BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, Apr-21-2017, 05:48:52 AM   #21
ApolloTheGod

United States

Default Re: Picked up a blown-engine project E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergA View Post
The crankshaft rod journals and main journals look very healthy. There should be no issue with re-using this crankshaft. The rod bearings, however, look like they're on their last legs. Good thing I'm replacing them!

You should read my thread about my rod bearing issue and how the crankshaft "looked" fine. I really do hope yours is fine and does not end up like mine after a $580 rod bearing job.

2011 Space Gray + Fox Red ///M3 Coupe
ESS VT2-650 SC, Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers, AP Racing BBK, Recaro Seats, Carbon Fiber Roof, GTS DCT Tune
Jump to top ApolloTheGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Apr-21-2017, 01:26:01 PM   #22
BergA

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloTheGod View Post

You should read my thread about my rod bearing issue and how the crankshaft "looked" fine. I really do hope yours is fine and does not end up like mine after a $580 rod bearing job.
I read through your thread. All due respect, but you and I have entirely different situations here. Your crankshaft was scored and a bearing had spun! Contrary to popular believe, crankshafts are not "harder than bearings, so the crankshaft can't be damaged by a spun bearing." When bearings spin, the heated abrasion cuts the crankshaft and also cuts the connecting rod. Clearances (and roundness) go to hell.

On my last N55 rebuild, one connecting rod bearing spun. The crankshaft showed evidence of damage and needed to be replaced. The connecting rod LOOKED good, but closer measurement with a bore gauge showed that the cap expanded from heat by about 0.2mm; just enough for the scored & broken joint to not align on one side. For that reason I had to buy a new set of rods.
https://xoutpost.com/1079004-post27.html

This particular car did not exhibit rod knock. Best practice is to have the crank polished before it goes back in, but otherwise it's fine.
Jump to top BergA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-21-2017, 02:57:10 PM   #23
Rontgen

United States

Nice progress! Most people would run away from a car like that - kudos to you for bringing it back to life!

2001 M5
Jet Black / Black
Jump to top Rontgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-21-2017, 06:59:27 PM   #24
Braymond141

United States

Quote:
I read through your thread. All due respect, but you and I have entirely different situations here. Your crankshaft was scored and a bearing had spun! Contrary to popular believe, crankshafts are not "harder than bearings, so the crankshaft can't be damaged by a spun bearing." When bearings spin, the heated abrasion cuts the crankshaft and also cuts the connecting rod. Clearances (and roundness) go to hell.

On my last N55 rebuild, one connecting rod bearing spun. The crankshaft showed evidence of damage and needed to be replaced. The connecting rod LOOKED good, but closer measurement with a bore gauge showed that the cap expanded from heat by about 0.2mm; just enough for the scored & broken joint to not align on one side. For that reason I had to buy a new set of rods.

This particular car did not exhibit rod knock. Best practice is to have the crank polished before it goes back in, but otherwise it's fine.
This.
Jump to top Braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-21-2017, 09:34:05 PM   #25
Chuck Nukem

In the garage:

United States

I gave 9k for a six speed with 182k. I have 203 on mine now and I cant imagine it is worth any less with the maintenance I have done to it.
Jump to top Chuck Nukem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-21-2017, 11:36:33 PM   #26
SLOWER

In the garage:

United States

213k is an encouraging number. Rebuild it a drive drive drive.
Jump to top SLOWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Apr-22-2017, 04:32:27 AM   #27
qualicas

In the garage:

Canada

I guess I am similar to the OP as well. I picked up a lightly wrecked 2002 and rebuilt the whole thing. It is a hobby, keeps me from going crazy watching TV.
Back on point. It is easy to keep track of the big things. It is the little things that really add up but no one keeps track. Then there is mission creep. Gee, while I am doing this I might as well do that and before long you have rebuilt the entire car. But is is a hobby! Enjoy.

Speaking of the N54 engine, a friend blew up 2 of them in his 135. He never did figure what happened. He was out of town at a track but was just driving to learn the track and boom. I wanted to do an autopsy on the engine but it was too far away.
Jump to top qualicas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Apr-22-2017, 01:39:41 PM   #28
ApolloTheGod

United States

Quote:

I just learned something new. Thank you for sharing. It has been a big lesson learned.

2011 Space Gray + Fox Red ///M3 Coupe
ESS VT2-650 SC, Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers, AP Racing BBK, Recaro Seats, Carbon Fiber Roof, GTS DCT Tune
Jump to top ApolloTheGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-25-2017, 01:33:38 PM   #29
BergA

United States

At this point all new parts have been ordered. The total has come to $2,220, and I'm sure there will be another few dollars as I realize things I've forgotten. Here is the summary of items ordered:
  • Main bearings
  • Rod bearings (went untreated OEM)
  • Luk clutch
  • Grant piston rings
  • Used OEM intake valves
  • Valve seals
  • Iridium spark plugs
  • Complete Beisan kit (except oil pump disk -- I will machine that myself)
  • Engine seals -- front main, rear main, oil pan, valve cover, and on and on....
  • Turner Motorsports subframe reinforcement kit
  • Power steering pressure hose (old one is leaking)
  • Windshield Cowl (old one is cracked)
  • Steering rack boots (old ones are cracked)
  • Trunk struts (old ones are weak)

The point I want to raise is that the cost of a used short block with 1XX,XXX miles on it is going to be ~$3k. If I'm willing to do the work myself, I get essentially a bulletproofed engine with no miles on it for only $2,000.
Old Tue, Apr-25-2017, 01:37:33 PM   #30
BergA

United States

Remainder of ordered components.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-04-25 at 6.19.04 AM.png (46.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-04-25 at 6.20.32 AM.png (75.7 KB, 4 views)