BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Mon, Jan-20-2014, 02:52:57 PM   #21
Nunzio

United States

Default Re: SMG Compression Spring DIY

I have a similar issue after a pump change and reset with AE tool. Only mine has a lackadaisical change between all gears. It was recommended to check the springs.

Okay so I removed the compression spring from my tranny only to find its not broken.

That was fun and took me about 4 hours to access and remove it. Argh! Also as mention above the new plug is dimentionally smaller. I measured it with a digital caliper. Also the new spring, pin is shorter buy a touch. I put a shim/washer inside the pin before the spring to get the length the same as the original. I reused the original plug. It was a bear to get back in, but what I did is put some double sided tape on a socket the same size as the plug, I then used a pry bar against the trans tunnel and socket and just pressed/levered it back in. It took some effort so I know its tight.

I did remove the strut bar and fan/clutch assembly from the water pump to allow the engine to rotate back without striking the radiator, nothing else interfered in the engine bay to prevent the trans from dropping down far enough. I pulled the tail of the transmission down as far as I could and wedged a small 4" length of 2 x 4 (the 4" side) on top of the trans in order to hold it down. It was pretty wide open to do the operation on the plug and spring. Orienting the pin was not very difficult as it runs inline with the shaft.

I think something else is causing the mushy shifts? Trans speed sensor? Or position sensor? This is sucking!

I'm trying to hook up locally with someone who can flash my SMG to the CSL software. If that's doesn't fix it I'm at a loss.

Car is not throwing any codes whatsoever.
Jump to top Nunzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Jan-20-2014, 04:17:57 PM   #22
blanko

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunzio View Post
I have a similar issue after a pump change and reset with AE tool. Only mine has a lackadaisical change between all gears. It was recommended to check the springs.

Okay so I removed the compression spring from my tranny only to find its not broken.

That was fun and took me about 4 hours to access and remove it. Argh! Also as mention above the new plug is dimentionally smaller. I measured it with a digital caliper. Also the new spring, pin is shorter buy a touch. I put a shim/washer inside the pin before the spring to get the length the same as the original. I reused the original plug. It was a bear to get back in, but what I did is put some double sided tape on a socket the same size as the plug, I then used a pry bar against the trans tunnel and socket and just pressed/levered it back in. It took some effort so I know its tight.

I did remove the strut bar and fan/clutch assembly from the water pump to allow the engine to rotate back without striking the radiator, nothing else interfered in the engine bay to prevent the trans from dropping down far enough. I pulled the tail of the transmission down as far as I could and wedged a small 4" length of 2 x 4 (the 4" side) on top of the trans in order to hold it down. It was pretty wide open to do the operation on the plug and spring. Orienting the pin was not very difficult as it runs inline with the shaft.

I think something else is causing the mushy shifts? Trans speed sensor? Or position sensor? This is sucking!

I'm trying to hook up locally with someone who can flash my SMG to the CSL software. If that's doesn't fix it I'm at a loss.

Car is not throwing any codes whatsoever.
From what I found when my car was doing the very delayed shifts (before it totally stopped engaging gears) was that those symptoms are caused by a broken compression spring or bad gear position sensor.

Last edited by blanko; Mon, Jan-20-2014 at 04:19:33 PM. Reason: typo
Jump to top blanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-14-2014, 02:23:55 PM   #23
bigjeeze

United Kingdom

Hi Zach

After having the same issues you have had and diagnosing a compression spring problem we decided to follow your instructions and change the compression springs in our 2005 M3.

Your instructions were very very helpful, although I didn't remove the donut ( the thingy that connects gearbox to driveshaft). I did remove the fan cowling etc. but not the fan and in the event it wasn't an issue as the fan didn't get anywhere near the radiator.

The biggest issue was removing the plug as you can not see it except with a mirror and of course it isn't directly accessible with an ordinary screwdriver. I had an extra long screwdriver and I bent the last 3 inches to allow the necessary access to the plug which is conveniently placed in a recess!. I eventually managed to knock it out and after using a magnet to remove the spring - eureka!! a broken spring. I also replaced the lower compression spring ( the one with the ball bearing) whilst I was there. Refitting was quite difficult as well as I ended up using a crow bar ( pry bar) to give the necessary angle - then hitting it with a hammer until it went home. Then another three hours or so refitting everything back to the car. Test drive and all is now working properly. So thanks for your write up.

The only things I would add is that photographs wouldn't really help help as you do most of the replacement by feel. What I did do was to go on the web and get pictures of the gearbox to that I knew what I was looking for. Apart from that excellent details.

Many thanks

BJ
Jump to top bigjeeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-21-2014, 02:17:04 AM   #24
///MATTY C

In the garage:

United States

Did this yesterday for a fellow forum member. I found that getting the plug out was painstakingly hard but getting the plug back in was even worse. After repeatedly trying to push it back in and failing, I ended up using the fan lock tool, 2x4 and a hammer. The fan lock tool helped thanks to the crescent grove which fit right over the hydraulic lines that run next to the plug. I then wedged the 2x4 against the body and hammered at the end of the fan lock tool. Also having a flat head screwdriver with a curved end proved to work best getting it out in the first place.

If anyone would like me to change their compression spring, please feel free to pm me.
Jump to top ///MATTY C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Mar-25-2015, 02:46:29 AM   #25
macming

United States

Great write up! I'm thinking of changing my spring as well. Did anyone change all 4 springs listed here?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...87&hg=23&fg=15

I'm thinking of getting these 4 part #s:
23317511337 - Main Spring (5)
23311228393 - 02
23111222720 - 06
23311228405 - 15

Also, is there anything else I should change while I'm in there? Locking pin? Tranny mount? Anything?
Jump to top macming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-09-2015, 01:46:40 AM   #26
macming

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcoombs4 View Post

Now, take your long flat head and head back under the car. While your friend holds the gearbox down, make your hands super skinny and pry that plug out. It sucks. It takes time. There's no easy way about it. Just keep prying and it will eventually relinquish its grip. Congratulations, you've reached the spring!
Thanks for the write up! How did you even get your screw driver/pry bar around those hydraulic wires? I'm a bit puzzled at this stage lol.

Edit. I loosened the 10mm bolt holding a hydraulic line in place. Then it only took 10 minutes to pry the blind plug out using a small pry bar. Putting it back in took a little more effort (a 18mm 1/2" drive socket helped to finish the job), but it was all done in about 20 minutes or so.

Ming

Last edited by macming; Fri, Apr-10-2015 at 03:54:56 AM.
Jump to top macming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Mar-20-2016, 04:33:08 PM   #27
E46DinanM3

United States

So do all 4 get replaced?
Dinan Exhaust-Dinan Cold Air Intake-Dinan Stage 3 Software-Angel Eyes-Depo Smoked Signals-Smoked Tail Lights-Blacked Out Grills and Fender Gills-Windows 20% Tint-Windshield 35% Tint-Wheels LE37 Glossy Black Front19-8.5 Rear19-10.5 SOLD-CSL Diffuser
Jump to top E46DinanM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jun-11-2016, 03:36:09 AM   #28
crazyazz

Australia

I changed the spring out, only to find mine was fine. Put the newer upgraded spring in, but still have slow changes into 3rd under load.

I wonder if a bad syncro could cause the issue?
Jump to top crazyazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-20-2017, 08:00:02 PM   #29
bstrand

Apologies to ask for help on my first post but I'm wondering if anyone can comment on how easy to is to get a broken spring out and a new spring in. My mechanic is saying that they were able to get the old one out and the new one in, but that there is no clearance for the technician's hand to be able to secure the plug and thus secure the spring. They want to take the whole transmission out for tons of extra labor beyond what I was quoted originally. Can anyone comment/advise on this? Thanks a lot for any insight you can provide.
Jump to top bstrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-21-2017, 03:23:34 AM   #30
crazyazz

Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstrand View Post
Apologies to ask for help on my first post but I'm wondering if anyone can comment on how easy to is to get a broken spring out and a new spring in. My mechanic is saying that they were able to get the old one out and the new one in, but that there is no clearance for the technician's hand to be able to secure the plug and thus secure the spring. They want to take the whole transmission out for tons of extra labor beyond what I was quoted originally. Can anyone comment/advise on this? Thanks a lot for any insight you can provide.
I have done it, you only need to drop the trans down a bit and get a pry bar to lever and press the blind plug on
Jump to top crazyazz is offline   Reply With Quote