BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Mon, Oct-01-2018, 10:58:36 PM   #1
Napalm

United States

Default KW V2 install, Adjustments, Experience and Tips

Hello everyone

I finished my KW V2 installation this weekend and wanted to pass on what I learned so that it may help someone in the future. This isn't intended to be a comprehensive HOW-TO. I intend to share only things that I couldn't readily find a ton of information on or that I found to be particularly difficult. I'm also not writing this for the beginner or novice. So It's not at all a step by step guide. For anyone that has the KWs or similar, feel free to add anything from your experiences as well.

Starting out, my car had White Line FCABs, SDW RTABs, and Turner anti-sway bars.
All else in the suspension was stock, including original (175K mile shocks/struts). Which was why I decided to do this upgrade.

First thing I learned, is that this car has a very annoying suspension setup to work on. Unlike every other car i've worked on, almost none of the major suspension components on this car simply unbolt and come out. They all require quite a bit of brute force persuasion.

FRONT:

Lets start with the front strut, which is trapped between the knuckle/hub and the chassis, even with the FCA/knuckle/hub lowered as far as it will go (at least this was the case on my car). The only possible way mine would come out, is if I removed the knuckle/hub from the FCA completely, or if I used a spring compressor. I opted for the spring compressor because once the knuckle and brake assembly are removed it gets very cumbersome to work with.

-Spray WD-40 into the knuckle clamp area located at the bottom of the strut as soon as you get the wheel off. If you live in an area prone to rusting, you might want to let it sit over night.
Use a pry bar to open the clamp enough to start working the strut out.

-Make sure you have spring compressors handy. Compress the spring enough so you can get the strut out. You will still need to use moderate force to compress the shock. I've read of some people using a bottle jack from the bottom to compress everything enough to clear the knuckle/hub, but I didn't have one. So brute force was necessary.
I bought these and they worked great;

-Unbolt the three bolts from the top of the strut tower and lower the hub assembly down until the three bolts clear the strut tower holes. This will give you room to wiggle the strut and compressor around and get a good grip on the spring. Grab a hold of three coils on each side with the compressor jaws.

-The KWs lower the car a lot. Setting your KW V2s to about 222mm measured from the spring seating surface on the purple adjustment collar to the knuckle bolt center, should get you a nice ~13.5" ride height (wheel center to fender).

-Push your camber plates all the way out. This should make the car safe to drive to the alignment shop. I used Turner camber plates. I'm not 100% sure if it's a requirement, but I suspect it is.
REAR:

The rear is probably more annoying than the front, especially for making adjustments to ride height.
The spring requires quite a bit of prying, rotating and pulling to coerce it out. I couldn't find a better way of doing this.
-Make sure you have a few big pry bars handy. I had three, 12, 17 and 25". I used all of them.

-If you have the turner anti-sway bars installed, you'll probably have a hell of a time getting the stock spring out. This is because the turner bars curve under the drive axles, limiting the distance the trailing arm can drop down toward the ground. I disconnected my sway bars to make it easier to get the stock spring out.

-The stock top spring pad, gets moved to the bottom of the KW springs.
This is in the instructions, but seemed a little vague.

-The rear KWs lower the car quite a bit, even with it set to the maximum ride height.. I ended up setting my ride height to 34mm, measured from the spring seating surface on the purple collar, to the rubber surface that seats against the chassis. This puts the rear ride height at about 13".

-The adjustment is not 1:1. I did some searching on this, and found conflicting opinions. From experience, and now from looking at it and working on it, I can see it's definitely not 1:1. Think of the trailing arm, spring perch/chassis and wheel hub as a scalene triangle. I wish I would have documented this more definitively, but from what I remember;
10mm change in spring adjustment roughly gets you 25mm change in ride height.

-The KW spring adjustment has some German voodoo self-locking thread on it. It will NOT let you adjust it if there is ANY amount of force on the adjuster (from the sides, top or bottom). You can't reach the damn thing while it's on the car anyway, Thus, the spring and adjuster has to come completely out of the car to make any adjustments - this is EXTREMELY annoying. Hopefully it doesn't take you 3-4 attempts to get it right, like it did for me.

-Stock rear camber adjuster seems to be sufficient for street and probably track duty as well. Although, I think camber arms like the ones ECS designed would make it quite a bit easier.
Adjust your camber all the way IN (opposite from the front, since the adjustment is on the bottom). This will make the car safe enough to drive (temporarily) to get an alignment.

Last edited by Napalm; Mon, Oct-01-2018 at 11:07:00 PM.
Jump to top Napalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Oct-01-2018, 10:59:14 PM   #2
Napalm

United States

Default Re: KW V2 install, Adjustments, Experience and Tips

Reserved for pics and more alignment info that will follow
Old Tue, Mar-26-2019, 12:45:48 AM   #3
R60BBA

In the garage:

United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napalm View Post
Reserved for pics and more alignment info that will follow
You got any pics of your car on the V2s OP?
IG: bavarianjunkie
https://youtu.be/y0ymv8jOC0Y

Jump to top R60BBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-26-2019, 03:45:14 PM   #4
Mr.wReckless

Norway

Thanks for the writeup, some useful tips there!

Regards
Jump to top Mr.wReckless is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-26-2019, 08:40:36 PM   #5
Finkle

In the garage:

United States

Great write up. Been running the KW V2 for 3 years now on my daily and love it.
Jump to top Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-26-2019, 08:50:49 PM   #6
R60BBA

In the garage:

United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finkle View Post
Great write up. Been running the KW V2 for 3 years now on my daily and love it.
IG: bavarianjunkie
https://youtu.be/y0ymv8jOC0Y

Jump to top R60BBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Mar-27-2019, 04:42:31 PM   #7
foolio
40oz. to Freedom

In the garage:

United States

10 points for using “scalene triangle” outside of a geometry class.

2003 BMW M3 - SMG - Laguna Seca Blue - Track car, track stuff
Old Mon, Apr-29-2019, 10:34:02 AM   #8
sixthspeed

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napalm View Post
-Push your camber plates all the way out. This should make the car safe to drive to the alignment shop. I used Turner camber plates. I'm not 100% sure if it's a requirement, but I suspect it is.
All the way out as in max negative camber? Does this make it easier for the alignment shop to achieve proper alignment without them needing to adjust the camber plates?

Last edited by sixthspeed; Mon, Apr-29-2019 at 10:42:36 AM.
Jump to top sixthspeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-29-2019, 11:03:11 AM   #9
HassanEido

In the garage:

Lebanon

just went thru the same thing hahaha, can confirm the adjuster in the rear is a nightmare By some miracle I got it identical the first try I tried to make it higher and decided against it since it would mean removing the spring again.
A tip to get out the rear springs though, unbolt the shock from the bottom (obviously), and after having loosened the the wheel nuts, get a small jack and set it between the tire and the wheel well, use a small block of wood between the wheel well and jack to spread the load, slowly jack up, the bottom of the jack will push against the tire and lower the assembly down, once its fully extended, remove the jack and the wheel and pop off the spring. Be careful not to punch a hole thru ur wheel well etc.
Alternative,once u have the car securely on stands gently apply pressure from the top of the tire, adding ur own weight and it will go down (Be safe doing this, use common sense etc) and pop off the tireand spring. No pry bars needed.

Mods:
-Custom CF airbox
-SSV2 catless headers(with a modified collector extention), Custom 2.5" dual sec1, Custom sec2 2.5" dual with e9xM X pipe, SuperSprint Race inspired custom section 3..
-Cat Cams 280 272.
-Custom dyno tune
-Tms pulleys and electric fan conversion
385.7 whp 288 wtq

Custom exhaust thread and dyno http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=569086
Cams thread and dyno http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=554439
Custom cf airbox thread http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=595180
Why not to use after market bearings with surfacetreatments and /or increased clearance
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showp...4&postcount=10
Jump to top HassanEido is online now   Reply With Quote