BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Sat, Apr-15-2017, 05:34:06 PM   #11
westopher

Canada

Default Re: Nick's Estoril/Mulberry M3/4/5 "Build" Thingy That's Probably More of a Restorati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock(/\)ave View Post
You guys need new car buddies who appreciate modern classics and aren't afraid to do their own work. I've met a lot of great people through my cars, not despite them...
There are car enthusiasts, and there are "expensive things" enthusiasts.
I find the e36 gets a ton of attention at C+C type events, even though (most) it really isn't worth much.

98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 100k and officially worthless.
Member journal. http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=491859
Jump to top westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Apr-18-2017, 04:00:57 PM   #12
thirtysixnick

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Nick's Estoril/Mulberry M3/4/5 "Build" Thingy That's Probably More of a Restorati

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKr View Post
Nice color combo! Did you have problems fitting the Dinan intake with the European projectors installed?
I actually did not! The only problem I could see would be installing the actual mounting brackets for it, which I don't have. The intake "hangs" freely but isn't loose at all due to the pretty big filter that somewhat stuffs itself inside the wheel well behind the bumper haha. I plan to get the mounting brackets for it so it's held in properly, and if it requires switching back to the USDM headlights I will. Just will have to get the cleaned up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedunderwear View Post
Great story and wonderful car, keep up the good works!!

Love the blue
Appreciate it! Plan to make it something that I can truly be proud to call mine soon enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock(/\)ave View Post
You guys need new car buddies who appreciate modern classics and aren't afraid to do their own work. I've met a lot of great people through my cars, not despite them...
Yeah all of my buddies are JDM tryhards who think any Euro car is a completely burden and unreliable. I'm not too angry about it, but continually hearing "just sell the POS it has 160k and will never be clean" kinda messes with my head. Once I get the car back up soon I'll start going to more events like C+C (Caffeine & Gasoline here in Tulsa/OKC area) and make new friends that actually appreciate my enthusiasm and share my same ideas haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ13 View Post
Do your "friends" track their cars, or do they just hardpark at car meets and Starbucks?

Almost no one bats an eye at our old cars, but it's refreshing when people do. I drove my car for 30 mins or so yesterday, and got three compliments during that time. Those people understand.
My friends all drive new cars that are bone stock, but manual. They think they're the shit because daddy hooked em up with a sick low mileage ride haha. They can't park anywhere and look cool so I don't know why the try to flex on me like their car is anymore special than my 20 year old BMW. It's funny because an E36 M3 with double the miles they have is still worth more than their car, so....
I'm only saying what I am because I'm just fed up over all the constant banter and have no one or anywhere to vent besides here, so forgive me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
There are car enthusiasts, and there are "expensive things" enthusiasts.
I find the e36 gets a ton of attention at C+C type events, even though (most) it really isn't worth much.
I fall between both car and the expensive thing enthusiast in reality. I really want to make it to a C+C event soon enough because I know someone there will run up and be like " WHO'S IS THIS?". Might take awhile, but it'll happen because I know I'm not the only one who would freak out over an old M3. Only recognition I've gotten in my car (that I've noticed) is a dude in an NC Miata who gave me the thumbs up at a stoplight when he pulled up beside me; Has to be one of the better feelings in life when someone notices your obsession.

Minor update while I'm here:
My dad is borderline wanting to buy me a "new" car a graduation gift so I don't have to worry about reliability on the car I own now.
Only problem about a new car is I would have to ditch the M3... I really never planned on this happening but if all works out I think we're looking at 6MT 135i's.
I don't want to move on from this awesome chassis, but for this time in my life it might almost be a better decision than keeping the M. As of now I'm still saving money from working to get the M3 taken somewhere to be fixed, and not really making any moves towards the 135i, as my dad is the one who will buy it and he knows everything I'd want in one.
If I get the M3 back up before I get a new car I'll probably just tell my dad to forget the new car and ask if he could spare me some change for some new suspension components and bushings; as that would be the next thing on my list after the car is working again.
If I were to get the M3 working before my dad can jump on a new car I will basically be putting most of my funds into getting EVERYTHING preventative done. Going to be taking a break from cosmetics and just make sure the thing as is 100% as it'll get. Cosmetics can always wait, sadly.
Jump to top thirtysixnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-18-2017, 05:31:03 PM   #13
Nate047

In the garage:

United States

Get an M2 if dad is paying :P
Old Tue, Apr-18-2017, 10:09:46 PM   #14
Poorhouse

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtysixnick View Post
Minor update while I'm here:
My dad is borderline wanting to buy me a "new" car a graduation gift so I don't have to worry about reliability on the car I own now.
Only problem about a new car is I would have to ditch the M3... I really never planned on this happening but if all works out I think we're looking at 6MT 135i's.
I don't want to move on from this awesome chassis, but for this time in my life it might almost be a better decision than keeping the M. As of now I'm still saving money from working to get the M3 taken somewhere to be fixed, and not really making any moves towards the 135i, as my dad is the one who will buy it and he knows everything I'd want in one.
If I get the M3 back up before I get a new car I'll probably just tell my dad to forget the new car and ask if he could spare me some change for some new suspension components and bushings; as that would be the next thing on my list after the car is working again.
If I were to get the M3 working before my dad can jump on a new car I will basically be putting most of my funds into getting EVERYTHING preventative done. Going to be taking a break from cosmetics and just make sure the thing as is 100% as it'll get. Cosmetics can always wait, sadly.

If your Dad is paying for school, and offering you reliable transportation (that is also fun), so that you can focus on school, you need to take a step back and look at the situation.

That is a huge opportunity. He doesn't want your focus to be on keeping an old car on the road while you have other things to worry about.
I'm an old guy and can appreciate where he is coming from.
There will be plenty of time for old cars when you are making your own money.
I recommend listening to the old man and doing your best with the opportunity he is giving you.
Old Wed, Apr-19-2017, 02:02:26 PM   #15
englishtom1596q

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poorhouse View Post
If your Dad is paying for school, and offering you reliable transportation (that is also fun), so that you can focus on school, you need to take a step back and look at the situation.

That is a huge opportunity. He doesn't want your focus to be on keeping an old car on the road while you have other things to worry about.
I recommend listening to the old man and doing your best with the opportunity he is giving you.
Agreed.
Old Wed, Apr-19-2017, 04:11:13 PM   #16
thirtysixnick

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate047 View Post
Get an M2 if dad is paying :P
Lord, I could only imagine being in an M2 at the age of 18 (19 tomorrow)
I couldn't convince him to even buy an M2 for himself, let alone me though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poorhouse View Post

Me and him had a pretty long talk yesterday evening about everything and this situations and it looks like we've struck a deal.
Since he told me he knows the M3 is an investment alongside being my "daily" he's going to help pay a little for the head rebuild under the conditions that I get the whole car inspected for anything that could be wrong, or is wrong, and have it put down on a list in priority on how I should do it. I'm pretty much done with cosmetics for the time being as I've spent more money on trying to make the car look decent when I should've originally done the "PPI" type deal in the first place.

I'm VERY thankful to have such a supportive dad that see's the value of my car as much as I do and never will I take advantage of this. I plan to baby the car as much as possible after I get it back.
Old Wed, Apr-19-2017, 04:54:06 PM   #17
LockDots

United States

Add RTAB pocket reinforcements to the list
Old Wed, Apr-19-2017, 05:15:37 PM   #18
englishtom1596q

In the garage:

United States

If I were you I'd buy a cheap run of the mill daily driver (cobalt,civic,maxima) etc that is cheap and reliable. That way, when the m3 breaks or a weekend project doesn't get finished in time you have a way to get to work/school. I had a $200 a month lease on a Pontiac G5 in college while I drove my M3 only on weekends and nice days. It's really peace of mind that you have another car ready when you can't or don't want to drive the M3. You can buy a cheap but low mileage daily for 3-4K that will require little to no maintenance for years. This is my advice from someone who's been there with many different project cars.
Old Thu, Apr-20-2017, 02:17:13 PM   #19
thirtysixnick

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDots View Post
Add RTAB pocket reinforcements to the list
Plan to pretty much refresh all bushings and suspension after I get it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishtom1596q View Post
If I were you I'd buy a cheap run of the mill daily driver (cobalt,civic,maxima) etc that is cheap and reliable. That way, when the m3 breaks or a weekend project doesn't get finished in time you have a way to get to work/school. I had a $200 a month lease on a Pontiac G5 in college while I drove my M3 only on weekends and nice days. It's really peace of mind that you have another car ready when you can't or don't want to drive the M3. You can buy a cheap but low mileage daily for 3-4K that will require little to no maintenance for years. This is my advice from someone who's been there with many different project cars.
I'll start looking into a domestic/jap beater that would be close to nothing to drive, but for now I'm okay with the 330 my dad is graciously letting me drive.

ALSO it looks like my dad would now rather a whole new heart for the beast... I don't know if I'd want an engine swap done, but it almost sounds like an upgrade vs just getting a rebuilt head on my 164,xxx mile engine. If I get a "new" engine it would have to be under warranty and of course be tested for good compression and such. Anyone have tips while engine shopping?

Thoughts on engine swap vs top end rebuild??

Last edited by thirtysixnick; Thu, Apr-20-2017 at 02:26:11 PM.