BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Apr-20-2017, 07:25:16 PM   #31
CrookedCommie
Captain Slow

In the garage:

Bulgaria

Default Re: Vehicle Coatings Opticoat, Gyeon, C Quarts Finest

Did a paint correction and Opti gloss coat on my daily two years ago. I haven't waxed the car and it's only seen automatic car washes since then. Still beads, still looks like it's just been waxed when I come out of the wash.
Jump to top CrookedCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Apr-20-2017, 08:33:17 PM   #32
Joshe46

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by albino09 View Post
It seems like many of you are well into using these types of products. Detailing, Waxing, Coating, etc...

Would any of you be willing to write up a DIY on how to do this? I hear a lot of products and names thrown around but the processes themselves are very alien to me. Either that, or you could refer myself (and others curious) to a good post on one of those professional detailing forums already mentioned.

Larry Kosilla at Ammo Nyc. Go to his youtube. Extremely helpful and experienced detailer. He works on million dollar cars. Ammo also has great products I use as my regiment.
Jump to top Joshe46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-20-2017, 09:09:15 PM   #33
BearDeXPS

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by albino09 View Post
It seems like many of you are well into using these types of products. Detailing, Waxing, Coating, etc...

Would any of you be willing to write up a DIY on how to do this? I hear a lot of products and names thrown around but the processes themselves are very alien to me. Either that, or you could refer myself (and others curious) to a good post on one of those professional detailing forums already mentioned.
Be more specific.

are you asking in what sequence? everyone has their own way of doing things but there's some general "i" comes before "e" stuff

or how to use specific products? most manufacturers tell you exactly how to use their products

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshe46 View Post
Larry Kosilla at Ammo Nyc. Go to his youtube. Extremely helpful and experienced detailer. He works on million dollar cars. Ammo also has great products I use as my regiment.
Great video's and actually picks up the phone when you call, that's pretty cool. But his products are just aight. Definitely not worth the money. Only one I'd recommend is Hydrate.

'05 BMW ///M3 JB/Blk My Journal
Dinan | Rogue Engineering | Status Gruppe Tuning | H&R | Koni | 3M | Umnitza | Turner Motorsport | TeKarbon | Coby | aFe | Bimmerworld | Schroth
Lang Racing Stg. 2 | SuperTech | ARP | Radium Engineering | Aeromotive | Dimple | Brembo | Racing Brake | Motul | Mishimoto | Redish | C&R
EVOsport | Michelin | Beisan | Macht Schnell | Lamin-X | AKG | BSW | Eurosport Design | Mason Engineering | Vibra-Tech | evolve-R
Jump to top BearDeXPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-20-2017, 09:12:46 PM   #34
albino09
A Yankee South of the Mason-Dixon

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearDeXPS View Post
Be more specific.

are you asking in what sequence? everyone has their own way of doing things but there's some general "i" comes before "e" stuff

Sorry, definitely asking about sequence.

2002 Laguna Seca Blue/Dove Grey...Journal
Jump to top albino09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-20-2017, 10:22:46 PM   #35
Brian N
The Collector

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearDeXPS View Post
Great video's and actually picks up the phone when you call, that's pretty cool. But his products are just aight. Definitely not worth the money. Only one I'd recommend is Hydrate.
Agreed he makes great videos. I don't think his products are all that good.

-My Journal-
Jump to top Brian N is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-21-2017, 02:16:13 AM   #36
SeattleLSB

United States

Thanks for everyone's insight. I don't daily drive the car but I know my LSB could would be helped with paint correction. Most of the top end shops around here want $1k for 10 hours of paint correction is what they estimate for my LSB.

I'm going to look into the DIY coatings for car pro etc. I don't daily drive the car and I'm fine getting in the rhythm of washing it the correct way etc.

I just not sure I can buy into the hype of $1k for a sealent/coating.

2003 AW/BLK 330XI>AT>Winter Beater

2003 LSB/Blk M3>6SP>Slicktop - Sold
Jump to top SeattleLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-21-2017, 06:26:35 PM   #37
hockeyplaya1910
Kyle

In the garage:

United States

I used to work at IDA's detail shop of the year (Auto Image) in Barrington, IL. I've seen pretty much every coating on the market go on anything from your common Jeep Wrangler to McLaren's, Ferrari's, etc.... You really can't go wrong with any of the coatings mentioned in this thread already. Personally, I went with Gtechniq's Crystal Serum Professional. Why you ask? Well, after applying many of these coatings myself, Gtechniq's coatings, whether it be the light version or professional, are easiest to apply, easy to maintain, and simply looks f*cking incredible.

As for cost, I understand your concern. I have two views on this:
1) If you want the car to look right, have it professionally done, worry less in the long run, it will cost you. *That said, don't let someone charge you an arm and leg. $1k sounds reasonable but much more than that is craziness.
2) If you have the time and right equipment, this really isn't a hard process to do yourself. I did mine, although I have a few years of professional detailing background under my belt. The Gtechniq Light version is super easy to correct if you make a mistake while applying and I believe the coating itself is a mere $60 on Gtechniq's site.

If you have any questions let me know. Good luck OP!
Jump to top hockeyplaya1910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-21-2017, 06:46:06 PM   #38
kippers4brkfast

In the garage:

United States

As others have mentioned the biggest factor besides price is who is doing the work. The bulk of the job is in the prep work, cleaning, decontamination and polishing. For the most part coatings are easy to apply, its wipe on wipe off. You just need to make sure you time the wipe off part correctly. Not enough time you might get poor coverage and too much time you will be chasing down high spots. (basically extra coating that looks like oil slicks on the paint) Coatings are great for making your car easier to clean, long lasting gloss, uv protection and protection against minor marring. Anyone that sells you a coating as an impenetrable shield is lying and I would not recommend using them. Coatings are wonderful products but there is a lot of BS marketing that has been going around for years. I've applied Cquartz and Cquartz UK to a bunch of cars over the last year. If you are going to DIY its a great product and Corey at CarPro is a great guy to deal with. It should last at least two years if its properly maintained. If you want one of the 3-5 year coatings expect to pay $1000+ I normally charge in the $500-$800 range for two year coatings.
Old Fri, Apr-21-2017, 06:55:01 PM   #39
Dr M3an M3
My name is NOT Dan!

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyplaya1910 View Post
I used to work at IDA's detail shop of the year (Auto Image) in Barrington, IL. I've seen pretty much every coating on the market go on anything from your common Jeep Wrangler to McLaren's, Ferrari's, etc.... You really can't go wrong with any of the coatings mentioned in this thread already. Personally, I went with Gtechniq's Crystal Serum Professional. Why you ask? Well, after applying many of these coatings myself, Gtechniq's coatings, whether it be the light version or professional, are easiest to apply, easy to maintain, and simply looks f*cking incredible.

As for cost, I understand your concern. I have two views on this:
1) If you want the car to look right, have it professionally done, worry less in the long run, it will cost you. *That said, don't let someone charge you an arm and leg. $1k sounds reasonable but much more than that is craziness.
2) If you have the time and right equipment, this really isn't a hard process to do yourself. I did mine, although I have a few years of professional detailing background under my belt. The Gtechniq Light version is super easy to correct if you make a mistake while applying and I believe the coating itself is a mere $60 on Gtechniq's site.

If you have any questions let me know. Good luck OP!
Any thoughts or experience with Flight Shield Sapphire V1?

Mods: Maintenance, WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, BBS LMs w/ PSS, RE El Diablo exhaust (Titanium), CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, KW V3 Coilovers, Amber corners, Angel-eyes, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune, CSL Dynamic Redline Warmup Light parameters.

Please PM me - In search of:
-- Street DD friendly Camber Plates compatible with KW V3 Coilovers
-- Wanting to Trade basically brand new Eagle Eye Smoked Reverse Trunk Lights for a pair that are Non-smoked
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-21-2017, 08:21:09 PM   #40
hockeyplaya1910
Kyle

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr M3an M3 View Post
Any thoughts or experience with Flight Shield Sapphire V1?
Haven't heard of it or tried their products before so I don't have much input on that.
Jump to top hockeyplaya1910 is offline   Reply With Quote