BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sun, Feb-24-2013, 11:36:27 PM   #501
SteveEvans

United Kingdom

Default Re: SMG troubleshooting FAQ

Same problem reported in another thread ended up with THIS solution.

And another HERE with some great photos of the cause of the problem.

Both of the above report the same error code and the same cause, so got to be worthy of consideration.

It sounds to me like you may have this issue just developing, and that if you keep driving the car it could turn into a rather more expensive repair job.

In summary:

Quote:
Cause: Plastic ball pin at one end of clutch fork broke causing the piston to push further on the fork thus hitting the pressure plate. Spinning pressure plate grinded some metal off of the clutch fork making it thin enough for the piston to punch a hole through it. Clutch is now inop.

Correction: Removed transmission and replace ball pin, spring clip, clutch fork, and new clutch assembly.
Steve
Jump to top SteveEvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Mar-02-2013, 03:28:56 PM   #502
TXM3er
'05 SMG

This thread saved me $3474. I have a local mechanic (spec in BMW/Mercedes) who is great. But since this was SMG, I decided to take to dealer where I bought it new in '05. Dealer quoted $3750 to REPLACE SMG pump. I started reading this thread and asked my "service adviser" if the tech looked at replacing the RELAY. Tech came back and said it would not work so i called my local guy - turns out he has worked on SMG problems often. He read the error codes, replaced the relay and downloaded new software. His cost was $276. Car runs perfectly now. So thank you M3 Forum!
Jump to top TXM3er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-05-2013, 03:17:43 AM   #503
heom3
HeoM3

United States

Hi Hal,
Your FAQ is a gem.

The auto was driving fine. This morning, 3/4 cant get her to start. Took many try to get her to "0", from blank, not "1", but she refuse to start. Do remember, the SMG icon remained yellow in the dashboard. also the SES icon. I'm seeing $4k gone in a hurry.

Spend the morning at work, going through your FAQ. Got to post #200's and feel quite confident. On the way home bought the relay at Rusnak BMW in TO, CA, $16.

Got home, follow the instructions from the FAQ:

1. check fluid, above max
2. close all doors, hood, trunk again. problem still there.
3. disconnect battery ground cable for 1 hours, nothing changed
4. disconnect the battery again, install the relay, reconnect battery
5. same problem, lock and unlock the car, no sound of smg pump priming
6. power on, able to go to "0", car wont start, SMG and SES message persist
7. recycle power, this time able to start, but SMG and SES still there
8. get into gears, drive away with the messages
9. go about 2 miles, messages still there
10.turn her off and on again, SMG went away.
11. drive another 2 miles, SES remained.
12. turn her off, disconnect battery ground for 5 minutes
13. Reconnect, SES gone! Reset Clock
14. Praise the lords at M3Forum, Hal et al

I do remember now that prior to the failure, it was hard getting her into "0" to start. The problem was intermittent for about 2 months. Experienced problem bout 4,5 times.

Now, unlock the car, the used-to-be annoyance of the SMG pump priming is music indeed.

Again, thank you all.

Jump to top heom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-12-2013, 09:49:33 PM   #504
BlakBond

In the garage:

United States

Does anyone know where i can get the compression springs from? And are they in the transmisson meaning the manual trans has the same springs?
Jump to top BlakBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-12-2013, 10:35:02 PM   #505
RedM3/4

United States

Use realoem.com to find part numbers; they aren't the same as manual tranny. Then call dealer or search parts online!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Jump to top RedM3/4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Mar-16-2013, 08:06:35 PM   #506
Rontgen

United States

I put this together to hopefully help troubleshoot the Hydraulic Unit activation circuit. There are two fuses (F102 & F1) that protect this circuit. I've also made notes with pin numbers (both relay and socket) at the salmon relay.

It appears as though the HU motor is the common failure point, although I'm not sure if it's typically an open/shorted winding or a mechanical failure? Regardless, I've included a typical resistance (as measured on my car) that you should read across the motor windings. The DME Electronics ground stud is on the firewall, just behind the DME. That reading is taken with the relay unplugged, directly at the relay socket.

**Disclaimer** - If you are not comfortable with a digital multimeter and/or do not understand the concept of electrical resistance, you should find someone who is to help!

Hope this helps!

2001 M5
Jet Black / Black
Jump to top Rontgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Mar-17-2013, 02:48:07 PM   #507
vahags_M3

United States

Just wanted to let you all know that the problem was solved by changing the GEAR POSITION SENSOR.

the car drives great now and I got the work done at Boston Motorwerks in Belmont, MA. Rob is a professional and knows his stuff. HE PULLED 150 HARD FAULTS FOR THE GPS! WOW!

I did get the SMG PUMP changed at the previous mechanic who suggested changing the whole trans after the pump did not solve the problem. THE CAR DRIVES LIKE BRAND NEW NOW.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP AND GOOD LUCK IF YOU STILL HAVE ISSUES

Last edited by vahags_M3; Mon, Mar-18-2013 at 01:22:25 AM.
Jump to top vahags_M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Mar-31-2013, 10:04:36 PM   #508
///MATTY C

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MATTY C View Post
Attachment 163464

This is the code that my car keeps displaying. It has started to kick me into neutral and won't engage any gears. Do you think a new GPS will fix the problem?
Any ideas how to add a vid to a post? I can show you guys exactly what was happening. Every time I drove and tried to shift from 1st to 2nd it would disengage and drop me to first. I would also have delayed shifts from 2-3. This would force me to stop and restart my car. This past week I replaced my GPS sensor and problem has gone away. Knock on wood it stays that way.

Last edited by ///MATTY C; Sun, Mar-31-2013 at 10:08:39 PM.
Jump to top ///MATTY C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Apr-06-2013, 04:18:04 PM   #509
07'335i

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaja23 View Post
You might want to add information about checking the SMG fluid to make sure its full and checking for leaks etc. I remember someone posting here about a SMG issue and it was caused by a kink in a hose coming from the SMG reservoir.
what this guy said i just found a leak coming from smg somewhere i believe. the fluid is green and saturated so im assuming it is pentosin. just worried as to where this leak is actually coming from as i haven't had the chance to pull anything off just looked at it with a flashlight and its apparent there is a leak somewhere. really worried as to how much this is gonna set me back.

thanks in advance for any help.

Jacob
Jump to top 07'335i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Apr-06-2013, 09:18:47 PM   #510
RedM3/4

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07'335i View Post
what this guy said i just found a leak coming from smg somewhere i believe. the fluid is green and saturated so im assuming it is pentosin. just worried as to where this leak is actually coming from as i haven't had the chance to pull anything off just looked at it with a flashlight and its apparent there is a leak somewhere. really worried as to how much this is gonna set me back.

thanks in advance for any help.

Jacob
Have you checked the Pentosin fluid level? Keep it full so you don't get air in the system. If it's full/almost full then it's a slow leak.
ADS

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Jump to top RedM3/4 is offline   Reply With Quote