BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > Faults, Fixes and DIY
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Faults, Fixes and DIY Please share your experience and knowledge with other members by contributing your own DIY, or by helping another member find the elusive fix!

Old Sun, Dec-26-2010, 04:32:00 PM   #21
DuncanS

United Kingdom

Default Re: DIY Guide: E46 M3 SMG Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyyPab View Post
For me it was.. The trans was having trouble shifting in some gears but not all. The Dealership quoted $12000 which I bargained down to $8000 and any shop was going to run at least $6000... I said ahh hell ive done a clutch before here we go!!
:bugeye" $12,000 for a clutch job! Were you getting extra work done?
Jump to top DuncanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Dec-26-2010, 05:50:27 PM   #22
PeteyyPab
So long M3, its been a trip!

Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanS View Post
:bugeye" $12,000 for a clutch job! Were you getting extra work done?
That 12K was for a new Trans and new Clutch... thats it!
The SA called me on the phone and my response was i will be by later today with a tow truck.

VERT Subframe mount failure confirmed 5/4/2010

Current Fleet:02 M5 Carbon Black - 11 335d M-Sport Alpine White - 89 750iL Salmon Silver - 69 F-100 Ranger Peacock Blue
The ones that got away:02 M3 Vert Jet Black - 04 A4 3.0 Quattro Brilliant Black - 77 Mercedes-Benz 300D Milan Brown Metallic - 02 Range Rover Java Black - 84 Mazda 626 Diesel
Jump to top PeteyyPab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-31-2010, 12:14:14 AM   #23
morrison_va

In the garage:

United States

I'm really starting to hate this car. Just got it back out of the shop after having the throw out bearing replaced again (which was in bits, 9k miles on the new clutch kit) and this time with 6 miles on it the new bearing its making the grinding noise again (loud enough to hear at about 40' away). Anyone have any ideas what would case this?

First bearing was replaced due to being a faulty part purchased from bavarian.

First time round a complete clutch kit was put in.
Jump to top morrison_va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-31-2010, 05:00:28 AM   #24
Tonester
Banned

Viet Nam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff M3 View Post
it took my stealer 3 weeks to install my clutch lol
I've done it in 1 day.. start to finish, day 2 was bleeding/initializing/teaching-in.
Jump to top Tonester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-31-2010, 06:26:50 PM   #25
morrison_va

In the garage:

United States

I swear that damn car. 30 miles later the noise is gone and its changing gears like it should.
Jump to top morrison_va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jan-23-2011, 03:03:16 PM   #26
intelone

Cambodia

Just finished replacing my clutch. It was my throwout bearing that went bad. I want to thank sddynamix for his DIY. I pmed him once, and gave me good advice. There's not a lot of consolidated info on a single thread, so these links might be helpful. Never knew there was a tis online.

TIS Clutch
TIS Transmission
TIS Driveshaft

I went with an oem Sasch clutch kit, so a clutch alignment tool was needed. Pelican claims its part is only for the M5, but cross reading a few posts confirms that it works for the M3; and it surely did work for me.

Alignment tool ct-1012

Visit this thread to pick up the pdf below from '06. Thanks to Fly'n DuthhMan, don't see him around much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly'n DuthhMan View Post
Guys-
Here is a link to PDF of the UUC clutch install article a couple of you had been asking about. (It'll take a moment to down load even with high speed)

http://www.brouwersusa.com/Roundel C...l Feb 2006.pdf

Car: 2002 M3 6sp 70K miles at install.
Tech: Peter Van Wingerden(Former with Santa Barbara Auto Group, now in his own shop HP Autowerk.)
Photographer: Eric Eikenberry
Special thanks to: Peter, Eric, Sean from Discovery Automotive and Rob at UUC
This post from e46f.net was helpful because of the picture it provides, so I don't second guess which bolt went where on the tranny to engine. Because you don't want this to happen, do you?

I lifted this from castaway on e46f from the aforementioned link. Helps alot.

I think I credited everyone that I stolen info from all over the internet. If not I thank you mentally.

Two days of work. One to remove, and the other to install. My worst moment was when I snapped a transmission mount bolt that went to the chassis. This bolt here. I read the torque value wrong and over torqued it. All my fault. Had to run to my local bmw and pick up one.

Also did a bmw ssk which complements my zhp shift knob and removed the cdv without pinching the line. Just have to work fast so very little fluid was loss. Didn't replace the flywheel, since I'm a poor college student. No power tool, and all on jack stands with assistance from my dad when i finally dropped the tranny. And once again when it had to go back up.

Didn't remove anything from the front. No intake manifold or fan clutch. Just wedge a block of wood between engine and sway bar. Used a jack to jack up the engine up front to get to the bolts up top.

Some not so fun pic of the R&R.

Look at my throwout bearing. Its falling apart, you can even see the ball bearings if you look closely.

Afterward it was beer time.

Proud to be on the list of those who diy a clutch. Saved lots of money, oh wait tuition is due.

Last edited by intelone; Sun, Jan-23-2011 at 03:06:30 PM.
Jump to top intelone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, May-22-2011, 09:46:40 AM   #27
chalaka

In the garage:

Taiwan

Quote:
Originally Posted by intelone View Post
Just finished replacing my clutch. It was my throwout bearing that went bad. I want to thank sddynamix for his DIY. I pmed him once, and gave me good advice. There's not a lot of consolidated info on a single thread, so these links might be helpful. Never knew there was a tis online.

TIS Clutch
TIS Transmission
TIS Driveshaft

I went with an oem Sasch clutch kit, so a clutch alignment tool was needed. Pelican claims its part is only for the M5, but cross reading a few posts confirms that it works for the M3; and it surely did work for me.

Alignment tool ct-1012

Visit this thread to pick up the pdf below from '06. Thanks to Fly'n DuthhMan, don't see him around much.

This post from e46f.net was helpful because of the picture it provides, so I don't second guess which bolt went where on the tranny to engine. Because you don't want this to happen, do you?

I lifted this from castaway on e46f from the aforementioned link. Helps alot.

I think I credited everyone that I stolen info from all over the internet. If not I thank you mentally.

Two days of work. One to remove, and the other to install. My worst moment was when I snapped a transmission mount bolt that went to the chassis. This bolt here. I read the torque value wrong and over torqued it. All my fault. Had to run to my local bmw and pick up one.

Also did a bmw ssk which complements my zhp shift knob and removed the cdv without pinching the line. Just have to work fast so very little fluid was loss. Didn't replace the flywheel, since I'm a poor college student. No power tool, and all on jack stands with assistance from my dad when i finally dropped the tranny. And once again when it had to go back up.

Didn't remove anything from the front. No intake manifold or fan clutch. Just wedge a block of wood between engine and sway bar. Used a jack to jack up the engine up front to get to the bolts up top.

Some not so fun pic of the R&R.

Look at my throwout bearing. Its falling apart, you can even see the ball bearings if you look closely.

Afterward it was beer time.

Proud to be on the list of those who diy a clutch. Saved lots of money, oh wait tuition is due.
can you share more pictures?
did you use any special tools to do the installation? like what the TIS mentioned .. it used like at least 3 special tools for alignment ??
Jump to top chalaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, May-22-2011, 12:52:25 PM   #28
intelone

Cambodia

The luk clutch alightment tool is all you need if you bought a new self adjusting clutch that has a circular lock on the pressure plate already. A used clutch is a different story, and would require special tools to reset the pressure plate. The alightment tool for self adjusting clutches beaks down into two pieces.

Jump to top intelone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, May-22-2011, 05:20:24 PM   #29
chalaka

In the garage:

Taiwan

Quote:
Originally Posted by intelone View Post
The luk clutch alightment tool is all you need if you bought a new self adjusting clutch that has a circular lock on the pressure plate already. A used clutch is a different story, and would require special tools to reset the pressure plate. The alightment tool for self adjusting clutches beaks down into two pieces.
hmm .. thanks for the quick response .. it is a bit difficult for me to understand already .. hehe .. i plan to purchase new clutch kit online .. guess this is not something i am capable to DIY now .. ^^
Jump to top chalaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Aug-08-2011, 11:18:13 PM   #30
stukreit

In the garage:

United States

I need a clue how to remove the top bolt of the actuator. 2nd time pulling the
transmission after clutch change, because smg training sequence uttered
errors about finding 5th gear, and it is jamming up between 0 and 1 and still
showing the orange gear dashboard icon. I'm thinking of at least
examining the detent and replacing the gear id sensor.

Anybody have reference to a competant transmission rebuilder in norcal?
I want to bring the 6mt unit over the counter and get its head examined.

stuart.kreitman@gmail.com
Jump to top stukreit is offline   Reply With Quote