BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Apr-12-2017, 02:08:15 AM   #1

In the garage:

United States

Default Have you ever used a valve spring compressor? which tool did you use?

Like the title says, need to find the tool that will work best for compressing the valve spring. There's so many different styles of tools and can't find anyone doing them on an s54 specifically. I don't know which ones will work and which ones won't.

Engine: Lang Racing stage 2.5 head, Schrick 288/280 cams, ARP studs, JE cut-ring HG, TTFS, Beisans vanos, afe intake, CSL headers, SGT scza section 3.

Driveline: Clutch Masters FX725, AKG stage II shifter, Vibra technics engine and trans mounts

Suspension: Bilstein coilovers, camber mod, UUC sways, PFC direct drive, PFC 08's, Nitto NT05's.

Instagram: instatroll_zach
Jump to top . is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Apr-12-2017, 02:22:36 AM   #2
NotUrAvgM

United States

Default Re: Have you ever used a valve spring compressor? which tool did you use?

When I replaced valve seals with the head still on the engine last year, I used this:

[2004 330xi/6] Orient/Natural :: 127k :: ZSP :: ZPP :: ZCW
[1998 M3/4/5] Cosmos/Black :: 122k ::TCKline D/A (500/600) :: GC plates :: RD Sways :: GC Rear Arms :: PF FCAB :: BW RTAB :: AKG Subframe :: 3.64 Diffsonline :: TMS Pulleys :: AA + Borla :: XBrace :: AS SSK :: ZHP Rack :: TRM C2s :: DTC60 :: RE71R :: Safety Equipment

Past:
[1995 M3] Avus/Dove :: 242k :: S52 OBDI :: M50 manifold :: 3.5" HFM :: Turner Chip :: XBrace :: SS Lines :: Turner RTABS :: Vogtland CS :: Bilstein Sport
[1999 M3] Cosmos/Black :: 87k :: TCKline S/A (400/500) :: Turner plates :: UUC Front Sway :: PF RTABs :: AA Intake :: Borla :: XBrace :: TRM C2s :: CL RC6E :: Direzza ZII :: Safety Equipment
[1993 325is] Brilliant/Black :: 139k :: Bilstein sports :: Eibach sways and springs :: Dinan camber plates and chip :: Borla :: LSD
[1983 320i] Safari/Brownish :: 242k :: homebrew CAI :: some rust :: multicolor body panels
Jump to top NotUrAvgM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-12-2017, 04:22:26 AM   #3
T3AMFiSh

United States

Default Re: Have you ever used a valve spring compressor? which tool did you use?

i just did all my valve seals using this tool. of course with cams out ... and head off..

http://www.ewktool.com/automotive%20...product_id=111

Jump to top T3AMFiSh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-12-2017, 02:00:22 PM   #4
SliM3

In the garage:

United States

Head on or off?

With it off, I used this:

With it on, I prefer this:
Jump to top SliM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-12-2017, 02:24:51 PM   #5
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

This thread isn't helping me at all.

Working up to doing headers on the M3 wagon. Started thinking that I might do the head gasket while I have the headers off (since it's going to be over 170,000 miles, getting up there). Now I'm thinking about doing valve seals as well, since they cheap and the tool is cheap

All for an engine with no compression issues.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, Wife's 6mt NA RWD e91, 04 M3 wagon
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-13-2017, 02:37:04 AM   #6

In the garage:

United States

Thanks for the suggestions. Head will be staying on the car. Two votes on that one tool so far, I didn't think there was enough room for it that's surprising. Any thoughts on this tool? It has better reviews and the use of it seems much easier but still unsure.

Engine: Lang Racing stage 2.5 head, Schrick 288/280 cams, ARP studs, JE cut-ring HG, TTFS, Beisans vanos, afe intake, CSL headers, SGT scza section 3.

Driveline: Clutch Masters FX725, AKG stage II shifter, Vibra technics engine and trans mounts

Suspension: Bilstein coilovers, camber mod, UUC sways, PFC direct drive, PFC 08's, Nitto NT05's.

Old Thu, Apr-13-2017, 01:13:00 PM   #7
SliM3

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by . View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. Head will be staying on the car. Two votes on that one tool so far, I didn't think there was enough room for it that's surprising. Any thoughts on this tool? It has better reviews and the use of it seems much easier but still unsure.

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-36050-K...P67P2RW9E7EK3D
Ha, I actually have one similar to this. Used it for a 2JZ rebuild a looooong time ago, and it wasn't the best tool for the job IMHO. With heavy spring pressure you'll most likely have to hit it with a dead blow hammer to get the keepers to pop out.

Installation was a bit of a chore as well. When you set the retainer and keepers atop the spring, you have to use all your might to push down on the tool far enough so the keepers "snap" into the valve stem grooves (you'll feel it). If you don't push down hard enough only one keeper may catch, but you won't know it until the spring unloads and sends your shite everywhere! Nothing will delay your job quicker than losing keepers and trying to figure out where the hell they went. Trust me on that one bro!

My vote is to stick with some sort of screw type spring compressor, that way you'll have unobstructed visibility during install. I don't think you'll have a problem with space constraints using the tool below. You only need to grab a few coil windings.

Last edited by SliM3; Thu, Apr-13-2017 at 01:19:05 PM.
Jump to top SliM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-21-2017, 12:54:14 AM   #8

In the garage:

United States

So I got the tool you guys recommended and got everything torn apart today to do the seals tomorrow. We're you guys able to get the two front most springs using the tool? I didn't realize there's an obstruction because of the cylinder for the bolts that go into the front of the head. I didn't really try yet but putting the tool on top of it, it doesn't look like it can get low enough onto the spring. Is there a way to do this with this tool or do I need to try another tool?

Old Fri, Apr-21-2017, 11:32:41 AM   #9
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Interested in the answer, because I was just about to order that tool!

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, Wife's 6mt NA RWD e91, 04 M3 wagon
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-21-2017, 02:56:55 PM   #10

In the garage:

United States

This tool isnt working at all even on the ones not obstructed. The forks on the sides of it keep it from going down straight onto the valve and keeps popping off. Idk how you guys did it. About to just order another tools.