BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > M3 Track: Racing and DE
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

M3 Track: Racing and DE Best mod for speed is learning to get the most out of what you currently have. Tracks and DE's is the place to start!

Old Tue, Jan-09-2018, 03:28:14 PM   #11
klodkrawler05

United States

Default Re: Preferred 200 UTQG tire, and size...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate047 View Post
Not good feedback on the RE-71R huh...
The RE-71R is the tire of choice if you are chasing every tenth of a second, they're designed to come up to temp quick and provide maximum grip for the best lap time. Outside of that, they are not a good choice for general HPDE sessions and the like. When the clock is of less concern there's no point to chose a tire you have to care for like the RE-71R when something like the NT01 will handle all the abuse you can throw at it and come back for more.

I run the RE-71 on my car for time attack but far prefer the Maxxis VR-1 or Hankook RS4 for just turning laps, they're more consistent and last far more laps per dollar.

Regarding size, go with whichever is cheapest, for street tires your wheel width will pretty much dictate the size of the contact patch anyways so no point spending more money for bigger rubber that you aren't utilizing. We've done back to back testing of the same exact tire on 9.5-10-11" wide wheels and went faster every time the wheels got wider.

you can see here what happens to the same size tire when the wheels are wider (not my photo, this one was sourced from the internet):
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Jan-09-2018, 07:47:51 PM   #12
Nate047

In the garage:

United States

Right on guys, lots of helpful info in here. For the record, I have ran the NT01 on my last TA car (FF Honda) and I always liked those tires. I went through a number of different tires on that car, but admittedly that was a few years. Cool to know that the NT01 is still holding it's ground years later. I will go that route if I decide an R Compound is the right choice. I might try a street tire first though still. I don't imagine I will likely ever find myself considering true slicks for this car, but I appreciate the input nonetheless.

I have looked at the Federal 595-RS RR as well. Anyone have input on those? Bang for buck?? Anyone have additional comments about the Hankook RS-4? I have never driven on those.

Got some thinking to do still. I haven't ordered the wheels yet so maybe I will go with the 17x9 ET42 option. I have other wheels for road use so I guess there's no downside to going nuts with the track setup.
Old Tue, Jan-09-2018, 08:15:23 PM   #13
Move_Over

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate047 View Post
Right on guys, lots of helpful info in here. For the record, I have ran the NT01 on my last TA car (FF Honda) and I always liked those tires. I went through a number of different tires on that car, but admittedly that was a few years. Cool to know that the NT01 is still holding it's ground years later. I will go that route if I decide an R Compound is the right choice. I might try a street tire first though still. I don't imagine I will likely ever find myself considering true slicks for this car, but I appreciate the input nonetheless.

I have looked at the Federal 595-RS RR as well. Anyone have input on those? Bang for buck?? Anyone have additional comments about the Hankook RS-4? I have never driven on those.

Got some thinking to do still. I haven't ordered the wheels yet so maybe I will go with the 17x9 ET42 option. I have other wheels for road use so I guess there's no downside to going nuts with the track setup.
Other than them being loud i think they are pretty good tires for th use you are going for. They make a 140tw tire so maybe that’s a good in between for you
Jump to top Move_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jan-09-2018, 08:16:12 PM   #14
Move_Over

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by klodkrawler05 View Post
The RE-71R is the tire of choice if you are chasing every tenth of a second, they're designed to come up to temp quick and provide maximum grip for the best lap time. Outside of that, they are not a good choice for general HPDE sessions and the like. When the clock is of less concern there's no point to chose a tire you have to care for like the RE-71R when something like the NT01 will handle all the abuse you can throw at it and come back for more.

I run the RE-71 on my car for time attack but far prefer the Maxxis VR-1 or Hankook RS4 for just turning laps, they're more consistent and last far more laps per dollar.

Regarding size, go with whichever is cheapest, for street tires your wheel width will pretty much dictate the size of the contact patch anyways so no point spending more money for bigger rubber that you aren't utilizing. We've done back to back testing of the same exact tire on 9.5-10-11" wide wheels and went faster every time the wheels got wider.

you can see here what happens to the same size tire when the wheels are wider (not my photo, this one was sourced from the internet):
What are the wheel sizes in the pic?
Jump to top Move_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-10-2018, 04:46:09 AM   #15
usedunderwear

United States

Nate - good article here written by pro racer Billy Johnson.

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...RFORMANCE.aspx

I like the statement on top of page 3:

"For ideal handling: when sizing a tire for a given wheel, I usually target a tire’s TREAD width to be as wide as the WHEEL width, or 0.5” narrower than the wheel width."

You got incoming PM also
Jump to top usedunderwear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-10-2018, 02:12:43 PM   #16
klodkrawler05

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Move_Over View Post
What are the wheel sizes in the pic?
9.5" vs 10"
Old Wed, Jan-10-2018, 03:00:48 PM   #17
mindspin311

United States

Why has no one mentioned the RS4 yet? That's what I would be buying if you dont want to go full r-comp/NT01.
Jump to top mindspin311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-10-2018, 03:08:22 PM   #18
klodkrawler05

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by klodkrawler05 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindspin311 View Post
Why has no one mentioned the RS4 yet? That's what I would be buying if you dont want to go full r-comp/NT01.
they're a good choice.
Old Thu, Jan-11-2018, 03:09:26 AM   #19
M3 Racing 04

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Im on 265-18 square setup and really like the RS4, they are very consistent from start to finish. Managed to get 35+ heat cycles out of a set.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Mystic Blue 04 M3 SMG: MCS 2 way; Hypercoil 600f/700r lbs, GC camber plates, Rogue FCAB, Turner Subframe kit & swaybars, Stoptech Trophy Sport 355x4, Pagid RS29, Apex Arc 7 ET35 265, Fluidyne rad/oil cooler, BM oil diverter valve, Racetech RT4009whr & RT1000 seats, Racetech steering wheel, Schroth Profi II 6 point harness & side nets, Seibon CF vented hood, Lang Racing cage & CF roof, BW race exhaust, AFE intake, Works Bell paddle system, Kontec quick release hub.
Jump to top M3 Racing 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-11-2018, 04:25:25 AM   #20
Tinnit

United States

Quote:
Post #9? Did I get too wordy?
Jump to top Tinnit is offline   Reply With Quote