump to top admranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-13-2017, 12:25:19 PM   #406
mrRed

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Hoonigan View Post
Is the brownline angle gauge any good? I heard that the Eastwood angle wrench wasn't that accurate....

the complaints I heard on the eastwood one were mostly due to it being finnicky. Like you have to enter angle mode while tension is on the bolt in the direction you want to turn it. If you don't, you'll add in a few degress of measured angle due to the slack in the ratcheting head itself. Once that tension is on there though, it seemed pretty accurate as far as I could tell (I didn't verify against an analog fwiw).
Jump to top mrRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-13-2017, 09:11:18 PM   #407
Tp///M3
Got ///M?

Laos

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
I used this also.

04 CarbonBlack/ImolaRed
Jump to top Tp///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-21-2017, 03:08:50 PM   #408
E46Hoonigan

In the garage:

India

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3streak View Post
Funny you mention the brownline tool, yes it's good, but not for rod bearings while lying on your back. Because, if you swivel off from perpendicular with the bolt within the first 10 or 20 degrees it starts beeping because it thinks there is an error, or you're in ratchet mode defeating the whole beep at set angle concept. I bought it thinking it would help out because I could concentrate on the stroke instead of looking at the angle gauge that hides behind the subframe.

I'm sure for many applications it is very useful, but for this, it's wasted more bolts than done any good. I've been under the car all weekend with this product...

to answer your question, yes it seems accurate (checked 90 and 105 degrees), but finicky for our needs.
What if I have a car lift? I won't be lying down so will it be easier to use?
Jump to top E46Hoonigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-27-2017, 06:17:59 AM   #409
breadvan

United States

Since it is related to this thread, I have an ultimate digital torque angle gauge available from Stahlwille. It is brand new in original carry case with mini disc instructions, calibration certificate, and mini CD-rom disc manual. 2.5 to 44 ft/lb, 3/8" drive

+/- 1% deviation, yes 1%! This is a $2,000+ torque tool for racing teams, auto manufacturers, and the aviation industry:

https://chadstoolbox.com/electronic-...nch-sensotork/

Will sell for much less than half of what the market is asking. Please PM for info. Located in the SF, Bay Area.

Last edited by breadvan; Thu, Apr-27-2017 at 06:28:21 AM.
Jump to top breadvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-28-2017, 01:59:30 AM   #410
m3streak

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Hoonigan View Post
What if I have a car lift? I won't be lying down so will it be easier to use?
Sorry I was going to edit my original evaluation. Yes it is very good once the subframe is completely removed giving freedom to the angle torque stroke. I can recommend it for those who remove the subframe, and possibly for those with a lift. As I've mentioned before that if you go off perpendicular from the rod bolt with your bar within the first 20 degrees of angle rotation but then return to perpendicular it starts to beep thinking your in ratchet mode I think (I can't tell you how much off perpendicular, but the angle readout still seems accurate in the end, I've tested it somewhat to see if I could rely on it even if it started beeping early). After the subframe was removed I had 11 for 11, or 33 pulls in all with the 105degree and not one miss, nor unexpected beeping so I guess that says it all, it's good. +/- 2% accuracy. One more thing, it secures very nicely to a breaker bar and allowed for good leverage and never flipped off or any other funny business.

Last edited by m3streak; Fri, Apr-28-2017 at 02:05:15 AM.
Jump to top m3streak is online now   Reply With Quote