BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Mon, Jun-18-2012, 03:31:28 PM   #21
Dermit

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: DIY: Vanos hub + bolts

Oh man! I wish it wasn't so detailed! I thought replacing the cam bolts would be an easy affair. Now I have a reality check. Ignorance WAS bliss....
Jump to top Dermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Jun-18-2012, 03:42:19 PM   #22
GMB_e46M3

United States

I feel like I should pay you for this!

Between this DIY, the other cam bolts DIY, and the valve adjustments DIY im gunna save about ~1500+ in labor over the next 6 months. Thank you very much.
Jump to top GMB_e46M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jun-18-2012, 03:53:06 PM   #23
SYT_Shadow
Piraña Powered

Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSpeedAddict View Post
Incredibly good DIY.
Subscribed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmaticdream View Post
Excellent DIY
Thanks guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestigCLT View Post
Excellent work Danny.
Now I have to find the energy to write up the oil pan DIY... wish me luck Bob and let me know when you get my tabs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojcaj View Post
What a detailed and excellent DIY. Thank you. Never knew it was such a process. I don't think I would ever be able to handle something like this.
It's almost longer to read this whole thing than doing it, but this one is within reach of most enthusiasts. The whole timing thing sounds spooky until you open it up and start touching parts... makes it easier to understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3Fresh View Post
Either way will work, but you do need to have two lock pins to lock the timming if you do it the way the OP did it.

Most Timming tools only come with one. It can be done with just one pin but from what I have found, youre more likely to throw off the timming.
True. Or you could use a screwdriver in place of the second pin. In the DIY I suggest ppl get a second pin, I think it's much easier to bolt them all up without turning the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ABIVT View Post
Awesome DIY thanks for the effort More importantly how many miles on the new hub?
Not many... I have a new suspension sitting around (Konis) and have to install it so I'm not putting that many miles on the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djty View Post
Amazing DIY! Thank you for taking the time to do this. I love DIY's that are very detailed and thorough. Keep up the good work!
It really takes forever to do a DIY. The pics are taken quickly, but the writeup... takes a few hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dermit View Post
Oh man! I wish it wasn't so detailed! I thought replacing the cam bolts would be an easy affair. Now I have a reality check. Ignorance WAS bliss....
The cam bolts is easy. Just don't drop anything into the engine. It took me 3 weeks to fish my tabs out and I had the car on a lift the entire time. Seriously, just follow them one by one. Not worth paying $1000 for this work. Now the oil pan... oh I'd have no problem paying 1k for that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB_e46M3 View Post
I feel like I should pay you for this!

Between this DIY, the other cam bolts DIY, and the valve adjustments DIY im gunna save about ~1500+ in labor over the next 6 months. Thank you very much.
You're welcome hehe. No need to pay me, I've found so many useful things in this forum it's time to give a little back. M3F
The valve adjustment isn't a big deal either. You don't need to mess with the timing so it's easier (as in you don't run the risk of blowing the engine). Make sure the little pucks don't get lost in the engine though! Ask me why I know

Last edited by SYT_Shadow; Tue, Jun-19-2012 at 12:01:46 AM.
Jump to top SYT_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jun-18-2012, 04:20:58 PM   #24
Dirty Elf
BSME

In the garage:

United States

awesome write up

2004 Silver-Grey ///M3 Coupe
Jump to top Dirty Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jun-18-2012, 04:30:16 PM   #25
henrykwan12

Hong Kong

Very nice write up
Jump to top henrykwan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jun-18-2012, 04:46:47 PM   #26
devilbones

In the garage:

Germany

Nice DIY. If you are doing anything in the future and need an extra set of hands or anything let me know. I am in Amesbury, I dont know where you are in MA but could be near by.
Jump to top devilbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jun-18-2012, 06:32:40 PM   #27
GMB_e46M3

United States

You're in Mass? Maybe I will pay you to come give me a hand when I go to do all this the first time. Haha
Jump to top GMB_e46M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jun-18-2012, 08:14:46 PM   #28
Sircrazy

In the garage:

United States

I think the next 500 pages will be filled with nothing but THANK YOU!

THANK YOU sir
Jump to top Sircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jun-18-2012, 09:25:15 PM   #29
kuksul08

United States

I bought mine with 50k and the oil had only been changed 2 or 3 times before that yet it looks perfect inside. They must have used the wrong oil or something.

~*Mods*~: High Flow Carbon Fiber Strut Pipe Trim, Custom Aero DME Shift Linkage, Forged Titanium Race-Euro-Spec Illuminated Diff Sleeves, Catless Dog CSL Retrofit, Mod Bug Delete & More
S54 Valve Adjustment DIY, Excel, Print out: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY video (cam bolts, oil pump disk, etc.): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
Jump to top kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jun-18-2012, 11:18:22 PM   #30
mikeymed8

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB_e46M3 View Post
You're in Mass? Maybe I will pay you to come give me a hand when I go to do all this the first time. Haha
Lol I was thinking the same thing.

Thanks for a great write up! This project is on the top of my to do list. I have a box of parts sitting in the garage. Where in Mass are you located? I would definitely throw you some cash to give me a hand.

BBS RS-GT Wheels | KW V1 Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Scorza Exhaust | AP Headers | CPI Euro 200R | SS Non-Res Xpipe | Evolve Tune | Rogue RTAB + RSM

Jump to top mikeymed8 is offline   Reply With Quote