BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Oct-27-2015, 12:57:09 AM   #1
Bimmer Freak

In the garage:

United States

Default e46 m3 tune question (Evolve)

Hi,

Got a question for all you tuner ///M heads ;P.

I went to a track day at le Circuit Mont Tremblant up north here in Quebec about 2 months ago, and unfortunately blew my engine 9 minutes into my first run!

I purchased a new engine with 68k kms, and had it swapped in my m. I had an Evolve tune in which I purchased about a month before the track day. My question is:

Would it be best to have Evolve re-tune everything based on my new engine in the car (ecu is the same)? Or is it ok to just keep the same tune since the ecu has not changed?

The reason for asking this is I am wondering if it is the engine that adapts to the ecu, or the ecu that adapts to the engine. If the engine adapts to the ecu then I am thinking re-tuning it would do nothing and have no advantage, however if the ecu adapts to the engine I am thinking that maybe I should have it re-tuned. Might be a noob question, just want to make sure I am going to have the full potential of the tune, and keeping everything as safe as possible.

For the time being I put the original file back in the car until I make my choice.

Thanks in advance for your help guys!
Jump to top Bimmer Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Oct-27-2015, 01:16:04 AM   #2
dkl

United States

Default Re: e46 m3 tune question (Evolve)

You had a tune and it blew up your engine and now you still want to use that same tune on your new engine???
Old Tue, Oct-27-2015, 01:21:12 AM   #3
Bimmer Freak

In the garage:

United States

lol. Evolve is pretty reputable for tuning the m's. The problem with the engine blowing was due to too much pressure, then my valve cover gasket blowing, then all the oil spilling out, then boom when there was no more oil left.

I was told that the tune was not the problem.

Last edited by Bimmer Freak; Tue, Oct-27-2015 at 01:27:46 AM.
Old Tue, Oct-27-2015, 03:57:21 AM   #4
Bimmer Freak

In the garage:

United States

Anyone? Want some opinions!

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
Old Tue, Oct-27-2015, 04:28:26 AM   #5
Dain06

In the garage:

United States

Yikes
2006 AW M3 Vert - ** Mods - TTFS custom N/A tune, CSL SMGII Flash, H&R Springs, Koni Adjustable Shocks & Struts, BMW 3.91 R&P gear set, ECS Rear adjustable control arms, Turner front & rear sways, Rouge Engineering street pulley kit, Orion V2 Angel eyes, AKG Poly FCABs, RTABs, Diff and sub frame bushings, Agency Power headers, Catted CPI section 1, Supersprint Non-res section 2, Eisemann Sport Section 3.

1995 E36 M3 Coupe ** Mods - Race exhaust (Straight Pipe) UUC Muffler, 21.5 lb S52 pink injectors, Chipped ECU, 3.5" Intake, Machined head / top end, Fog Light Deletes, Depo headlights, Sparco front strut bar, Extended Wheel Studs, DSII BMW 17x8.5 square setup, Ground Control Street Track coilover setup
Adjustable camber plates
Koni Yellow Struts - Fully adjustable
[/FONT]
Jump to top Dain06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Oct-27-2015, 05:29:41 AM   #6
Headlock

Australia

well all things being equal, you've swapped one S54 for another. The ancillaries are the same right (airbox, exhaust, etc). Unless it had been built or modified internally it should be ok. My understanding is the evolve tune is a 'canned' tune, so it shouldn't matter too much. If they had it on a dyno and tuned everything specifically for your car - then you probably should get it assessed.
Jump to top Headlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Oct-27-2015, 07:29:21 AM   #7
iride113

United States

Evolve has shown me some serious gains in their tunes. Nothing bad to say about them at all. Three months later they still are sending me files for free to play around with my car.

Jump to top iride113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Oct-27-2015, 12:28:59 PM   #8
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

If you didn't have any changes to the tune, for your specific car/engine, shouldn't be any reason it isn't still fine.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Oct-27-2015, 01:37:19 PM   #9
Bimmer Freak

In the garage:

United States

Nothing has changed besides the new engine. All mods and other components are the same. There was no dyno, just emailed them the file and they tuned it.

I dealt with Mateen at Evolve and he was very helpful. He offered to redo the tune. Also, I bought the tune from someone and they aloud the transfer since the other guy went FI and bought another tune.

I had it tuned for 94, but am gonna go to 91, I heard our cars dont respond too well to 94. And here in Quebec only Petro Canada sell 94 and I heard there is a lot of ethanol or something that is not too good.

Is it safe to increase the rpm by 200? Or am I safer to leave it as is? Thx!

Old Tue, Oct-27-2015, 01:41:54 PM   #10
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Freak View Post
Nothing has changed besides the new engine. All mods and other components are the same. There was no dyno, just emailed them the file and they tuned it.

I dealt with Mateen at Evolve and he was very helpful. He offered to redo the tune. Also, I bought the tune from someone and they aloud the transfer since the other guy went FI and bought another tune.

I had it tuned for 94, but am gonna go to 91, I heard our cars dont respond too well to 94. And here in Quebec only Petro Canada sell 94 and I heard there is a lot of ethanol or something that is not too good.

Is it safe to increase the rpm by 200? Or am I safer to leave it as is? Thx!

How exactly did they tune it for 94 without dyno runs or logs? Sounds.. amiss
Jump to top Drewster is offline   Reply With Quote