BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Wed, May-03-2017, 04:30:50 PM   #51
W///

In the garage:

Thailand

Default Re: The Byzanz Sedan That Needs Some Love

I really like it. First time I saw Byzanz was actually on a F10 5 series in Munich as an Individual color.

There can't be too many people with 3 E36 M3's at the same time, I love it

Jump to top W/// is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, May-04-2017, 04:15:33 AM   #52
usedunderwear

United States

Great work thus far!!

The change dealio was money
Jump to top usedunderwear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, May-04-2017, 04:22:18 AM   #53
egebhardt

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedunderwear View Post
Great work thus far!!
The change dealio was money
Thx! You know it, bra. It's G-money. Money for Gas.
You've got a great 'handle' name. There's nothing less valuable than used underwear, unless you have a used Byzanz Auto w/Lux.
Jump to top egebhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, May-04-2017, 04:30:43 PM   #54
egebhardt

United States

Update:
I removed the C-pillars and rear deck early this morning to celebrate 1 week of ownership. I'm using epoxy to reconnect several of the tabs that cracked or broke off. This car saw a lot of sun so I knew several tabs would break off. Then I finally used that can of black Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric paint I've had for years. I've never had the balls to try it on a rear deck but it turned out really nice but you can see my spray patter to a degree. I would do that again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cpillar.JPG (204.1 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg rear deck.JPG (265.6 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by egebhardt; Fri, May-05-2017 at 04:45:38 PM.
Old Thu, May-04-2017, 08:07:51 PM   #55
killa_e46

United States

This is coming out fantastic! Love the progress
Jump to top killa_e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, May-05-2017, 03:37:49 AM   #56
usedunderwear

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by egebhardt View Post
Thx! You know it, bra. It's G-money. Money for Gas.
You've got a great 'handle' name. There's nothing less valuable than used underwear, unless you have a used Byzanz Auto w/Lux.
Thx you sir

I'm sure you put that money towards gas already
Jump to top usedunderwear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, May-05-2017, 04:58:09 PM   #57
egebhardt

United States

It took another hour but I managed to get the headliner out last night. The B and A pillars also yielded some broken tabs just like the C pillars, so I kept the epoxy flowing. Then I went to JoAnn Fabrics for some black headliner. It looks like a good color match to the rear deck.

You can see where Russ tried to reach in with some glue for a temporary fix but I managed to get most of it off. Gooey mess.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg headliner2.JPG (378.9 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg headliner3.JPG (249.1 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by egebhardt; Fri, May-05-2017 at 09:45:05 PM.
Old Fri, May-05-2017, 09:57:48 PM   #58
spaghettiM3

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by egebhardt View Post
It took another hour but I managed to get the headliner out last night. The B and A pillars also yielded some broken tabs just like the C pillars, so I kept the epoxy flowing. Then I went to JoAnn Fabrics for some black headliner. It looks like a good color match to the rear deck.

You can see where Russ tried to reach in with some glue for a temporary fix but I managed to get most of it off. Gooey mess.
I just went through this process as well. Definitely worth the hassle once it's back in the car!
Jump to top spaghettiM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, May-08-2017, 05:25:35 PM   #59
egebhardt

United States

Weekend Update: (this might be a bit long)
Saturday was preparation for Sunday and selling of the 46M seats I had. I sold them to Andre of (Manager of Edge Motorworks in Mtn View, CA). Nice guy with lot of E36/E46/E90 experience. He gave me a tip about OEM rubber RTAB alignment. He said to leave the lateral pivoting bolt slightly loose before bolting the console (RTAB carrier) into the body. Go drive 2 miles or so. With the car still on the ground, reach in there with 2 end-wrenches and tighten the bolt/nut down. That puts the RTAB locked onto the 'home' position. Logistically, I think it might be hard to get it tight but he said they use long end wrenches.

I also took the rear wheels down to Firestone to price some 'Indy 500' tires. $280 for both mounted and balanced. I passed for now. It's not a priority yet.

On Sunday, MMMGP (muscles) came over and helped me finish my headliner project, glove-box snug-up, shift knob removal, steering wheel swap, C33 dim fix, shifter console install. It was a busy 4 hours.

First, I was up at 4am re-soldering the '180' resistors on the stereo. On the Alpine C33 stereo, the display often goes dim. You can see it, but it's very dim. The trick is to take out the stereo, take off the cover, take out the tape-deck, locate the 2 180 resistors and re-solder the connections. See first picture.

Then MMMGP arrived and we sprayed and stuck the new headliner on the old panel, of course. That turned out great. I accidentally got a little bid of the 3M adhesive jiz on the headliner. Once the headliner was installed, I later used some Goo Gone to remove it by tapping lightly. Having the headliner installed made removing the adhesive easier because it didn't want to fall into the headliner fabric.

Then we took apart a lot of the interior. Marty wanted to snug-up the glove box with his zip-tie method. That worked great. Then I wanted to put a newer black shifter console and to clean a lot of the interior bits. The wood trim part looked like heck with all the missing pieces and cracks so a 'sport' version needed to go in. Removing the shifter knob was a different story.

DAAAAAMM!! That shifter knob was really on there tight. Even Marty couldn't pull it off. There is no screw or threads or fastener that holds it on. Just pop it off, they say! I had to pry using a large crow bar from the bottom of the shifter handle (at the wood). It splintered in Marty's face as it finally popped off. No way could you just pull it off. Now I'm on the hunt for a black leather version.

Once the glue setup better on the headliner, we installed it and B pillars and glove box. Then Marty insisted we take his 335is for a spin. Wow.. Smooth power through a nice DCT. Modern cars are definitely better but the weight and cost keep me away.

After Marty left, I removed the old steering wheel (torn and caked in hand lotion) and swapped the slip-ring. The slip-ring is attached with 3 teeny 5mm nuts that are barely hand-tight. Feed the wires out and back into the new wheel and it's done. Marty gave me a nice newer looking airbag too. He basically spoiled me.

I put in another RMeuropean order at 5am this morning for some parts to replace the oil pan gasket. There are 2 drips coming from the pan that need to be fixed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c33 radio 180 resistors.JPG (614.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg headliner ready.JPG (410.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg interior torn apart.JPG (381.8 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg steering wheels.JPG (352.2 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by egebhardt; Mon, May-08-2017 at 11:56:23 PM.
Old Mon, May-08-2017, 05:51:50 PM   #60
MMMGP
retired

In the garage:

Poland

Now that's a proper weekend update!

That knob...pfftt. Sunday morning highlight!

Always a pleasure Eric, thanks for having me over. Looking forward to the next update or some more time wrenching on the Byzanz. Haus missed out.