BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sun, Sep-16-2018, 01:25:38 AM   #1
BTB

In the garage:

United States

Default Clutch issues... ugh

Hey guys... my magnificent automobile has developed yet another fun little 'quirk'. Would love to get some opinions, though ultimately I'll have to take it to a shop.

A little prologue: I've been running a JB aluminum single mass flywheel for the last ~37k miles. The clutchmasters sprung clutch that came with the kit blew up on track ~12k miles ago. Unfortunately, the idiot that I am decided to put a stock clutch in with the JB smf as a replacement instead of a stock dmf kit (been running this since). A new slave cylinder, metal pivot pin, and new clutch line was also installed.

Now onto the problem. Just recently (past month, maybe two) I've noticed the car requires increased effort to get into 1st gear from a stop. More often when I reach for 1st I get the big M clunk but the shifter won't budge into the gate, only after clutching out and maybe hitting second (also not so smooth) can I get it, but even then it can be very notchy and just requires too much force (changed my trans fluid recently). I understand this indicates that the clutch isn't disengaging all the way; I didn't think this was the case because when I rev up the car at a standstill, first gear engaged and clutch disengaged, the car doesn't move at all.

Just today I went for a nice drive though and did some more testing: when driving around in first or second, if I clutch in and then rev up the engine, the car lurches slightly when the revs begin to fall again. Surely something isn't working quite right in the clutch system, I'm not sure what though. Any ideas? I was wondering if the clutch was wearing unevenly, though it does slip nice and smoothly, or if this issue has more to do with the hydraulics. I'm sure it has to do with the aggressive natural of a smf in combination with the stock clutch. Going from engine braking to slightly on throttle, no matter how delicate you are, is a rather jerky experience (I don't use sport mode). Something is lose or broken or will be broken but I don't know what.

Just wondering if you guys have an idea of what is failing? The car is still drivable but I don't like shifting it as is (mostly only an issue at a stop, but still). How is it that the car jerks slightly when I rev it up in gear while rolling, but at a complete stop revving it doesn't seem to do much? I plan to put a new stock flywheel, pp, and clutch in and just go back to oe goodness.

PS: While I drive my car aggressively at times, I'd say I'm as gentle on the drivetrain as I can be. I've driven a lot of manual cars for many miles and never developed a clutch issue (other than the blown clutchmasters kevlar one..). Just saying, if you couldn't figure it out yourself, I don't think it's wise to run a single mass flywheel with a stock rigid disk, especially on a daily.
Jump to top BTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Sep-16-2018, 02:08:24 AM   #2
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Clutch issues... ugh

You can always try bleeding the clutch, but it sounds like she needs to get opened back up
Jump to top Drewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Sep-16-2018, 02:35:13 AM   #3
Ace280

In the garage:

United States

What transmission fluid did you use?

Power Mods - RE Pullies, Fan delete, TTFS Tune, Euro Header, Euro Cats, B-Line Intake, Borla Muffler, AFD E85 kit, 3.91 diff
Jump to top Ace280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Sep-16-2018, 02:45:35 AM   #4
BTB

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
You can always try bleeding the clutch, but it sounds like she needs to get opened back up
Yeah.. unfortunately don't really have the tools so I should probably just bring it in. Maybe my master cylinder is leaking..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace280 View Post
What transmission fluid did you use?
Pentosin
Old Sun, Sep-16-2018, 02:47:35 AM   #5
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Sounds somewhat similar to how my car felt when my throwout bearing was going
Old Sun, Sep-16-2018, 08:27:14 AM   #6
mrgizmo04

In the garage:

United States

This could be a few mechanical things like fork not properly seated on the pivot pin, pressure plate diaphragm issue, etc.

Unfortunately, I also vote for opening it back up, but, you can try to bleed the slave cylinder to see if there is some air that is maybe causing you to roll forward without disengaging fully.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

All DIY: 330 ZHP steering rack, diffsonline 4.1 diff with rem polish, E60 short shifter lever, AKG black diff bushings/subframe bushings, Rogue rtab, WPC rod bearings, Beyer driveshaft, full SS (SS stepped V1, catted S1, resonated S2, SS sport), Sachs clutch/flywheel, rear main, VANOS bullet proofing with anti-rattle, valve adjustment, cooling refresh, Ohlins R&T/Swift 448f 672r/GC street tops and camber plates, AFD E85 Proflex kit.

Happy to help with VANOS or any other DIY job around NorCal
Jump to top mrgizmo04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Sep-16-2018, 01:45:24 PM   #7
BTB

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
Sounds somewhat similar to how my car felt when my throwout bearing was going
That's interesting, I'm not getting any unusual noises when I clutch in, but still good to know. When I rev up the engine while rolling slightly I get a little clicking noise that accompanies the slight jerking, same noise as you sometimes hear when you clutch in while off throttle at low revs (I usually drive such that this doesn't occur)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
This could be a few mechanical things like fork not properly seated on the pivot pin, pressure plate diaphragm issue, etc.

Unfortunately, I also vote for opening it back up, but, you can try to bleed the slave cylinder to see if there is some air that is maybe causing you to roll forward without disengaging fully.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Okay, yeah I'm thinking about having a look in my footwell just to see if the master shows any leaks, and should probably take a look at the slave as well before I bring it anywhere
Old Sun, Sep-16-2018, 08:27:43 PM   #8
BTB

In the garage:

United States

Well I visually checked the master and slave cylinders for leaks, seem to be all good. Because of the way the clutch is acting-- there's still a tiny bit of clutch travel near the clutch stop where the clutch doesn't engage, and then an obvious point where the clutch starts to grab (ie how it always has been)-- I don't think the issue is a hydraulic/bleeding issue. Seems like something isn't quite right inside
Old Wed, Sep-19-2018, 02:48:55 PM   #9
TheM

In the garage:

United States

Mine has been acting weird intermittantly too. Mine engages just off the floor normally, but when it's heat soaked it feels like yours where is doesn't quite disengage enough to make it easy to get into gear. After driving for a while it gets a bit better. I flushed and bled the system with a pressure bleeder twice in the last year which didn't really help. Not sure where to go from here. Looks like I'll have my mechanic open it up...