BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Mon, Apr-17-2017, 08:12:08 PM   #1
NSX7

Canada

Default Competition pkg. front brakes

Did anyone track their comp. pkg M3 with the OEM/aftermarket cross drilled rotors and pads.

I can't seem to find other aftermarket options such as Brembo for that car.

I am looking at 4-5 track sessions per year - but I don't want to replace the brakes every year as these are expensive - also when I tracked my S2000 last year, the OEM brakes faded after 2 laps only.

Any help would be appreciated on this subject as I need to change the front brakes ASAP and need to make the right decision.
Jump to top NSX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Apr-17-2017, 09:05:50 PM   #2
EYEHAVEYOU
likes it raspy

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Competition pkg. front brakes

I used the OEM ZCP (comp pkg) rotors and got about 10 days worth of track time on my last car before the stress cracks stretched from hole-to-hole, which is when I've been advised it means it's time to replace (if you're tracking, this will likely occur before they are at min spec). This was with Motul RBF600 fluid, track pads (mostly PFC01s), and Yokohama AD08 tires

Obviously YMMV as there are a lot of variables at play here - the tracks you're on, weight of your car, pad selection, tires, how aggressively you're driving etc.

The bigger pain was that my rubber dust boot would melt/fall apart due to the heat, had to rebuild the calipers one time during that period, and they were probably due for another rebuild by the last day.

2006 M3 ZCP 6MT - Interlagos Blue /// Imola Red
2005 M3 ZCP 6MT - Alpine White /// Imola Red - RIP
Jump to top EYEHAVEYOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-17-2017, 09:39:24 PM   #3
MrCooperS

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYEHAVEYOU View Post
I used the OEM ZCP (comp pkg) rotors and got about 10 days worth of track time on my last car before the stress cracks stretched from hole-to-hole, which is when I've been advised it means it's time to replace (if you're tracking, this will likely occur before they are at min spec). This was with Motul RBF600 fluid, track pads (mostly PFC01s), and Yokohama AD08 tires

Obviously YMMV as there are a lot of variables at play here - the tracks you're on, weight of your car, pad selection, tires, how aggressively you're driving etc.

The bigger pain was that my rubber dust boot would melt/fall apart due to the heat, had to rebuild the calipers one time during that period, and they were probably due for another rebuild by the last day.
Which aftermarket rotors did you end up with after?
Jump to top MrCooperS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-17-2017, 09:44:53 PM   #4
EYEHAVEYOU
likes it raspy

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCooperS View Post
Which aftermarket rotors did you end up with after?
None, the car was flooded out before I could replace them

My current car has ZCP rotors which I'll be tracking with this season. When it comes time to replace I'll either stay OEM or go full-retard with a BBK.

2006 M3 ZCP 6MT - Interlagos Blue /// Imola Red
2005 M3 ZCP 6MT - Alpine White /// Imola Red - RIP
Jump to top EYEHAVEYOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-18-2017, 06:13:03 PM   #5
MarcZCP

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX7 View Post
Did anyone track their comp. pkg M3 with the OEM/aftermarket cross drilled rotors and pads.

I can't seem to find other aftermarket options such as Brembo for that car.

I am looking at 4-5 track sessions per year - but I don't want to replace the brakes every year as these are expensive - also when I tracked my S2000 last year, the OEM brakes faded after 2 laps only.

Any help would be appreciated on this subject as I need to change the front brakes ASAP and need to make the right decision.
I've done the equivalent of 3 full track days on the rotors that my car came with. The rotors at this point have only minor cracking - I figure I will get about 3 more days before the cracks are spanning adjacent holes at which time I will replace them with new ZCP rotors.

The ZCP brake setup performs ok on track. With stock pads I did get some brake fade so definitely recommend upgraded pads (PFC 08 is what I am running now).

Upgrade options are somewhat limited, but PFC offers direct drive rotors in ZCP size. Comments I've read on this forum indicate that those rotors combined with good pads and upgraded (brass) sliders in the calipers give an excellent braking system for track use. It is not cheap though, and given stock ZCP rotors are good for ~6-10 track days it will take some time to recover the up-front cost of the PFC rotor upgrade.

Also consider that your driving will influence the life of the rotors. If you're hard on the brakes immediately after getting on track you will have more severe thermal shock and the cracking will be worse. If you heat them up gradually over 1 or 2 laps it should help extend the life considerably.

2006 M3 ZCP 6MT Interlagos blue on grey
2008 Mazda3 - Daily driver
2005 Mazda RX8 - Gone but not forgotten
Jump to top MarcZCP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-19-2017, 03:56:20 PM   #6
Tove
They See Me Rollin'

United States

ZCP might be the best choice.

BMW Enthusiast since 1987 | Tove aka Genuine
Jump to top Tove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-19-2017, 11:38:04 PM   #7
M3 dude

Australia

there's a crowd in Australia (Harrop) that now make a 2 piece fully floating race disk in the oem csl/zcp size.

unfortunately, there's a dimension issue with their rotors that they reckon it wont fit oem caliper hardware. luckily you can buy their calipers from them.
Jump to top M3 dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-20-2017, 03:46:44 PM   #8
Monte0704

United States

I would stay away from crossdrilled rotors, because they ALL crack.

Blank face rotors are completely acceptable for track use. NASCAR, even on road courses, only use blank rotors, as do many many other motorsports series.

Use high quality track pads (That you change at the track, I may add.... a track pad isn't safe to drive to the track, due to trash performance when cold.) and really good fluid. I like to use RBF600, or even RBF660.