BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Thu, Mar-30-2017, 09:38:52 AM   #1
RevelationM3

United States

Default HELP!!!!!! RSM on convertible

I have 98 M3 convertible with a full automatic top and I'm trying to access the rear shock mounts but I can't get the top down or even to unlatch from the windshield. I've pulled the magic lever under the rear seats. Pulled fuse 7. Spun the little Allen key (which is pushing the motor down and not moving anything else) I'm at a total loss here. The rear struts have never been changed. Not even once it's time to replace them but I have no clue how to get the damn top off. If anyone has any good advice, please do not hesitate to share. My metal grinder is looking at me like it can solve the problem.
Jump to top RevelationM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Mar-31-2017, 03:07:19 PM   #2
Mlastwo

United States

Default Re: HELP!!!!!! RSM on convertible

To manually open the top you need to pull the level underneath the rear seat, open your trunk there two motors that need to unlatched, the top cover motor which is on the left top side of the trunk and the motor on left tucked in behind a metal piece. After that use allen wrench on the release which is inside the vehicle on top of your head by the windshield, keep cranking it it takes some times to open half way then use your hand to fully open it by lifting the rear section first if the top so the lid will come up and you will find a rubber covering the two bolts holding the rear shocks.
Jump to top Mlastwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-31-2017, 04:04:18 PM   #3
RevelationM3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlastwo View Post
To manually open the top you need to pull the level underneath the rear seat, open your trunk there two motors that need to unlatched, the top cover motor which is on the left top side of the trunk and the motor on left tucked in behind a metal piece. After that use allen wrench on the release which is inside the vehicle on top of your head by the windshield, keep cranking it it takes some times to open half way then use your hand to fully open it by lifting the rear section first if the top so the lid will come up and you will find a rubber covering the two bolts holding the rear shocks.
I appreciate the reply. When I turn the Allen key to the right just one full turn it begins to push, just the latch motor away from the windshield. Digging into the top. If I turn it to the left the bolt comes completely out. This is were I'm stuck.
Old Fri, Mar-31-2017, 11:33:37 PM   #4
Mlastwo

United States

Can you check the rear of the soft top if it's still completely closed shut or there is a little slack ?
Jump to top Mlastwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-04-2017, 04:28:59 AM   #5
haines

In the garage:

United States

It sounds like what ever clip that holds the Allen in is broken. That bold should not come out. When it does come out, is it just the shaft or does the gear come out too? Does it look like the picture below?

The first time I manually put my top down I stripped the gears in the front motor and had to replace it. It does take a lot of rotations, probably a few hundred. If you are not able to manually operate the front motor with the Allen bolt then you might need to gain access to the motor and disconnect the two flexible shafts to move the top.

Last edited by haines; Tue, Apr-04-2017 at 04:38:25 AM.
Jump to top haines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Apr-08-2017, 12:53:23 AM   #6
RevelationM3

United States

The bolt only comes out. Now the gear. There a plastic piece behind it that has broken letting the bolt pass through. I'm just trying to replace the rear shocks and shock mounts
Old Sat, Apr-08-2017, 01:05:06 AM   #7
RevelationM3

United States

The lid for the soft top is loose but still firmly head in place by the top. Nothing from the soft top will move.