BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > M3 Track: Racing and DE
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

M3 Track: Racing and DE Best mod for speed is learning to get the most out of what you currently have. Tracks and DE's is the place to start!

Old Thu, Apr-20-2017, 11:05:07 PM   #21
ThunderMoose

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: If you could only give one piece of advice to a beginner on the track...

Consider trying heroin instead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#67 2017 NASA TX TT3 Champion

FLMS Half Cage, RaceTech 4009HR drivers seat, Schroth 6-Pt Harness, E.S.S. Fire System, AIM SOLO DL with ECU Harness, SmartyCam, Angle Aluminum with VAC dead pedal, Sparco Steering Wheel on MOMO hub, MCS Suspension, Hyperco 800F 900R springs, Hotchkis Front and Rear Sway bars, Vorshlag Camber Plates, Turner ARCA, AJ Hartman Front Splitter, BW V2 Wing, BW CF Rear Diffuser, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Brembo BBK Front, Carbon Fiber Roof, CF Headlight Blanks, Door Windows and Cards Delete, TMS rear and front subframe reinforcement, Zionsville Competition Cooler, BW Oil Cooler, Oil Diverter Valve, Motorsports Thermostat, Evolve CF Intake, Epic Stepped Headers, Turner Pulleys, BW 3.5" Race Exhaust, EPIC Alpha N Tune, Beisan Oil Disk and Vanos Seals, ZF 5MT, CAE Ultra Shifter

My track journal: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=509148
Jump to top ThunderMoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Apr-20-2017, 11:09:08 PM   #22
DreamTime

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: If you could only give one piece of advice to a beginner on the track...

WOW!!! You guys are incredible!! I am sitting on a gold mine here, I could never thank you enough! I will literally read this over and over while I prepare for my first track weekend in June at Roebling Road in Savannah. My 2008 e90 6 speed manual is completely stock right now, as far as I can tell, and it has been well taken care of mechanically and cosmetically. I am currently saving money to start modifying it. It has great tires, practically new, and my brakes are in good shape. A new friend is going to teach me how to change out my brake fluid prior to my first day on the track. It is already turning into an addiction and I have just begun.

I am so excited!! Thank you!! You guys are the best!

Mary
Jump to top DreamTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-20-2017, 11:11:24 PM   #23
suaveflooder

United States

Fantastic thread!

Where can I buy heroin?
Old Fri, Apr-21-2017, 12:15:46 AM   #24
DreamTime

In the garage:

United States

Side note: It sounds like maybe I should at least upgrade my brakes before hitting the track, and that I should take a few classes at the local motorsports park before Roebling Road. Thank you!!!

ps.. you guys are hilarious! some comments had me lmao through this whole thread, while also learning some incredible shit. Best forum ever!!!
Jump to top DreamTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-21-2017, 01:56:16 AM   #25
SQ13

United States

If you decide to try heroin, use it moderately. Overdosing on heroin isn't fun.

Brakes.. for my first event I changed brake fluid only to RBF600.
Old Fri, Apr-21-2017, 03:24:15 AM   #26
nholmes
Track Junky

In the garage:

United States

Upgraded safety equipment is never a bad thing. Aggressive street brake pads and fluid isn't overkill for someone just starting out.

Jump to top nholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-21-2017, 07:01:39 AM   #27
nasieg

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
Welcome to the rabbit hole!

In a spin, both feet in.

If you're going to go off track, go off straight and don't try to steer back on.

Drink water, ask questions, be friendly, and don't try to win the track day. The miata is faster than you, so use your mirrors and let them by.

Lastly, and most importantly-- track days and driving schools are NOT RACING. You are not being taught at CCA events how to race, and there are zero points or trophies awarded for being the fastest. Listen to your instructor, check your ego at the door, and you'll have a great time!

That's more than one thing but all True! Good advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Journal

Besian VANOS, Euro Headers & Section1, TTFS tune, TMS under-dive pulleys, TC Kline S/A Coil Overs, Brembo 996 Calipers, ECS 2 Piece Rotors, Rally Road/P0lar Adapters, SS Brake Lines, Motul 600,Hawk HT-10 Pads, Braille Lightweight Battery, Hotchkis Sway Bars, SR2 CF Sunroof Panel,Apex ARC-8 & Sportline CS8's, Recaro Sportser CS Seats,SAP delete,Lightweight Cabin Filter Housing, SG CSL Diffuser, OEM CSL Trunk, Modified Stock Muffler
Jump to top nasieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-21-2017, 02:02:40 PM   #28
THEHOUNDER
Ezekial 23:20

United States

Couple of thoughts from my experience and things I wish my students had thought of

1) Take the time to figure out what you want to get out of the weekend, (better driver, improved car control, just wanna go fast, want to be on the podium at Spa) and share it with your instructor.

2) The only prize is a car you can drive home at the end of the weekend.

3) My favorite instructor line , "If to want to impress me you can't and if you are trying to scare me, you already have"

4) Apply the Last ski run of the day theory -- the majority of ski accidents happen on the last run of the day. Most of the incidents HPDE's occur when people are tired and / or want to wring out that last mph during their last session.

5) You will be mentally overloaded often. If you make two mistakes in a row your instructor should have you pit in to discuss. If you make three in a row pull yourself in and regroup.

6) DSC off.

7) Establish a common language with your instructor. What will he/she say when they want you to brake? Get on the throttle? Turn? Allow a pass? Slow for a flag? You will be trying to do three things at once and the less you have to think about or decode the better. I always said, your side or my side instead of left or right, or said brake or brake, brake, brake.... and would make students aware upfront.

8) Never look through the bottom half of the windshield.

9) Learn the track as much as you can before you head out. You will be surprised enough without learning about a blind right hander as you approach it.

10) Drive your line and not the person in front of you. Just because they are in front of you doesn't make them a better driver.

11) Use cool down laps to drive the absolute correct laps. Its a great opportunity to reinforce your marks at a fraction of HPDE pace.

12) Have fun.

Also this.

Race Car Build Thread

2004 Silbergrau SMG/ Vulcan Racing Fab Cage / V-CSL Roof/Works Bell SMG/ Fabspeed Headers/ Epic tune/ BW 3.5"/Cobra Sebring /Brembo 355/345 / GSP Gen 1 Pedal /Moton CS / Ground Control Race Bars / AIM Solo DL /Other junk and stuff
2012 Mercedes GL450 - Tow pig
2010 Featherlite 17'6" open
2013 e93 ///M3 -stock

Last edited by THEHOUNDER; Fri, Apr-21-2017 at 02:10:40 PM.
Jump to top THEHOUNDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-21-2017, 02:54:35 PM   #29
aeronaut

United States

There's of course trade-offs for every decision. As an instructor, my default for a new student is always DSC fully ON. Then adjust from there, maybe.

I'm a big fan of #11. I tell my students they've paid for the track, keep using it to learn, including cool down laps.

But again, bottom line OP, please don't take anything in this thread as gospel. Some great info for sure, but when you get in the car with your instructor, listen to him/her explicitly.
Jump to top aeronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-21-2017, 03:17:39 PM   #30
CrookedCommie
Captain Slow

In the garage:

Bulgaria

Y'all got any more of them track weekends?
Jump to top CrookedCommie is offline   Reply With Quote