BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Thu, Apr-06-2017, 06:06:22 PM   #91
Shimp52

United States

Default Re: E36 M3 Track Toy

Back in action with the build and coming back to it strong. The car has had an intermittent no start as well as failing idle, particularly on rainy days, for 5-7 months now. I finally got the motivation to get it fixed. Poking around a bit with my new power probe I found the ignition was sending signal and the starter would manually start with 12v but the power wasn't getting to it. Tracing the wire found it went to a box and didn't come back out so I pulled the box out and unsurprisingly found it labeled "EWS". I had already bought a EWS defeated DME thinking that was the problem a while ago so it was a matter of jumping the starter ignition wire, plugging in the DME and it started right up. Idle and stall was fixed too, probably the EWS trying to kill the ignition. I'll be removing any wire that no longer serves a purpose to clean this rats nest up.

Over the winter I got beyond tired of the powersteering leaks and removed the entire system and got a serpentine belt to fit the new routing. 55.0 inches I believe for those wondering. Coupled that with the Condor PS rack loop adaptor.

It has a lifter tap as it always has but now its horrendously loud, got VAC OEM style springs rated 10+lbs over stock M50 springs and full set of new lifters.

The 2 year old plastidip job has not held up to the elements that well and my sunroof has started leaking. It's time to actually paint this thing with a proper paint job. I'm going with a color that's always looked good to me, Mustang Grabber Blue. Will be my first time using a HVLP spray gun.

The water getting in the car was made my Vaders less than mint and its time they went and I got proper racing seats. Going with the moderately priced and FIA approved OMP (HA/741E/N) TRS-E with RaceQuip 5-Point harness..

I will also be fininshing the roll cage with the A pillar knee bar through the dash and a low down second door pipe forming an X making entry and exit as easy as I can.

All mentioned parts and some I'm forgetting are either in my possession already or en route so stay tuned!

Jump to top Shimp52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Apr-06-2017, 07:07:17 PM   #92
betrezra

United States

Thumbs up!
Old Tue, Apr-11-2017, 09:20:21 PM   #93
Shimp52

United States

Seats and harnesses came in last week and got knocked out over the weekend. Could've bought sliders and brackets but wanted to see if I could make my own. Googled "E36 Racing Seat Brackets" and copied a pic I liked. Made the base out of 1" square steel tubing forming a 17.5 x 14" box the brackets would rest on.

The seat brackets were made out of 1/8" steel and 6" tall, in the future I may cut them off and add 2-3" of height, I'd like my current setting just a hair higher but its not so bad that I notice all the time. Started with 16x6 stock cuts and marked what I thought was a neutral position sitting in the car mocking the position with wood blocks. I then measured 2" lines above and below the original marks which would become slider holes to give adjustablity.

Then came the date with the drill press drilling 12 holes total at the ends of the 2" lines

Then used a cutoff wheel to cut the space between the holes resulting in a slider.

Test fit the slider then copied measurements and made the other 3 plates.

Next was installing the seat bracket I welded in, it winds up laying flat against 3 posts and a 1" gap on the rear outer factory mounting point. I added a brace to connect this gap and a small helper piece to give the small contact surface on the front outer edge, my little weld probably would've done just fine but better safe than sorry on the sole piece of safety equipment keeping me alive.

High tech seat bracket leveler, fiddled until it didn't roll either way

The seat was installed with the sliders on and welded to the bracket, then removed so I could weld the insides and harness mounts.

End of Saturday night

Up early for a Sunday getting to work of the harness mounting points. Ones for the lap belts I cut at an angle to match the pull of the belt

Welded up to base plates which then get welded to the floor, I'm aware I'm well past the point of "returning to stock for sale". These 2 are for the outer belt floor mount, the inners are at a 45 degree angle as they sit on the transmission tunnel.

Wound up placing at an offset from the bracket justified as far as I could go in so the seat was at the right spot, if I went higher and over on the bracket I wouldn't have been able to weld the majority of it directly to the frame of the car.

Crotch tether mount on the back of the rail.

And both are now in. Yes, I could've bought aftermarket sliders and had this done in an hour or so but at this point I'm seeing how much I can possibly make myself. It's the joy of the DIY that's why I got this car, I'll try anything and this build has been worth it in how much I've learned how to do and the in and outs of virtually any project you could do on a car. It's a source of pride at a meet talking about the car when I can say not a single person besides me has touched a single bolt to make the car the way it sits now.

Coming up this week is replacing the valve springs and lifters

Last edited by Shimp52; Tue, Apr-11-2017 at 09:27:04 PM.
Old Tue, Apr-18-2017, 12:26:21 AM   #94
Shimp52

United States

The car sounds like a typewriter and I and others have diagnosed it to be a stuck lifter so new springs and lifters are getting put in. Went with the budget friendly VAC High Pressure OE Style Valve Spring for $320 with 10lbs increased seat pressure over stock S52/M52 springs. Still looking nice and clean under the cover.

$1 DIY double valve spring compressor back in action.

There was about a 1-2mm difference in height between the new and old springs, and the difference in pressure could be felt by hand.

Went with AJUSA lifters at $10 a pop, noticable difference in size of the button and the thickness of the internals but the button depth and outer dimensions are identical so I'm just rolling with it.

Finishing up tomorrow and continuing to strip the paint for the upcoming respray.
Old Sun, Apr-30-2017, 01:13:10 AM   #95
Chadrbrewer

In the garage:

United States

I read through the entire build, and I love it. You should be proud of what you have done man!
Jump to top Chadrbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, May-05-2017, 02:28:19 AM   #96
Shimp52

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadrbrewer View Post
I read through the entire build, and I love it. You should be proud of what you have done man!
Thanks man, virtually everything I've done on this is a first for me, happy it's turned out OK too
Old Fri, May-05-2017, 03:48:38 AM   #97
Shimp52

United States

Alright this plastidip and leaky sunroof gotta go! I've been too busy doing this to post during that and photobucket has to run 34 malware/add-on/adverts per picture, I counted the cache list so each pic takes literally 1-3 minutes to load. My dumb ass figured going thinner than recommended on the dip wouldn't be that big a deal but 2 years exposed in the elements has proved me quite wrong. The dip didn't peel off and in certain places had basically bonded to the paint so yeah I had quite a bit of work ahead of me. Out comes the paint strip!

Bare metal is gorgeous, I was seriously contemplating really sanding the metal clean and just clearcoating it.

This is a full restoration so any and all rust was found and fixed, found some hiding underneath the tag light cover.

And under the M3 door sills

Right about here is where I lost my final f**k to give about the appearance of the car. The car still ran and I was enjoying it so much the week prior I didn't drive my daily for 8 days. I raced 3 cars in this condition including a brand new M4 with a perplexed driver that couldn't shake and was cornering slower than a 20 year old derelict even when he got on the straight I was surprised at how relatively well my car kept up with it.

I ran errands like this as well

Alright enough kidding around time to put it in the shop until it emerges as a beautiful butterfly.

Reamed out all the gasket and bondo "sealing" the sunroof, and yup that's a 3 month old duct tape mark.

Honestly I got so caught up in the repair I didn't document this solution I was kinda proud of. Had the idea to use braided wire to fill the gap and weld it shut and it worked out pretty good. It took a while to get the hang of welding the wire which was prone to spatter and burn through compared to the sheetmetal I was bonding it to. Very low volts and high wire feed had the best results but the overall appearance was so so and needed quite a bit of grinding. The underside has a cool appearance because you see the wire in the gap. This is the only pic I have though.

Much more to come soon, I'm done painting the cars back together already actually just haven't had time to post.
Old Tue, May-09-2017, 12:59:32 AM   #98
Shimp52

United States

With the interior out and dash apart I put in the knee bar tying the A-pillars together and added a brace to the transmission tunnel that will greatly increase the front rigidity compared to the intense rear. It might have been in my head but there was always a sense the front was flexing independent of the rear as the cage only gave up and down support at the A-pillars but would have allowed the struts to flex inwards and outwards which gave the car a weird feel. Made a simple brace out of 1/8" steel.

I have still elected to not add the X-brace up front for easy access, without a disconnect steering wheel it would be really challenging with the bucket seats.

I've grown tired of jiggling bulbs to get them to work so I decided to convert the tail lights to LED.

Using a dremel I cut 2 notches into the respective circuit boards that I needed the power from. Then made a loop out of the exposed wire and looped it in the notches. Then soldered the notches, sort of encasing the notch on top and bottom making it so the solder could not break free of its connections unless it crumbled apart.

I widened an existing hole in the housing for the brake and running lights and made a new one above that for the turn signals to get the wires inside the housing.

Used 3 LED strips in the brake/running light area, 2 for running and 1 for brake. This works fine at night but I may add 2 more strips for a total of 3 brake LEDs as I think they may be hard to see in the daytime. It's hard to tell who is riding my ass and braking late because they can't see my brake lights and who is just being a standard Maryland driver. I'm running 2 smaller amber LED strips with a 6ohm resistor for the turn signals.

Then it was just a matter of mapping what did what and connecting the wires to the board. The resistor I just wrapped in bubble wrap and stuffed in the unused inner housing.

Old Tue, Jun-20-2017, 12:33:33 AM   #99
Shimp52

United States

Redid the shaved passenger strut tower.

Touched up the previous rust repair on the quarter panel seam that rusted out

Redid a majority of the seals I could get that didn't cost an arm and a leg. Window seals, rear window seal, vent seals, trunk seal, door handle gaskets, and some others. ECS had 25% off all OEM seals several months ago and I stocked up.

Late nights at the shop. Love me some Mighty Mods in the background while I work.

Fully stripped and ready for primer.

Went with TCP 3 piece air gun kit with a 1.4, 1.8, and 1.0 tip. The kit worked great for $90. The mini gun was great for getting all the angles inside the cage and upright like the corners of the roof where the canister on the larger ones would hit stuff or have to be at an improper angle.

Went with a metal sealer primer purely based off the fact the container had a T-Rex mauling another dinosaur on it.

Coated up and ready for filler primer

The good stuff, Grabber Blue going on.

Taillights turned out alright, wound up adding an extra LED strip for the running and brakes for more brightness.

Wound up not taping this up as good as I thought I did and got overspray all over the motor, it's not terrible but if you look too long you'll notice.

Impulse buy, ebay radiator.

I needed another gallon to make this shiny and nice but ran into a time crunch to get this done by a certain date not of my choosing really. I have another gallon ready to go and will likely go widebody this winter and use it then while getting this thing as is to the racetrack this summer. My Jettas been screwy for over month and I've actually been dailying this M3 since then with no issues. Was weird seeing water bead off the BMW for the first time in 2 or so years.

Made it's painted debut at Panda Junction and got lots of attention and love for the DIY.

Last edited by Shimp52; Tue, Jun-20-2017 at 12:37:34 AM.
Old Tue, Jun-20-2017, 03:28:48 PM   #100
MR E30

United States

Phew, those homemade wooden jack stands are a sight to see. As a structural engineer and an enthusiastic wrencher, that is the most hackjob way I have seen in quite a while to hold a car up, especially on gravel. Especially since you were pounding out a metal sleeved bushing. Wowza.

Glad you're OK!

I built an E30 with a similar mentality/goal to your current build. Empty chassis with a cage, supercharged S52 in the engine bay, and solid/super hard poly mounts throughout the entire underside.

It became very very unbearable to drive for more than 45 minutes. I'd take it on 6-12 hour trips and it was utterly exhausting only a couple of hours in.

Good luck with your build!
Jump to top MR E30 is offline   Reply With Quote