BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > M3 Track: Racing and DE
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

M3 Track: Racing and DE Best mod for speed is learning to get the most out of what you currently have. Tracks and DE's is the place to start!

Old Sun, Oct-24-2010, 10:08:11 PM   #21
jph28
Back in 'Merica

In the garage:

United States

^^ I am definitely going with those conti DW extremes for the street once I go R-comps next year (255/40-18 square). Great looking tires and light.

Current - 2018 M2, 2018 F31 330i
2004 SilverGrey 6MT Sold

Past - 18 Tahoe / '15 F31d / '02 M5 / '04 M3 / '12 VW JSW TDI / '91 Saab 900TC / '98 M3 / '06 WRX / '98 ITR / '88 Saab 9000T
Jump to top jph28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Oct-26-2010, 04:50:44 AM   #22
Zoomz
Vroom.. Vroom.....

United States

i would go for the hankooks, i have had them for over a year now.
I think they are Very very good street and light track use

Far from stock
Jump to top Zoomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Oct-26-2010, 08:41:02 PM   #23
The Nebulizer

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by APIindy View Post
What a great tread. I should have asked this a while ago. I have been looking at the Hankooks for a while because the other Hankooks I had were awesome. I have been trying to decide what to buy since I feel I am ready for R-comps at the track but can not decide on wheels...
I don't think those are the Hankooks you want. You probably want the RS-3 for track use. The V12 is more of a compromise daily driver with occasional performance use tire.
Jump to top The Nebulizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Dec-06-2010, 03:43:36 AM   #24
selflove

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
Which yokohama tires were tested in those charts? Link to original site?

It was the Yokohama S.Drive.

Here's the link:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests
Jump to top selflove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Dec-06-2010, 01:18:54 PM   #25
pal

United States

I ran the Conti DW (245/35/19, 275/30/19) on 19x8.5/19x10 rims for a year and about 10 track days. On the track they are a very good tire in terms of consistency (braking, turn in and grip) and provide good feedback at the limits for catching the car if it starts to go out under you; but they lack overall grip in the dry. They seem to settle into an average grip level and stay there. In the wet they are stellar - simply amazing; and they are probably one of the best street tires that (budget) money can buy. After 10 track days and lots of hwy miles, they still have tons of tread - if it was not for a flat on track, I would still have them on the car.

I switched to RE-11s in the same size and these are heavy as hell tires. Tried them at Road Atlanta a couple of weeks ago and the heavier weight is more than made up for with dry grip and cornering response - this is a FAST track tire. After 300 miles on track and a 1640 mile round trip drive (~1940 miles), the tread looks like it has tons if life so I am hoping to get next season out of these.

DWs (and Hankook V12s) are a great street tire and fine for occasional track use. But when pushed, you will find the grip level to be mediocre but reliable and consistent. I would not even compare DWs to RE-11s (or SSs) as the two are in a different ballpark altogether.
Jump to top pal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Dec-06-2010, 03:58:37 PM   #26
BluePiranha

United States

I had a pair of Dunlop Star Specs 245/40-18 and 275/35-18 mounted on the OEM 18 rims which are 8"Front and 9"Rear. Used the tires for some daily driving but mostly track and autox. I absolutely loved those tires. Great grip in dry and wet. Those tire sizes were a bit of a stretch on the rims I had. During hard cornering, with stock camber(pins removed), I definitely saw some rollover in the front. Rear was not as bad.
Jump to top BluePiranha is offline   Reply With Quote