BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Jan-16-2018, 02:08:55 AM   #11
icecream
Registered Apples

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Exhaust Mods: Is there a gold standard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FK View Post
You want a good sounding car yesh? Buy a car with a V8.

This car sounds like a trash panda caught in a blender.
Have you actually heard that in person? The vids don't do it justice.
Jump to top icecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Jan-16-2018, 02:19:46 AM   #12
simon_c

United States

Supersprint Stepped V1, SS V1 catted, SS resonated sec2, SS sport. This is my ideal setup.
Old Tue, Jan-16-2018, 04:18:36 AM   #13

In the garage:

United States

Every catted car sounds like poop.

Engine: Lang Racing stage 2.5 head, Schrick 288/280 cams, ARP studs, JE cut-ring HG, TTFS, Beisans vanos, afe intake, CSL headers, SGT scza section 3.

Driveline: Clutch Masters FX725, AKG stage II shifter, Vibra technics engine and trans mounts

Suspension: Bilstein coilovers, camber mod, UUC sways, PFC direct drive, PFC 08's, Nitto NT05's.

Instagram: instatroll_zach
Jump to top . is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jan-16-2018, 02:53:41 PM   #14
Rabidfox

United States

Started a much larger post and decided against it. Long time lurker...I had same question and combined a bunch of posts and countless hours of a very confused wife's worth of youtubing to come up with the below. I'll try and keep it to "1911" instead of all the "Taurus vs Kimber" stuff.

Upstream is relatively straightforward with minimal differences beyond pricing and volume...tone CAN/DOES change depending on what you go with but nowhere near as much as with sec3. (Hard mode: difference between CPI RTX vs SGT rasp eliminator vs rogue rasp eliminator. Easy mode: diff between SS race and SGT Scorza) Stepped vs nonstepped seems to be mostly a performance thing. I haven't heard much of a tone difference between them. This formula seems to be the best as far as low/no drone, decent performance, no crazy bee's raping a chainsaw tone (obv it'll vary on what pieces you put where)

Catless headers > resonated OR catted section 1 > straight xpipe (resonated for cats)

Section 3 is where it gets weird-ish:
Gut the stocker - save weight and increase volume. Tone gets lower/gruntier but it's mostly upstream that does the tone.

eBay $200 muffler - save weight and a huge increase in volume - pretty much like running no sec3 at all as its pretty much just curved piping and a couple resonators with chrome or black tips. personally i'd rather run an electronic cutout in an x-pipe sec2 so i can have selectable dickmode instead of fulltime.

SS Sport/Status Gruppe Tuning Scorza - prob best tone and volume mix i've found. some of the few that actually change the tone while keeping volume down. If you listen to hundreds of exhaust videos you will probably be able to pick these out by sound alone regardless of whats upstream. My top pick for the mix of sound/performance and wifeability (not having to drive her boring ass 328 when we go places)

SS Race/Rogue El Diablo/Agency Power whatever-the-hell-its-called - decent tone but high volume. lowest wifeability highest lookmaw imaracecar

subjective "best" sound/performance/price: CPI stepped header > CPI RTX > Rogue engineering straight x-pipe (or a modded SGT to save cost) > electronic cutout > SGT Scorza

Last edited by Rabidfox; Tue, Jan-16-2018 at 03:00:54 PM.
Jump to top Rabidfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jan-16-2018, 03:42:10 PM   #15
BMWjunkie11
That guy

In the garage:

United States

I have a full Supersprint setup, I like it a lot, may at some point go with a catted section 1, I think it may cut down on the rasp a bit; but for now I'm happy with it. But in terms of a "gold standard" I think it really comes down to person preference. I heard this setup when I first bought my car and made it a point to put it together because I loved the sound.

**This is the video that made me want to put together a SS exhaust**

This is my current setup:
Supersprint V1 Stepped headers with Swaintech White Lightning
Supersprint V1 Catless section 1
Supersprint Resonated X-Pipe Section 2
Supersprint Race Muffler with Black Chrome Tips
ITB Stack Intake Setup

2002 Jet Black/Grey ///M3

Full Supersprint Race Exhaust l PSDesigns Velocity Stack Kit l TMS Pulleys l TTFS Custom Alpha-N Tune

"Bags are for dead hookers"

Last edited by BMWjunkie11; Tue, Jan-16-2018 at 03:46:01 PM.
Jump to top BMWjunkie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jan-16-2018, 04:47:34 PM   #16
fattycharged
can't even

In the garage:

Zimbabwe

got that trash panda blend on high
Old Tue, Jan-16-2018, 05:38:57 PM   #17
95bullet

Canada

AR headers and a semi quiet section 2&3 like AA or SS sport. Complete gets rid of the raspy metallic tone and makes the engine sound real smooth and throaty. If you have any other headers besides AR the SCZA muffler is the way to go.

Last edited by 95bullet; Tue, Jan-16-2018 at 05:45:12 PM.
Jump to top 95bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jan-16-2018, 06:34:48 PM   #18
M3_Pilot

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95bullet View Post
AR headers and a semi quiet section 2&3 like AA or SS sport. Complete gets rid of the raspy metallic tone and makes the engine sound real smooth and throaty. If you have any other headers besides AR the SCZA muffler is the way to go.
After I saw your dyno, AR headers have been on my dream list.

2004 Jet Black/Cinnamon 6MT
Jump to top M3_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jan-16-2018, 08:05:02 PM   #19
e46erick

United States

Speaking of exhausts if someone wants to pick up a Remus section 3 with DTM tips from SOCAL for $350 let me know lol
Jump to top e46erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jan-16-2018, 08:09:05 PM   #20
twentyseven
@itsmejonnyv

United States

Headers:
Euro($), CPI($$), or Supersprint($$$$). I think these are the best choices based on the combination of fit, build quality, value and performance. Any non-US factory header should yield a similar change in sound (AR excluded); deeper tone and more "BRAP" increase when you crack the throttle.

Section 1:
Euro catted ($$), Supersprint catted ($$$$), or Rasp eliminator ($). Depending on what you want, the options change depending on the headers you choose. Always run cats even if you must keep the US headers and just add an off the shelf tune. Not only is it more responsible, but your car will be more enjoyable in the long run - doesn't stink and induce headaches, won't get carbon buildup all over the rear end, and cats also 'refine' the sound a bit and keep the rasp from resonating further downstream to where you can't really reduce it.

Section 2:
Stock (Free) is tough to beat. Works great but creates some rasp though. X-pipes will reduce the rasp but cost a decent amount and don't add any noticeable performance. Essentially you can lose more power than you gain here.

Section 3:
At this point, it's personal preference if you get the combination of the first 3 components correct. How LOUD you want, tip style, and how much you want to spend all directly affect your decision. If you want to stay on the quiet end of the spectrum, look at Supersprint Street, Milltek, and Eisenmann Sport. Middle of the road: Supersprint Sport, Dinan, AA, Borla or Eisenmann Race. If you want loud go with SCZA or Larini. IMO these all keep the spirit of the S54's natural sound and offer the variety of tips and weight loss that would satisfy most people. This is the area where you will make the most compromise though, either in tolerance or cost...

Always remember the cheaper stuff is affordable because they generally use thinner walled material, which is a contributing factor to drone. Also many people have gone full circle, reusing a stock muffler and adding a CSL airbox instead to effectively get the best of all worlds. Be discerning in what you want though, and don't rush - there are so many combinations it takes time to really find what makes you happy. And it's a PITA to constantly be changing exhaust components!

If I were you, i'd try adding some AR20 style resonators to your race catted section 1. That may be just enough to reduce what you don't like about yours and it's a cheap/easy step before you start going down this rabbit hole. CPI used to offer a similar setup like so:

Last edited by twentyseven; Tue, Jan-16-2018 at 08:15:49 PM.
Jump to top twentyseven is offline   Reply With Quote