BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, Jun-15-2012, 09:30:44 PM   #11
zcoombs4
The Captain

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: SMG Compression Spring DIY

Quote:
Originally Posted by jothow View Post
is it possible you think to get to the compression spring from inside the car? I don't see why I couldn't cut a hole through body work to it at then plug it back up? does anyone have a schematic showing the exact location in relation to the car and smg gear stick etc?
I don't see why you couldn't, just not sure why you would.

Seems like it'd be just as much a PITA that way as well. But for reference, check the diagram here. I'm sure it's possible, as the blind plug is very near the top of the transmission anyway, though you'd run the risk of missing and hitting a hydraulic line maybe

Eisenmann||Dynavin||Rogue||AP
Jump to top zcoombs4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Feb-15-2013, 06:28:40 AM   #12
blanko

United States

Excellent write up. Bummer those pics were lost.

I'm thinking I will be taking this project on when I get a chance. Finding time between school and work is near impossible. Anyway just noticed the other day my car starting to exhibit symptoms of this issue. Occasionally it doesn't want to upshift. It always does, but there may be a 3-5 second delay of blinking gear number before the gear actually engages. Seems to occur mostly from 2 -> 3, but has happened also when going into 4th, 5th, and 6th one time. Likelihood of it happening seems to increase if I drive faster/shift at higher rpm. If this doesn't sound like a compression spring problem, I'd appreciate if someone would chime in.

Also the #6 spring and locking pin shown here are all that is needed?
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...56&hg=23&fg=15

Thanks in advance. Hope to report back with good news on this!
Jump to top blanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Feb-15-2013, 06:45:10 AM   #13
blanko

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karuza View Post
I pulled my spring out by Pulling trans mounts and fan shroud and just getting a screwdriver up there..

Good write up nonetheless
Has anyone else been able to confirm this, or is this guy really Macgyver?
Old Fri, Feb-15-2013, 03:33:39 PM   #14
RedM3/4

United States

If you didn't format the sd card, see if they will view/print from a printer or get an adapter and see if a smartphone will bring them up. Just because windows can't read it doesn't mean there is a problem. There may be, but often it just means it's windows... Pics would be an awesome add to this! Nice job!

ADS
Jump to top RedM3/4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Mar-06-2013, 01:08:14 AM   #15
blanko

United States

Well replacing the compression spring did the trick. A few days ago it must have totally broken into 3 pieces and made the car unable to engage any gears. Got it towed home, and replaced the compression spring today. Man, what a #^%&^% that damn blind plug was. Removal and installation of the new blind plug was the most time consuming part of the whole process. Took about 8 hours start to finish.

All that for a lousy spring.
Old Wed, Oct-09-2013, 12:34:24 AM   #16
ryster218
sits on kw's

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karuza View Post
I pulled my spring out by Pulling trans mounts and fan shroud and just getting a screwdriver up there..

Good write up nonetheless
This is an old post, but if you can give more info on how it was done that would be great! I need to replace mine and this seems to be the best way, if not, I'll use zcoombs way.

-03 AW E46 M3
-11 6MT SG F10 535i
Jump to top ryster218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Oct-09-2013, 12:38:15 AM   #17
Karuza

United States

Just used a mini flathead and a lot of patience.. It's kind or hard to initially feel the plug but once you find it it's just a matter of positioning and rotating the flathead to pull it out
Jump to top Karuza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Oct-11-2013, 12:54:42 AM   #18
dan.cal

United States

Are you guys replacing only part #6 (23311228397)? Looks like there a lot of other springs in that diagram...

Do those springs need to be replaced as well??
Jump to top dan.cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Oct-11-2013, 03:21:39 AM   #19
bzsbimmer

In the garage:

South Korea

Pictures would have made this EPIC!
Good information though. I'm definitely going to use this when I change mine out as part of my predictive maintenance plan coming up.
Old Thu, Dec-19-2013, 12:44:50 AM   #20
ThunderMoose

In the garage:

United States

So I finished this job this weekend. I nearly cried though when I was done.

Once I got the transmission cross brace mounted, I went ahead and turned the ignition to position 2 to see if the gears would engage (or flash). Gears engaged, but I could only get R, N, 1, and 2. I figured that I probably needed to get the engine cranked before I could engage the other gears. I re-installed drive shaft, heat shield, exhaust, air intake, strut brace, cabin filter, and all the under pan bits.

I start the car but the gears will only flash. I realize the hood is open thinking maybe that's it. Close the hood. Gears will still only flash. At this point I am thinking that despite my best efforts that I didn't install the locking pin in the correct orientation.

It's dinner time, so I grab a quick bite while I contemplate redoing this entire job to make another stab at the plug, spring and locking pin. I am pretty close to tears as I have track weekend in 2 days.

I started thinking that maybe the door was open when I tried this as I've seen the open door keep my from engaging gears in the past. I try again with closed door and the gears will engage, but only to 2nd. I lower the car and drive off the lift. I make a quick circuit and all the gears work great!

This job was probably the hardest and scariest as I had the engine and transmission tilted to the max sitting on transmission lift for 3 days while I waited for spring.

Getting the plug up was extremely difficult as I couldn't get any tools up into that space. I ended up using the head of a nail to work the plug loose. Getting the plug back in was no piece of cake either, especially when I could never be 100% sure that I put the locking pin in the correct orientation. Also, my spring was not broken so I am not sure that this will fix my 3-4 shift issues at the track.

I use an electric fan, so that was one part of the DIY that I didn't have to contend with.

I'll find out this weekend if the new spring fixes my track issues. Fingers crossed.

#67 2014, 2015, 2016 NASA TX TT3 Runner-up,

FLMS Half Cage, RaceTech 4009HR drivers seat, Schroth 6-Pt Harness, E.S.S. Fire System, AIM SOLO DL with ECU Harness, SmartyCam, Angle Aluminum with VAC dead pedal, Sparco Steering Wheel on MOMO hub, MCS Suspension, Hyperco 800F 900R springs, Hotchkis Front and Rear Sway bars, Vorshlag Camber Plates, Turner ARCA, AJ Hartman Front Splitter, BW V2 Wing, BW CF Rear Diffuser, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Brembo BBK Front, Carbon Fiber Roof, CF Headlight Blanks, Door Windows and Cards Delete, TMS rear and front subframe reinforcement, Zionsville Competition Cooler, BW Oil Cooler, Oil Diverter Valve, Motorsports Thermostat, Evolve CF Intake, Epic Stepped Headers, Turner Pulleys, BW 3.5" Race Exhaust, EPIC Alpha N Tune, 288/280 Cat Cams, Beisan Oil Disk and Vanos Seals, ZF 5MT, CAE Ultra Shifter

My track journal: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=509148
Jump to top ThunderMoose is offline   Reply With Quote