BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, Dec-20-2019, 02:24:18 PM   #41
oceansize
Kwisatz Haderach

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Quick SMG review from an inexperienced driver

Sometimes people forget that many of us have more than one or even two or even three cars.

I've mentioned before that I daily a modified Focus ST 6 MT (suspension, stiffer motor mounts, aftermarket blow off valve, larger intercooler, tune, cold air intake, wheels, SSK) . Stupid fun little car. I've got another car that is manual as well that provides weekend entertainment.

There is a novelty to having the CSL tuned SMG in the e46 m3 that I enjoy and provides a different experience than the others. It feels right. With that said, if I was limited to one car I might feel differently as SMG maintenance is not for the feint of heart. Don't know.

2003 M3 Convertible SMG w/Hardtop | GC Coilovers and Camber Plates | ESS VT1-475 Gen 3 Supercharger | Stoptech Brakes
Apex ARC-8 19" Hypersilver | CSL SMG (and 255) Tune | RE Diablo Exhaust w/ SS Tips | RE Rasp Pipe | SMG Relocation
Redish Reinforcement Plates | Polyurethane Rear Subframe Bushings | Polyurethane Differential Bushings | Beisan Oil Pump Disk
Storm Motorwerks SMG Paddles | Two Tone Black/Grey Interior | Alcantara E-brake Boot
Very Recent Maintenance: FCABs | FCAs | RTABs | Motor Mounts | PS Hoses | Inner/Outer Tie Rods | End Links | Vanos Solenoid |
Driveshaft R&R | Flex Disc | Fan Clutch | Trans Fluid | Diff fluid
Jump to top oceansize is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Dec-20-2019, 04:03:31 PM   #42
Ob917

United States

I love the smg more every time I drive it.
Jump to top Ob917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-20-2019, 04:13:22 PM   #43
neopolymath

In the garage:

United States

Where is M Spec???
Jump to top neopolymath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-20-2019, 04:23:27 PM   #44
oceansize
Kwisatz Haderach

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by neopolymath View Post
Where is M Spec???
I was just looking at his FS ad.

2003 M3 Convertible SMG w/Hardtop | GC Coilovers and Camber Plates | ESS VT1-475 Gen 3 Supercharger | Stoptech Brakes
Apex ARC-8 19" Hypersilver | CSL SMG (and 255) Tune | RE Diablo Exhaust w/ SS Tips | RE Rasp Pipe | SMG Relocation
Redish Reinforcement Plates | Polyurethane Rear Subframe Bushings | Polyurethane Differential Bushings | Beisan Oil Pump Disk
Storm Motorwerks SMG Paddles | Two Tone Black/Grey Interior | Alcantara E-brake Boot
Very Recent Maintenance: FCABs | FCAs | RTABs | Motor Mounts | PS Hoses | Inner/Outer Tie Rods | End Links | Vanos Solenoid |
Driveshaft R&R | Flex Disc | Fan Clutch | Trans Fluid | Diff fluid
Jump to top oceansize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-20-2019, 08:11:40 PM   #45
Texaz3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceansize View Post
Sometimes people forget that many of us have more than one or even two or even three cars.

I've mentioned before that I daily a modified Focus ST 6 MT (suspension, stiffer motor mounts, aftermarket blow off valve, larger intercooler, tune, cold air intake, wheels, SSK) . Stupid fun little car. I've got another car that is manual as well that provides weekend entertainment.

There is a novelty to having the CSL tuned SMG in the e46 m3 that I enjoy and provides a different experience than the others. It feels right. With that said, if I was limited to one car I might feel differently as SMG maintenance is not for the feint of heart. Don't know.
Exactly. I have 3 other cars with manuals, 2 with SMG, and one automatic. This is my 4th E46M and I had 2 manuals and one SMG before. For my last one, I was looking for SMG only.
Old Tue, Dec-24-2019, 04:39:36 AM   #46
TramRam
TramRam

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjchristopher View Post
It's actually not that bad with the CSL tune. That completely transformed the experience.
I think I read every one of the posts on this thread and am convinced that there will always be SMG haters & I have come to accept that as much as there are cat 'people' and people who hate cats! SMG is like a Tango/Salsa dance partner; Do get it right it requires that you pay very close attention to the subtleties of the dance and to her movements which when you get it right, it's *UCKIN' GLORIOUS! The SMG is for sure quirky in that it is a system that you have to engage WITH to get the most from but I enjoy the required concentration! IMO it's THAT concentration that you NEED to apply that many manual drivers don't like! Dual clutch cars are very nice too but I'll still love my bitchy SMG because she is not easy to get right but it's so rewarding when I do! I JUST installed Buildjournal's B-Spec tune with the SMG enhancements. To me, it doesn't improve the Auto side of SMG as much as it does the Manual side. Is there a better SMG tune available to us that is known to be better than this? I can't say I'm happy with this one. Thx!
Old Tue, Dec-24-2019, 03:29:42 PM   #47
MTiz

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by TramRam View Post
I think I read every one of the posts on this thread and am convinced that there will always be SMG haters & I have come to accept that as much as there are cat 'people' and people who hate cats! SMG is like a Tango/Salsa dance partner; Do get it right it requires that you pay very close attention to the subtleties of the dance and to her movements which when you get it right, it's *UCKIN' GLORIOUS! The SMG is for sure quirky in that it is a system that you have to engage WITH to get the most from but I enjoy the required concentration! IMO it's THAT concentration that you NEED to apply that many manual drivers don't like! Dual clutch cars are very nice too but I'll still love my bitchy SMG because she is not easy to get right but it's so rewarding when I do! I JUST installed Buildjournal's B-Spec tune with the SMG enhancements. To me, it doesn't improve the Auto side of SMG as much as it does the Manual side. Is there a better SMG tune available to us that is known to be better than this? I can't say I'm happy with this one. Thx!
It's definitely a really fun transmission and it's almost certainly what I'll end up in. But the end goal will always be to swap it to a true 6-speed.
Jump to top MTiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Dec-24-2019, 05:59:22 PM   #48
Paulo M

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by TramRam View Post
That’s the thing I’m confused about. You call it “haters” but the person that started this thread is an smg owner looking to swap to 6spd. All threads that compare 6mt and smg have been initiated by smg owners looking to swap lol. Just enjoy the car if you truly like the transmission. No need for validations.

And the biggest smg hater is bmw. They dropped it after just one generation. Dct is about to hit 3 generations now for m3’s.
Old Tue, Dec-24-2019, 07:51:44 PM   #49
eyekahn

United States

Default Quick SMG review from an inexperienced driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo M View Post
That’s the thing I’m confused about. You call it “haters” but the person that started this thread is an smg owner looking to swap to 6spd. All threads that compare 6mt and smg have been initiated by smg owners looking to swap lol. Just enjoy the car if you truly like the transmission. No need for validations.

And the biggest smg hater is bmw. They dropped it after just one generation. Dct is about to hit 3 generations now for m3’s.

BMW made the SMG for 15 years. We are currently on year 12 of the DCT.

Again, no one is comparing SMG to DCT. That's apples to oranges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by eyekahn; Tue, Dec-24-2019 at 08:07:56 PM.
Jump to top eyekahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Dec-24-2019, 08:07:26 PM   #50
eyekahn

United States

Default Quick SMG review from an inexperienced driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyekahn View Post
BMW made the SMG for 15 years. We are currently on year 12 of the DCT.

Again, no one is comparing SMG to DCT. That's apples to oranges.

Edited: Forgot about the E36 SMG.