BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, May-02-2014, 08:20:53 AM   #21
turbo_f22_pilot

United States

Default Re: Meaty tire setup for ZCP wheels

My preferred setup is 235/35 - 275/30. In the front, turn in is a little slower than the 225, yet the understeer is tolerable and predictable. The rear feels more planted and tracks better with the 275s. The 265s trammed too much for me and weren't as predictaable as either the 255 or 275. That was with the following Conti DW, DWS, SC3, SC2, and PS.

CAR:
2003 TIAG Coupe / Blk Interior / SMG / HK Premium
MODS:
EU-CSL Coded / Macht Schnell intake / OEM CSL Wheels / OEM CSL Diffuser / Dinan Exhaust
Full LED Conversion / HID fog / Aurora AE / RE RTAB FCAB

BMWCCA NCC
Jump to top turbo_f22_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Jun-22-2014, 05:58:08 AM   #22
BrandonDunivent

In the garage:

United States

Thank you everyone for your advice and input! I just wanted to come back and let you all know what i decided to go with.

For the front tires

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S - 225/40zr/19xl
18mm spacers

rear tires

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S - 255/35zr/19xl
12mm spacers

Heres a little teaser shot...

So in the end, not a super meaty tire. Considering ride height and spacers, I didn't want to have the issues of rubbing and with this setup, there is no rubbing. Im happy with the overall look/stance, but more importantly, about the "performance" of the tires.

If anyone wants other pictures of the setup just let me know.

Thanks everyone!

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________________________________
| Supersprint Race Exhaust | Beisan Vanos upgrade| Dinan DME tune | ST coils | pc CSL rims w PA/S | Alu. BMWPedals | Alu. SMG paddles | Orion v2 AE | Depo led turn signals/side markers | Turner RSF plates |
Jump to top BrandonDunivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jun-22-2014, 12:52:05 PM   #23
ECB

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonDunivent View Post
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S
Just curious as to why you went with all season tires if you're in SoCal. Thanks!

2004 M3 / 2003 M5 / 2007 Porsche 911 turbo / 2016 428i
Jump to top ECB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jun-22-2014, 02:09:48 PM   #24
twboy1999

Canada

micheline a/s is not much cheaper than PSS

oh well, you already bought it
2013 Nissan GTR white/black (gone but not forgotten)
Jump to top twboy1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jun-22-2014, 02:39:42 PM   #25
ianmason

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonDunivent View Post
Thank you everyone for your advice and input! I just wanted to come back and let you all know what i decided to go with.

For the front tires

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S - 225/40zr/19xl
18mm spacers

rear tires

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S - 255/35zr/19xl
12mm spacers

Heres a little teaser shot...

So in the end, not a super meaty tire. Considering ride height and spacers, I didn't want to have the issues of rubbing and with this setup, there is no rubbing. Im happy with the overall look/stance, but more importantly, about the "performance" of the tires.

If anyone wants other pictures of the setup just let me know.

Thanks everyone!

Performance? You put an all season tire on, there is nothing about performance with that setup.
Jump to top ianmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jun-22-2014, 04:21:04 PM   #26
mexglx
'05 E46 ZCP

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
For the front tires

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S

I run the the stock size Mich pilot A/S on the street cause thats what it came with when i bought it used. I then had another set of 245/275's for the track and loved it after driving it. As soon as the A/S wear out i am going back to the 245/275 daily.

I will run A/S tires in Memphis as we get TONS of rain and occasional sleet and snow in the winter months.

The stock sizes do not provide enough rim protection. I bought the car and all the wheels had curb rash. I had it and just touched a curb ( and couldn't believe it touched the rim. My mistake but i got zero rim protection from the 255 in the rear. Just laying the rims down in the garage you could see and hear the difference in rim protection.

I do agree that the stock sizes tramline less, less noise and less feel. So if you want more feel and performance and protection go wider. If you don't any more feel, NVH, and steering feedback, stay stock.
Old Wed, Jun-25-2014, 01:56:04 AM   #27
BrandonDunivent

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECB View Post
Just curious as to why you went with all season tires if you're in SoCal. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twboy1999 View Post
micheline a/s is not much cheaper than PSS

oh well, you already bought it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmason View Post
Performance? You put an all season tire on, there is nothing about performance with that setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexglx View Post

I run the the stock size Mich pilot A/S on the street cause thats what it came with when i bought it used. I then had another set of 245/275's for the track and loved it after driving it. As soon as the A/S wear out i am going back to the 245/275 daily.

I will run A/S tires in Memphis as we get TONS of rain and occasional sleet and snow in the winter months.

The stock sizes do not provide enough rim protection. I bought the car and all the wheels had curb rash. I had it and just touched a curb ( and couldn't believe it touched the rim. My mistake but i got zero rim protection from the 255 in the rear. Just laying the rims down in the garage you could see and hear the difference in rim protection.

I do agree that the stock sizes tramline less, less noise and less feel. So if you want more feel and performance and protection go wider. If you don't any more feel, NVH, and steering feedback, stay stock.

Thanks for your feedback. The reason for going with the all season tires was based off three things. First: wear life (15,000 pss vs 22,500 a/s), second: price (got a better deal on the a/s), and third, class: what tire best suits my driving. This is my daily, so I wanted them to last longer, and I wanted a more comfortable ride with this setup. The previous tires that came on the car were a set of Khumo Ecsta’s so there is a performance difference. Car feels great, and performs great. When their life is done we’ll see whats next.. Thanks.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________________________________
| Supersprint Race Exhaust | Beisan Vanos upgrade| Dinan DME tune | ST coils | pc CSL rims w PA/S | Alu. BMWPedals | Alu. SMG paddles | Orion v2 AE | Depo led turn signals/side markers | Turner RSF plates |
Jump to top BrandonDunivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jun-25-2014, 02:55:05 AM   #28
EricSMG
40 something

United States

Sigh. So many opinions.

The Pilot AS.3 kicks ass as a performance tire. Far better than a cheap summer tire. I know because I ran them back to back with PSS. Very small treadeoff for pure street use but a smoother ride.

Don't believe me? Read the TR tests.

OP, you did great. Sizes are perfect, too.

Current - 2017 F82 M4 ZCP DCT Blk/Blk Fully Loaded
Current - 2004 E46 M3 6MT SG/Black
Sold - 2018 F80 M3 ZCP 6MT AW/Black Cloth "stripper"
Jump to top EricSMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jun-25-2014, 04:08:18 AM   #29
bmwJohhnyD
user formerly known as bmwbob

United Nations

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSMG View Post
Sigh. So many opinions.

The Pilot AS.3 kicks ass as a performance tire. Far better than a cheap summer tire. I know because I ran them back to back with PSS. Very small treadeoff for pure street use but a smoother ride.

Don't believe me? Read the TR tests.

OP, you did great. Sizes are perfect, too.
this. i have the as3 and they are on par with super sports on hauling ass street driving. not sure about track events.
Jump to top bmwJohhnyD is offline   Reply With Quote