BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > M3 Track: Racing and DE
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

M3 Track: Racing and DE Best mod for speed is learning to get the most out of what you currently have. Tracks and DE's is the place to start!

Old Wed, May-25-2011, 10:14:58 PM   #1
bimmerfan08

In the garage:

United States

Default Need advice on square setup. Thanks

Recently I decided to run a square OEM 18 wheel setup with 265/35/18. Im still on stock suspension and plan to stay like this for awhile until Im out of college and making more money (Id rather spend my money on keeping the car running then blowing on mods for now, so please understand my situation). Anyhow I wanted to know what exactly are the preferred camber settings for a square setup on stock height? right now im at the factory camber settings. Also my fronts stick out a little more than my rears...should I go with hubcentric spacers in the rear such at 15mm? Any help and input would be greatly appreciated and responses with explanations would be greatly favored. Thanks guys.

"The most difficult part of figuring out a car, the engineering, has been accomplished. Repairs and maintenance are simply dissembling parts and reassembling them." - bimmerfan08
Jump to top bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, May-26-2011, 12:53:20 AM   #2
kk2
visor up for pleasure

United States

Default Re: Need advice on square setup. Thanks

Yes, you could use spacers. You've effectively widened the front end by whatever (in addition to adding a bigger contact patch), so the rear could use a little extra grip as well.

Pull the pins, max out front camber and get the rear aligned in proportion with what you can get the front to.
Jump to top kk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, May-26-2011, 01:14:48 AM   #3
selflove

United States

what's your purpose or goal for the car? Is it for looks or for performance (on the track or just street)?
Jump to top selflove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, May-26-2011, 03:55:21 AM   #4
bimmerfan08

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by selflove View Post
what's your purpose or goal for the car? Is it for looks or for performance (on the track or just street)?
performance...if it was for looks, I wouldve gone with different wheels

"The most difficult part of figuring out a car, the engineering, has been accomplished. Repairs and maintenance are simply dissembling parts and reassembling them." - bimmerfan08
Old Thu, May-26-2011, 01:31:08 PM   #5
jph28
Back in 'Merica

In the garage:

United States

I would say just max front negative camber (madrussian DIY) and leave everything else as-is.

You could do rear spacers (although 15mm seems borderline too large for fender interference? I could be wrong) and a rear alignment, but neither are "necessary". That is, as long as your rear alignment isn't eating tires, etc.

When I was in your position (albeit on MT1s, 9.5 et35) that's what I did, although I had a 15mm spacer in rear for total et20. Now that I'm lowered, even with -2* in the rear and a 12mm spacer the tire is very close to the fender - 15mm with OEM 18s (total would be et12 IIRC?) would definitely have a problem I think.

Current - 2018 M2, 2018 F31 330i
2004 SilverGrey 6MT Sold

Past - 18 Tahoe / '15 F31d / '02 M5 / '04 M3 / '12 VW JSW TDI / '91 Saab 900TC / '98 M3 / '06 WRX / '98 ITR / '88 Saab 9000T
Jump to top jph28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, May-27-2011, 12:20:57 AM   #6
bimmerfan08

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jph28 View Post
I would say just max front negative camber (madrussian DIY) and leave everything else as-is.

You could do rear spacers (although 15mm seems borderline too large for fender interference? I could be wrong) and a rear alignment, but neither are "necessary". That is, as long as your rear alignment isn't eating tires, etc.

When I was in your position (albeit on MT1s, 9.5 et35) that's what I did, although I had a 15mm spacer in rear for total et20. Now that I'm lowered, even with -2* in the rear and a 12mm spacer the tire is very close to the fender - 15mm with OEM 18s (total would be et12 IIRC?) would definitely have a problem I think.
So a 10mm or 12mm spacer would be optimal? Thanks for the explantation

Old Fri, May-27-2011, 04:54:22 AM   #7
jph28
Back in 'Merica

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
So a 10mm or 12mm spacer would be optimal? Thanks for the explantation
Well, I believe the OEM 18 is a 9", et27 wheel. So compared to a 9.5" et35 it is about 6mm "inboard" from the outer fender due to wheel width and a 8mm farther out due to offset for a total of 2mm closer to the outer fender (someone correct me if I'm wrong). So I'd honestly say "no" spacer is OK, or 10mm at the most, although some will say that 10mm have some problems due to weakness at the hub... I'd honestly say no spacer in the rear

Current - 2018 M2, 2018 F31 330i
2004 SilverGrey 6MT Sold

Past - 18 Tahoe / '15 F31d / '02 M5 / '04 M3 / '12 VW JSW TDI / '91 Saab 900TC / '98 M3 / '06 WRX / '98 ITR / '88 Saab 9000T
Jump to top jph28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, May-27-2011, 02:24:54 PM   #8
mustangkev

In the garage:

United Kingdom

I've run square oem 18's with 265/35/18 tyres. I was on stock suspension with max camber from stock adjustments which was about -1.2 at the back. I used a 12mm spacer in the back with no issues. I agree that 15mm would most likely rub.
Jump to top mustangkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, May-27-2011, 06:16:35 PM   #9
vtn86

United States

There's a member Blazen XLT or something of that name configuration. Check his Member Journal, I think he ran 12.5mm spacer in the rear with no issues. He was running the exact setup you're speaking of.
Jump to top vtn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, May-28-2011, 04:29:18 AM   #10
bimmerfan08

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jph28 View Post
Well, I believe the OEM 18 is a 9", et27 wheel. So compared to a 9.5" et35 it is about 6mm "inboard" from the outer fender due to wheel width and a 8mm farther out due to offset for a total of 2mm closer to the outer fender (someone correct me if I'm wrong). So I'd honestly say "no" spacer is OK, or 10mm at the most, although some will say that 10mm have some problems due to weakness at the hub... I'd honestly say no spacer in the rear
Thanks for the response, Im actually trying to push the tire out and make it fill the wheel well similar to the front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangkev View Post
I've run square oem 18's with 265/35/18 tyres. I was on stock suspension with max camber from stock adjustments which was about -1.2 at the back. I used a 12mm spacer in the back with no issues. I agree that 15mm would most likely rub.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtn86 View Post
There's a member Blazen XLT or something of that name configuration. Check his Member Journal, I think he ran 12.5mm spacer in the rear with no issues. He was running the exact setup you're speaking of.
Thanks for the responses guys, I look into it.