BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > Forced Induction (F/I)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Forced Induction (F/I) Discuss the ever growing F/I options here!

Old Sun, Feb-12-2017, 06:45:04 AM   #1
coopnasty4424

In the garage:

United States

Default Max boost

Does anyone know the max boost you can run on our motors with mahle pistons, carillo con rods, je cut ring head gasket, new rod bearings and stock compression? I'll also be pairing this with a lang racing 2.5 head and some 280/272 cams and Dinan throttle bodies.

I'm looking to make 13-14 psi and with the ess 575 7 rib crank pulley and a custom 74mm sc pulley from ess I believe I can achieve this, just wanna make sure my motor can take it

Jump to top coopnasty4424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Feb-12-2017, 02:17:31 PM   #2
pbonsalb

Default Re: Max boost

If you are building the motor, reduce compression and you can run more boost. If you are not reducing compression, the fancy parts won't do much to reduce the chance of detonation, though perhaps the higher overlap of the cams will bleed more low to midrange boost. I think you will notice a huge improvement up top due to added flow through the motor and will have to change the blower pulley ratio just to get the same boost as before. Mod the motor, flow through it improves, and with a supercharger boost dropship because output is fixed by the pulleys. Boost is a measure of restriction through the motor and you just reduced the restriction. Bring boost back to where it was and you will be making a bunch more power.

Consider a turbo from maximum psi if you want big power. The supercharger cannot compete.
Jump to top pbonsalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Feb-12-2017, 07:59:37 PM   #3
coopnasty4424

In the garage:

United States

So what do you think I would need to achieve about 650/700 hp with a sc, I prefer to suck with that as I already have a dsm that's turbod and I'd like to keep the original driving characteristics of the m3. What compression should I drop to? 9:1? And how much boost would I need to then run to achieve this goal do you think? I know I can drop to a 74mm sc pulley without any belt slip but what size crank pulley should I run to also bump the boost up to compensate for the lower compression?

Old Sun, Feb-12-2017, 09:16:40 PM   #4
pbonsalb

If you search around, you won't find many successful 650-700 rwhp centrifugal S54 owners. This is for a reason, and you might think carefully about whether you really want to try to succeed where so many others have failed. I would sell your centrifugal kit before you dump more money into it, drop CR to 9.5:1 and buy a Maximum Psi turbo system.
Old Mon, Feb-13-2017, 04:01:51 AM   #5
coopnasty4424

In the garage:

United States

It doesn't have to be 700. I don't want to go turbo, hence why I have my talon. I just wanna build a scd monster and I'm trying to see how far I could go if I'm already rebuilding the engine and what dropping the compression would do for me

Old Wed, Mar-01-2017, 05:15:38 PM   #6
Tove
They See Me Rollin'

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
If you search around, you won't find many successful 650-700 rwhp centrifugal S54 owners. This is for a reason, and you might think carefully about whether you really want to try to succeed where so many others have failed. I would sell your centrifugal kit before you dump more money into it, drop CR to 9.5:1 and buy a Maximum Psi turbo system.
Great advice here. Or you can accept it as a challenge

BMW Enthusiast since 1987 | Tove aka Genuine
Jump to top Tove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Mar-01-2017, 09:47:42 PM   #7
Jaycent@Mpact
top down, wind deflector up :)

United States

I run 18.5 lbs of boost on a stock block and internals for 40k miles (Maximum PSI Turbo) without issue on fuel. I know their build motors are running as high as you need on pump gas.

Also: I have not seen a s/c monster out there yet. Why not have 2 turbo cars?

MPACT 2017 Motorsports Festival and Car Show
Saturday August 12th @ Pocono Raceway
www.mpacteast.com
Jump to top Jaycent@Mpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Mar-06-2017, 04:47:26 PM   #8
CharlaybitM3
I dont like DSC

In the garage:

United States

Ditch the dinan TBs... minor gains with an N/A motor... basically pointless for F/I.

Cams can get you another 30-40whp if you absolutly need it... but bang for the buck I'd say its not worth it.

You can make 600whp with a blower and stock motor. No need to go cut ring and all that unless you are running 20+ psi But you'll need to run it on E85. As others have stated detonation is the enemy. Once you get over ~10psi on pump gas you'll start having issues with it. I dont know the particulars of the ESS kit but with an AA setup you can go full time E85, run no intercooler to minimize boost drop and hit it with 14-15psi all day. The extra alcohol in the fuel takes care of detonation just fine.

If you really want to build the motor and drop compression and still avoid turbo... I'd look at a procharger. Make a custom setup if you have the means. Their headunits are much larger than the Vortec and Rotrex used in all the "kits" You'd have to put in some work but I bet you could build a 900whp centrifigal setup easy with one of those pushing ~30psi at the motor.

"Not putting miles on your M3 is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend..." -Someone Awesome
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
I like it on mine, tips didn't line up perfect, but good enough. Its off a newer car that makes more power so I know it makes more power on my car.

You can make a custom flange to connect it to your stock header with JB weld.

Sound is an 8/10, I was expecting it to sound like a V8 since its a V8 exhaust. It doesn't, anybody know why this is? Does it have to do with how I installed it?

Last edited by CharlaybitM3; Mon, Mar-06-2017 at 04:53:04 PM.
Jump to top CharlaybitM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Mar-06-2017, 06:14:27 PM   #9
pbonsalb

Vortech makes a Ti Trim that outflows the Si Trim that ESS uses (which outflows the SCi Trim that VFE uses -- and the SCi Trim probably flows about the same as the biggest Rotrex available, the C38-92, that AA uses). Ti Trim may be slightly bulkier and have slightly bigger inlet/outlet but would be worth looking into fitment if you insist on having a big blower dragging on the crankshaft adding heat and sapping about 100 hp if you are making big power.

TTFS has a kit to run E85 and can also tune the car to run E85. You may need large and expensive injectors for E85, but it has the octane to allow more boost on stock compression without detonation and the added quantity of fuel needed with E85 has a cooling effect that is beneficial. I would still run an intercooler with big power on E85.
Old Tue, Mar-07-2017, 01:42:46 AM   #10
Nicholas1996

Greece

I am going to run 9 psi on e85 on what is considered the Prima Elite. Should net about 520whp. Isn't there that crazy Rotrex build on e85 that is running 16 psi making 635WHP? I think he has the highest S/C e46 m3 with a stock motor and DME.
AEM Infinity
Tuned by Ian @Bend Calibration
Jump to top Nicholas1996 is offline   Reply With Quote