BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > Forced Induction (F/I)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Forced Induction (F/I) Discuss the ever growing F/I options here!

Old Thu, Jun-17-2010, 11:43:22 PM   #11
Superman#1

United States

1. obviously, first question is which clutch and flywheel?
HPF and OEM fhlywheel

2. at how many miles (approximate) did you do the upgrade?
3. what is your mileage (approximate) currently?
4. if there is significant weight savings when compared to stock clutch and flywheel assembly, what is the amount?
Not Sure
5. does your car stutter or have a slight shudder during a slow start in 1st gear from a complete stop or with a slow rolling start in 2nd gear?
Yes shutter in 1st and slow rolling start in 2nd.

6. if you have chatter, can you do your best and quantify it? Feels like the clutch wants to engage but slipping then engages.
7. if your setup is not a direct swap for the stock clutch and flywheel assembly, what else was needed? Clutch, pressure plate, and new flywheel recomended,

8. if you are not happy with your setup, what do you wish you had gone with now that hindsight is 20/20? Very happy other than the chatter in 1st, and 2nd when rolling at low RPM's
9. (assuming you have had f/i for a reasonable period of time before upgrading) when on stock clutch, did you experience anything a little off when going WOT in s5 or s6 and upshifting? My OEM clutch was slipping just a little, at high RPM's
Jump to top Superman#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Jun-18-2010, 08:01:01 PM   #12
Patrón
HatersGonnaHate

In the garage:

United States

does anybody know the manuf. of the hpf kits?
Old Tue, Jun-22-2010, 08:48:14 AM   #13
0-60Motorsports
Established 1998....

In the garage:

Bahrain

I will not be changing my clutch cos i like the smoothness of the OEM SMG clutch and plus im only going to be going up to VT2-550 by ESS and nto any more.
EURO 04 M3 Mods: GC DA's / Eibach Sways / PF RTABs / RE RCAs / INTRAVEE II / ///MFEST Badges / M5 SMG Knob / VCSL: Bumper + Race Lip, CF Trunk, CF Diffusor / DIETZ TV in Motion / SuperSprint: Stepped Headers, Cat Deletes, Res X-pipe, Sport Muffler / Z8 Starter Button / Lamin-X / STM Paddles / OEM CSL: Steering, Interior, Intake, CF Roof / Terra MSS54HP CSL Clone + TTFS Tune / BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ / ST40's / DINAN RSB / RE Race Brace / BW Oil Cooler / 3.91 gears / Radium OCC
Jump to top 0-60Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jun-28-2010, 12:30:59 AM   #14
DreiKraft
von Bayern für Bayern

Germany

1. obviously, first question is which clutch and flywheel?

HPF STG2 Clutch

4. if there is significant weight savings when compared to stock clutch and flywheel assembly, what is the amount?

weight felt the same for both hpf and stock in hand, there ofcourse might be a sig. diff on a scale tho.

5. does your car stutter or have a slight shudder during a slow start in 1st gear from a complete stop or with a slow rolling start in 2nd gear?

yes, esp on a incline or turning & climbing from a stop. i've also experienced it while turning sharply on level surfaces (u-turns in narrow streets in 2nd,etc)

6. if you have chatter, can you do your best and quantify it?

there doesn't seem to be a casual start with the hpf clutch. its either thrust or no thrust (i.e. the amount of throttle you usually use for casual driving in a stock smg will cause chatter whereas a slightly less amount of throttle than normal or significantly more throttle will not incur chatter)
so what does avoiding chatter look like at a stop light?
it looks like you're either that guy who's in no hurry to get anywhere and unnecessarily slows down an entire lane on green for the first 30ft, or you look like some douchebag bolting off the line and then resuming speed limit.

7. if your setup is not a direct swap for the stock clutch and flywheel assembly, what else was needed?
parts-wise? nothing
IIRC just a smg recalib. from the stealer

8. if you are not happy with your setup, what do you wish you had gone with now that hindsight is 20/20?

i knew it wouldn't be as smooth as stock but it kinda comes with the territory, and i don't think i'd stray from hpf's tried and tested clutch regardless of how inconvenient it might be on crowded surface streets.

9. (assuming you have had f/i for a reasonable period of time before
upgrading) when on stock clutch, did you experience anything a little off when going WOT in s5 or s6 and upshifting?

i wanted to try the stock clutch for a day with the turbo installed just to feel the difference after the hpf clutch but never did.

as far as rpms hanging n such, i've experienced zero issues upshifting however downshifting is delayed somewhat and the rpms can hang (feels like clutch slip) but i've been told this is due to the AEM EMS not the HPF clutch..... hope that helps

HPF STG2/Never Dynoed
Old Mon, Jun-28-2010, 06:16:02 AM   #15
samer110

United Arab Emirates

Tried out 3 setups and quite frankly I would never go for any option other than OEM clutch and flywheel. Here's my review:

1. Which clutch and flywheel?
a- HPF and OEM fhlywheel (On my previous HPF Stage 2 car)
b- ClutchMasters LWF Aluminum and Stage 4 clutch (Current VF Stage 2 car)
c- OEM clutch and flywheel (Current VF Stage 2 car)

a- 50K
b- 63k
c- 78k
a- Sold at 75K, was slipping
b- 78k
c- 83k
a- No change
b- LWF made a big difference in the weight, car had amazing response when revved, torque to the ground was amazing due to less load on the crank
c- Back to OEM
a- Stutter at 1st gear and low rpms 2nd gear, not that bad but annoying cause you have to try and modulate the clutch which is not that easy nor difficult in the smg, but still annoying
b- NIGHTMARE, that stage 4 clutch was the biggest mistake ever, extremely bad shutter in 1st, 2nd low rpms and even reverse, DONT EVER THINK OF GETTING ANYTHING HIGHER THAN A STAGE 2 in clutchmasters
c- Love the smooth engagement especially after almost 2 years of torture from HPF and clutchmasters clutch

6. if you have chatter, can you do your best and quantify it?
a- Easy to modulate but that means you have to do it every time your taking off from 0, can be annoying because at times you just want to drive off normally but you can't so you have to always worry about it
b- Hated my life, people use to ride in my car and think there was issues with it, can be quite damaging for the gearbox as the chatter is so bad that you could hear all the drivetrain components making metal to metal noises. NO HIGHER THAN STAGE 2
c- Ah yes, so orgasmic once it was back to OEM, but lost quite some torque and response without the LWF
7. if your setup is not a direct swap for the stock clutch and flywheel assembly, what else was needed?
Required nothing, clutch setups were complete clutches...

I hope that was of help.

8. if you are not happy with your setup, what do you wish you had gone with now that hindsight is 20/20? Very happy other than the chatter in 1st, and 2nd when rolling at low RPM's
9. (assuming you have had f/i for a reasonable period of time before upgrading) when on stock clutch, did you experience anything a little off when going WOT in s5 or s6 and upshifting? My OEM clutch was slipping just a little, at high RPM's
Jump to top samer110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-27-2012, 08:36:58 AM   #16
what goes around comes around...pay it forward

United States

Default Re: smg f/i folks who have done clutch (and flywheel) upgrade, questions and impressi

edit: samer110 and others, never got around to thanking you for that in-depth reply. thanks so much!!!

holy dusty bump, y'all.

i would like to get more impressions from folks.

to make the bump worthwhile....

'06 M3 | '07 A3 2.0T S-Line | '17 GLC43 (hers)

Last edited by 24601; Tue, Mar-27-2012 at 09:26:00 AM.
Jump to top 24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-27-2012, 01:48:11 PM   #17
BevsM3

United States

Default Re: smg f/i folks who have done clutch (and flywheel) upgrade, questions and impressi

After doing some reading and phone calls (before this thread) I decided to go with the HPF stg2 clutch and OEM flywheel. It will be installed in a few weeks. I think what may be a factor in the amount of chatter being seen is wether or not the OEM flywheel was replaced with a new one. After speaking to HPF and my installer who has done quite a few of the HPF clutch installs it became apparent that not changing the flywheel with a new one may make a difference.
Now im sure the chatter will be there no matter what but I'll have a new OEM flywheel on hand just in case. If I definitely don't need it I will return it.
After all the posts from the members that actually are driving the cars on a daily basis I have to go with them and expect the chatter despite a new flywheel or not.

What do you guys think?

Why did everyone leave out question #10?

Last edited by BevsM3; Tue, Mar-27-2012 at 01:51:39 PM.
Jump to top BevsM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Mar-28-2012, 07:58:34 AM   #18
BMtroubleyou
EL-SATO

Puerto Rico

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowless View Post
hey, folks,

for those who have smg and f/i and did a clutch (and flywheel) upgrade, i have some questions:

1. obviously, first question is which clutch and flywheel? i realize that some upgraded clutch and got the oem flywheel. I did the UUC ALUMINUM FW with their Segm/KEV Clutch
2. at how many miles (approximate) did you do the upgrade? At about 40K
3. what is your mileage (approximate) currently? 60K with **** load of Hard runs!!
4. if there is significant weight savings when compared to stock clutch and flywheel assembly, what is the amount?I don't remember, I think it was a total of 11Lbs??
5. does your car stutter or have a slight shudder during a slow start in 1st gear from a complete stop or with a slow rolling start in 2nd gear? At first it did, then I reset with my Auto engenuity tool or my GT1, One of those, I assumed it was until the clutch properly adjusted and matched up well
6. if you have chatter, can you do your best and quantify it? from a 1-10 scale on a HOT day with a few runs like a 3. You hardly hear it because there was nothing going thru the cabin from the SMG Transmission, not lit the 6MT that has the shifter protruding. I used 1QT of Redline MTF and another Qt of Redline ATF as recommended from UUC and it worked perfect, I hardly ever hear it!!I did it all myself! I even tilted the Transmission clockwise to add a few more oz into the transmission, A little more would not hurt and it has been performing flawlessly!!!
7. if your setup is not a direct swap for the stock clutch and flywheel assembly, what else was needed? A few beers!
8. if you are not happy with your setup, what do you wish you had gone with now that hindsight is 20/20? Nothing, So far never had any issues, Had the same set up with my E36, and the LWF actually works great, you feel a slight difference once you drive. Have in mind with my S/C and U/D pulleys, meth NOS etc...
9. (assuming you have had f/i for a reasonable period of time before upgrading) when on stock clutch, did you experience anything a little off when going WOT in s5 or s6 and upshifting?
No, the issues it started giving me was the skipping of gears, then replaced the Gear selector module and worked perfect, I know my M very well as I do ALL my work and I am V ERY picky to the smallest squeek or RPM issue, ohh and also had RPM issues when VF had their GIAC tune for the Stage 2, now with their in house Mafless tune, NO issues. ANd I run my M hard, i need to try to break it so I can go deeper and rebuild and make it stronger!!

for example, when at WOT or even close in s5 or s6 and you shift up, the rpms will naturally drop during the shift. but does it seem once rpm's hit their lowest point that there is a momentary pause once upper gear is engaged and then the normal rpm rise with WOT is delayed?

or same scenario with WOT or close, s5 or s6 mode, you are shifting up and experience something like this (all this with constant throttle at or near WOT):

rpms fall, rpm is held for a split second, drops a little then quickly
rises up toward redline. so if point A is where you upshift and B is
where rpms fall,C is the lowest point of falling after "pausing" at B
and D is redline. the needle goes from A to B to C to D. where the
order in increasing rpms is C---B---------A-D.

if you did experience something strange when upshifting at WOT with stock clutch, do you continue to experience it with your new clutch and flywheel?

10. final question: what f/i setup do you have? for convenience, also add whp/wtq. Last Dyno was 500WHP on race gas, no Meth nor Spray, soon here I will Dyno wth all the goodies!

i know that is a lot. thanks in advance.

Quick tip, as the clutch started to wear I repeatedly once in a while when i was feeling a little shutter or something of that nature, I would have the SMG relearn the clutch all over with my tool, I assume since it is at its best spot, and after a good break in, it needed to learn the wear on the clutch and to readjust. it adjusted to a smooth take off and or hard when i wanted or needed it, I think it was "Scrappy"(I think that's his name) or Karl from AA that gave me this advice a few years ago, I can't remember.......I changed my pentosin SMG fluid as this also losses its viscosity. One last thing I have the ESS SMG "CSL" S/W, no issues!! None, Hope this helps Just helping you out...

Currently
04 ///M3 E46 previous was 633 RWHP on 98 mix gas & 50/50 W/M. Now turbo....
10 X5///M E70
07 E60 ///M5
RIP

80 VW Rabbit
85 Toyota Corolla 1.8
85 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE
87 Mazda TurboII RX-7
96 318Ti
97 BMW 328is E36 "fully modded" AA Supercharged
99 Jetta
02 Jetta
03 BMW 325 IS
03 VW GTI 20th Anniversary
04 Toyota 4 Runner SR-5
04 Audi Quattro 1.8 Turbo
04 AUDI S4 B6 Winter Vehicle DD
06 BMW 530i
01 BMW 330Ci
02 M3 E46 Vert
05 X5 E53 4.8is

2001 R1
2004 CBR 1000RR
2004 GSX-R 1000

Last edited by BMtroubleyou; Wed, Mar-28-2012 at 08:22:38 AM.
Jump to top BMtroubleyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Mar-29-2012, 05:18:08 AM   #19
VERTigo

United States

I also have the UUC Stage II on my SMG. I love it - no issues thus far.
Jump to top VERTigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Apr-15-2012, 01:06:50 AM   #20
FASTREX28

In the garage:

United States

I have just bought an UUC flywheel clutch set-up. and was curious to ask for the people that do Have UUC setup. Did you uses the transmission formula thay have suggested on their website?
Jump to top FASTREX28 is offline   Reply With Quote