BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Apr-19-2017, 05:52:20 AM   #1
nbriggs1988

United States

Default Need some help trying to pinpoint "Rumble" noise heard from inside cabin. Need some s

Firstly, let me apologize in advance for my crude attempt to describe the symptoms I experienced this evening on my commute home.

Everything started out fine, as usual. I will note, a suspect idler pulley has been making some minor "whirring" sound on cold starts (similar to supercharger whine), something i was planning to resolve in the next couple weeks. Sounds goes away once car gets to operating temp.

But after driving about 15 minutes of highway driving, and stop-and-go traffic off the highway, I made a pit stop. Car sat for about 5 minutes, and when I started it back up, was greeted by what I can best describe sounded like a rumble sound, like a really loud baseball card flapping on bicycle spokes (best analogy I can think of) or what I thought could be the fan clutch making contact against something. However, the sound was most pronounced inside the cabin, and sounded like it was coming from underneath the car, not from the engine.

Fearing the worst I pulled the oil filter housing, no metal flakes, or anything alarming. and from further careful monitoring on the drive home it would mainly make this weird noise which seemed unrelated to engine speed. Engine sounded smooth and silky, def no rod knocking noise, and only seemed most pronounced in first 2 gears, approx 2-4k rpms.

Again, the sound appeared like it was coming from under the car, or by exhaust manifold side, and seems most pronounced on take-offs or on deaccelaration, either in gear, or neutral coasting, just not at pronounced.

I'm wondering the the driveshaft was smacking some of the heat shielding around, or guibo/flex disk failure.

Any advice or similar experience would be appreciated!

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
Jump to top nbriggs1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Apr-19-2017, 07:00:00 AM   #2
K0nArtist

United States

Default Re: Need some help trying to pinpoint "Rumble" noise heard from inside cabin. Need so

Get under the car and start checking stuff maybe a heat shield came loose or something a long those lines, might be driveshaft.
Jump to top K0nArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-19-2017, 11:26:21 AM   #3
aznniche

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Need some help trying to pinpoint "Rumble" noise heard from inside cabin. Need so

Center support bearing may be torn.
Old Wed, Apr-19-2017, 05:21:49 PM   #4
nbriggs1988

United States

Thanks guys, good place for me to start. I'll be sure to update in the next few days. The noise went away last night, and didn't come back when I was checking it again. But I'm not going to be driving the car until I check it out

Old Wed, Apr-19-2017, 10:14:05 PM   #5
nbriggs1988

United States

@aznniche I think you are dead on. After hearing a couple YouTube videos, that is the same sound I heard yesterday.

Old Wed, Apr-19-2017, 10:38:03 PM   #6
F1Dryvr

United States

I believe this is your Rear Driveshaft CV joint. Rumble under harder acceleration at low rpms in low gears. If you done any work on or near the driveshaft or if you see grease being flung near the rear driveshaft mating to the diff, youve likely got a bad gasket back there (5$) and the cv joint has lost its grease. If you like torture you can pull the cv joint off, search youtube for videos on how to repack it with grease and put it back on with a new gasket. Or they sell just the cv joint to bolt on for about 200$. Hope this helps.
Jump to top F1Dryvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-20-2017, 01:23:02 AM   #7
Jazzkat

In the garage:

United States

2,000 to 4,000 rpm in one and two, my money on CSB.
Jump to top Jazzkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-20-2017, 08:51:31 PM   #8
nbriggs1988

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Dryvr View Post
I believe this is your Rear Driveshaft CV joint. Rumble under harder acceleration at low rpms in low gears. If you done any work on or near the driveshaft or if you see grease being flung near the rear driveshaft mating to the diff, youve likely got a bad gasket back there (5$) and the cv joint has lost its grease. If you like torture you can pull the cv joint off, search youtube for videos on how to repack it with grease and put it back on with a new gasket. Or they sell just the cv joint to bolt on for about 200$. Hope this helps.
I'll try to get my car up in the air later today and check everything out with the driveshaft, and I'll def check the rear CV. On a lighter side note, I did drive the car today, and no noise whatsoever.

I'll keep y'all updated. Thanks for the advice guys 👍👍

Old Fri, Apr-21-2017, 12:06:34 AM   #9
nbriggs1988

United States

Update: just looked under the car, and appears that 2 bolts came loose on the exhaust support brace, and walked out. Hopefully this resolved the issue I was hearing. The guibo looked like it was in good shape, no cracks. And the driveshaft didn't have any noticable play, without removing the exhaust and heat shield covering it.