BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > Member Journals
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Member Journals Do you have a long term project you would like to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old Sun, Aug-12-2012, 01:29:07 AM   #1
MyGuitar

Croatia

Default 2006 ir zcp m3

I thought I'd start a journal to have one place to post pictures of my car and some updates. I don't anticipate doing way too much work on my M3 but there are definitely a few things I liked out there that I wanted to put on it.

Here is the car when I got it back in December, this pic is from the dealer.

Here is a picture from earlier today, notice the car has been completely stock this whole time:

Here is a picture from a couple of hours ago:

Quick note on the products you see in the picture above. I got the black grille, side gills, CF lip, smoked corners, clear bulbs and a black M3 badge (rear) from Khoalty.
The side gills, the badge and the lip look and fit great.
The front grille was a bit of a pain in the rear to install and moved around a bit after a short drive to the hardware store less than a mile away. I took it off and re-installed it so it's fine now but I will keep checking it for movement. The plastic clips on the pieceare cheap so don't expect to be able to remove this part more than a couple of times before the clips split.
The driver's side corner light fit perfectly but the pass. side one doesn't look as flush, nor does it feel as nice and tight as the driver's.
Finally, the clear lamps are good but one arrived broken so I will take that up with Khoalty.
Overall, their products are good and pretty fairly priced compared to some other places.

I plan to add a CF rear diffuser, intake, exhaust and eventually a nice suspension, but first and foremost I am getting tint and a winter wheel/tire setup, and maybe even a ski rack. Somewhere down the road, I plan on adding some protection like radar detectors and jammers.

Last edited by MyGuitar; Sun, Aug-12-2012 at 01:31:09 AM. Reason: pics... broken.... fixed
Jump to top MyGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Aug-12-2012, 02:13:29 AM   #2
Dizzeep
Blue Dreamin 24/7

In the garage:

India

Default Re: 2006 ir zcp m3

Nice! Welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase!

CF front splitters were one of my first mods too. I really like the way they looked (recently switched to a front lip).

Looking forward to your updates and progress on the car.

Edit: I too have the Khoalty blacked out grille and gills and one of my front grilles has a clip loose and has had it for a little over a year. No issues with it falling out at all. It does get a bit loose time to time but push it back and place and you are good to go for a while.

Last edited by Dizzeep; Sun, Aug-12-2012 at 02:19:36 AM.
Jump to top Dizzeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Aug-12-2012, 02:38:33 AM   #3
scrace

United States

Good choices. You should consider getting painted reflectors, makes a huge difference.

2001 Topaz Blue 325Ci 64-120k miles sold
2003.5 Silver Gray M3 70k miles
Jump to top scrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Aug-12-2012, 05:50:10 AM   #4
volcomstone

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrace View Post
Good choices. You should consider getting painted reflectors, makes a huge difference.
+1 on the painted reflectors...does makes a huge difference.

Anyways, OP...car looks great and I really also dig the OEM grill and gills on the IR paint and ZCP wheels.

02' LSB M3
Jump to top volcomstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Aug-12-2012, 11:39:54 PM   #5
MyGuitar

Croatia

Thanks guys, gonna be working on it here and there, definitely agree on the reflectors.
Old Mon, Aug-13-2012, 05:17:26 AM   #6
RebL

In the garage:

United States

Congrats on the pick up! IMO the clean stock look is better, in both appearance and quality.

Paint match those reflectors and lose the license plate!

Great transactions with: 3M_64E, M3Tonka, metal_militia, hockey930, DholiRaja209, XYKO E46, jason@TSI, e46involved, Drift4, deeboym3, cansis332i, AshkonB, Jason@Tischer, playskool1, nitro3421, Tyson2busy, Cal M3, MDoubleU, nnacpil, daytonaviolet, conzyo, cOrNiZzY, Sylva_m3, rcgservices, SkeeterV, Metal, indonazn, deadlysyns, BevsM3, hsverma, M3_MANN, BabooshkieDude, moreisbetter, mpower22, edwin814, m3.BrunoF, kahuuna123, jpiche1, 04yfz, rickflairne, tatlo, hjm3, gqpenguin, astris, sebringjetta, Arkaid, M3FORM33, ///Marini, kotani, ej205gdb, greentea5425, fishercs, absolutealex, Icarus13, vishus7, m3freak86, ///M Powerd, king-rb, cyberkaa, LagunaM3, Pblue678, mvs2, beammer2006, rexosaurus, kyuss, The Nebulizer payam972, and 1TEXM3, OneFastSicilian, MikeyG6767, Status Gruppe Tuning, p0lar, RiegerMti, sullybmwm3, itsme, Pontek2, NASAGTS3MAN, mfanatic12, Doubler, whc1228,MaddHatter00, RaehZa and more!
Jump to top RebL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Aug-15-2012, 04:37:18 AM   #7
MyGuitar

Croatia

Can't lose the plate, they really crack down on it in CO.
Old Wed, Aug-15-2012, 05:28:49 AM   #8
e46jan
Blau M3

In the garage:

United States

nice ride!
Old Mon, Aug-20-2012, 09:30:38 PM   #9
MyGuitar

Croatia

After a nice wash on a hot Sunday.

Old Sat, Dec-22-2012, 02:49:27 AM   #10
MyGuitar

Croatia

1 year ownership updates:

1) My timing was a little off recently, no issues while driving but the SES was on so I got it fixed. The only difference is that the car seems to start up better. - $1200 at the stealer.

2) Blizzaks LM-25 - bought them used on eBay and so far, they have been nothing short of amazing. Some folks say that they are a little loud and weird on dry and I agree, but it's soooo worth it for the snow and ice. I'd dare say it's as good as my Impreza on snow, DSC is a blessing!

3) The red stripe on the black rear M3 badge from Khoalty has mostly faded so avoid shopping for this bit from them.

4) Bimmian replacement M colors stickers are the most ghetto excuse for a replacement M sticker I could imagine. Each color comes as a separate strip, instead of being one solid piece with three colors like OEM, making it look like some elementary school collage project. AVOID!

5) Khoalty front grills fit OK at first but won't stay on straight because the clips aren't lined up all that well. I definitely recommend getting a set from Stealth instead - it's a little more but it will fit better and last like OEM.

In short, the only things I can honestly recommend from Khoalty are the side gills and the lip. The rear badge is OK sans the sticker; the front grille doesn't seem to fit that well so avoid buying that, and the corner lights may or may not fit (one was good but the other was a little off in my case). Spend a little more with someone more reputable and you will get a better product that won't cause you headaches later.

I have to add that Khoalty does have amazing customer service. Props there!

This thing has seen over $10K in engine repairs since I got it one year +3 days ago today. I would hope that this is uncommon and that I landed an unlucky example and I don't want to scare any potential buyers, but just keep in mind that VANOS issues may or may not strike, regardless of what your pre-purchase inspection says. Lucky for me most of it was in the early part of the year when I still had the factory warranty. The car runs great but it doesn't inspire confidence - anyone who's owned a Acura before will know what I'm talking about. I took my Integra to the 8.5K red line daily and never had any issues with the car.

I do love every second I spend in the car though. M3 is just so nice to be in and a beast when you want it to be. Take away the warranty repairs and I've spent about ~$2500 on it in maintenance/repair costs this year - $960 for timing re-adjustment with a $300 cam position sensor replacement, $600 for a new alternator (likely went out because the car was sitting idle for two months at the dealer when they were replacing the VANOS and all the bent valves....), $100 for a new battery, $100 for an oil change and $500 for a set of used Blizzaks. The $100 oil change included a full inspection 1, minus the valve adjustment because that was already done in June when the head and VANOS were being rebuilt.

Last edited by MyGuitar; Wed, May-18-2016 at 03:53:56 PM.
Jump to top MyGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote