BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Sat, Apr-01-2017, 05:08:37 AM   #11
thirtysixnick

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: E36 M3 vs S13 Coupe Trade Question

ahhh so many good points, I'll just chill till I can get the M3 evaluated at a nice shop. I definitely still have a sour taste in my mouth from the money shift... I just hate seeing it sit and I'm SO ready to drive it lol
Jump to top thirtysixnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Apr-01-2017, 05:18:12 AM   #12
fiveightandten
He'll save children, but not the British children...

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by betrezra View Post
why not put a $1500 long block in the M?
Because when you're paying a shop, that $1500 becomes a lot more expensive. It sounds like pulling the head off isn't something he's comfortable with, but it's at least within reach (making that job relatively cost effective). Swapping an entire engine is another ballgame.

1986 325es || 2003 330ci || 1998 M3/4/5
Jump to top fiveightandten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Apr-01-2017, 05:30:34 AM   #13
fiveightandten

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtysixnick View Post
ahhh so many good points, I'll just chill till I can get the M3 evaluated at a nice shop. I definitely still have a sour taste in my mouth from the money shift... I just hate seeing it sit and I'm SO ready to drive it lol
Get a Bentley manual, pull the head yourself. Either get a refurb head, or have a machine shop make yours right. If you get a different head, take your time pulling yours apart after the car is back in action. You can sell the cams, and some other parts.

Look at it this way; you bought an enthusiast car. You clearly planned on getting your hands dirty with it and wrenching. It sucks to have a job forced on you that is out of your comfort level or skill set. But if you DIY, the cost will be about what you'd pay to put a new suspension setup on the car. It's not THAT bad, and in the end, you'll come out as someone able to wrench pretty much any job on the car.

It's a learning experience, and when you're driving a car that YOU put together, it's pretty damned rewarding. Many of us have taken huge amounts of our cars apart and put them back together, with our own hands. You have an enthusiast car with a lot of heritage behind it. This is part of the ownership experience for a car like that in 2017. You're hanging with the big boys, people that wrench on the level of professional mechanics. I think it sounds like you can handle the job. Not quickly, mind you, but methodically, you can get through it.

Old Sat, Apr-01-2017, 05:33:48 AM   #14
thirtysixnick

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveightandten View Post
Because when you're paying a shop, that $1500 becomes a lot more expensive. It sounds like pulling the head off isn't something he's comfortable with, but it's at least within reach (making that job relatively cost effective). Swapping an entire engine is another ballgame.
Sadly this... My 25 hours a week part time job doesn't really suffice and I don't care to pick up any more shifts as I'd like to finish my senior year in HS with all my credits.

Wouldn't mind a minty S52 or S54 swap, but I'll save that till the engine is on it's last breath (which with how I'm driving it won't be too far away ) and I can afford it and have a daily that's fully mine.

To sort of clear up the S13 talk, I honestly just want a car that works and is mine, so I've started looking at other things that I really shouldn't because they'd be just as a big of a "project" as the M3 has been, and they'd only be half the value, and not even half the fun, of an M car.

Lesson from all of this: remember why you do what you do, and don't stray from it when it gets tough.

Last edited by thirtysixnick; Sat, Apr-01-2017 at 05:34:12 AM. Reason: grammar lul
Old Sat, Apr-01-2017, 05:39:59 AM   #15
fiveightandten

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtysixnick View Post
Sadly this... My 25 hours a week part time job doesn't really suffice and I don't care to pick up any more shifts as I'd like to finish my senior year in HS with all my credits.

Wouldn't mind a minty S52 or S54 swap, but I'll save that till the engine is on it's last breath (which with how I'm driving it won't be too far away ) and I can afford it and have a daily that's fully mine.

To sort of clear up the S13 talk, I honestly just want a car that works and is mine, so I've started looking at other things that I really shouldn't because they'd be just as a big of a "project" as the M3 has been, and they'd only be half the value, and not even half the fun, of an M car.

Lesson from all of this: remember why you do what you do, and don't stray from it when it gets tough.
I'd DIY the head. It'll be a reasonable cost.

I popped the head gasket on my Integra GS-R when I was in my early 20's. I didn't have a ton of money, and didn't even have a garage to work in. I borrowed a canopy from a friend and pulled the head off the car in the parking lot of my apartment building. I drove it to a machine shop, paid them $300 to deck it, clean it, and pressure test it...then I put it back on the car.

An S52 head is more complex, but it's still doable if you have a Bentley manual and the aftermarket support that's available online for these cars.

Oh, and it's a bit off topic, but here's a good example of what people are capable of in their garages. This dude took an E30 apart and put it back together. Literally took it apart down to the bare shell. Just some inspiration.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=251334

Last edited by fiveightandten; Sat, Apr-01-2017 at 05:43:32 AM.
Old Thu, Apr-06-2017, 01:47:50 AM   #16
PITT M3 RR
PA

In the garage:

United States

Make sure you're confident you can pull it off though! I'd hate to see this turn into one of those FS adds for a car with a rusted block, no head and soggy cardboard boxes full of unlabeled parts.

Throw an add up on CL and check your regional area forum. Someone may be willing to lend a hand. Wish you were closer.
Old Thu, Apr-06-2017, 04:35:31 AM   #17
EY84002

In the garage:

United States

Sounds like you've got the idea but let me add this. Chicks are gonna dig that sweet a*s Estoril M3 1000x more than that red 240sx. You seem like a well spoken kid, works hard, and knows how to set a goal and reach it.....you drive an Estoril M3....not a "pretty rust free" 240sx.

I understand the sour feeling with the M3, but feeling you get next time you start it up and drive it (whenever that is) is going to be amazing. Sounds cliche, but this is a good life lesson. You made a mistake...live with it, fix it, and know it made you, and the car, stronger.

Lastly, from reading your prior post, it sounds like your father is pretty darn cool.
Old Thu, Apr-06-2017, 01:13:26 PM   #18
thirtysixnick

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITT M3 RR View Post
Make sure you're confident you can pull it off though! I'd hate to see this turn into one of those FS adds for a car with a rusted block, no head and soggy cardboard boxes full of unlabeled parts.

Throw an add up on CL and check your regional area forum. Someone may be willing to lend a hand. Wish you were closer.
I'm still debating on doing all this DIY bologna... I'm pretty limited with tools, but I know it would save me a LOT of money.
I feel like just saving up $1000 more than what I'd do with DIY would give me enough to get it to a reputable shop. Either way, if I do DIY I'll probably look into seeing if anyone around me would be willing to help. This car will never turn into something as you described though, I'm too obsessed with this damn thing to let it be ruined like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EY84002 View Post
Sounds like you've got the idea but let me add this. Chicks are gonna dig that sweet a*s Estoril M3 1000x more than that red 240sx. You seem like a well spoken kid, works hard, and knows how to set a goal and reach it.....you drive an Estoril M3....not a "pretty rust free" 240sx.

I understand the sour feeling with the M3, but feeling you get next time you start it up and drive it (whenever that is) is going to be amazing. Sounds cliche, but this is a good life lesson. You made a mistake...live with it, fix it, and know it made you, and the car, stronger.

Lastly, from reading your prior post, it sounds like your father is pretty darn cool.
AHH, you're killing me with excitement from thinking about the next time I'll be driving it. I appreciate the compliments/encouragement. You're definitely right about how much better the ///M is. All of this has been a great lesson and I can almost 100% promise, this BS won't happen again. I pride myself on being a proper driver and this incident has really made me question whether I'm actually a good driver or not; Either way, I'm going to live and learn from this situation and improve my shifting methods.

Thanks again for the encouragement as not being able to drive her is destroying, yet building, my motivation.
Old Thu, Apr-06-2017, 01:50:11 PM   #19
mewantkouki

United States

I've had 10 different 240sx's... lol That $3800 s13 is an $2000 car tops. As far as the potential of the 240sx, there is no question about that. If you work on cars a bolt on 300-350whp sr20det engine swap will cost you around 4k to do it correctly. (If you do the work yourself) Factor in suspension, brakes and replacing all of the old 25 year old crap on an s-chassis and you add on another 3k easily. So in the end you should be around 7-9k on average to have a reliably performing car.

Drawbacks: theft, they are OLD and every piece of plastic / viny in that car is waiting to disintegrate in your eager hands.

Overall I think the M3 is a more solid and better overall car from a quality standpoint. If you want to go fast and not spend a ton of money then the 240sx can't be beat in terms of bang for your buck.

I would advise if you decide to go down the Nissan rabbit hole, stay FAR away from an s13. Opt for an s14 95-98. MUCH better car, and pretty much every suspension / interior "upgrade" for an s13 will come from an s14.

I'm actually interested on doing an unbiased comparison of the two cars now that I currently own a 95 m3.
Jump to top mewantkouki is offline   Reply With Quote