BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Nov-16-2010, 12:18:23 AM   #1
///NNM

In the garage:

Russian Federation

Default Drive-By-Wire (DBW) initial delay too long...

So i have read plenty of threads about DBW and boosters...

here is what i want to solve: the delay between the time i press on the pedal gas and the time the engine starts to rev-up. my car had it since i bought it, but i am not the first owner, so i am not sure if it was like that before me or not.

a BMW mechanic said that my car, indeed, has too much delay between the time i press on gas and the time the engine revs up. this applies to standing still and just trying to rev to whatever RPM and driving in whatever gear. this also applies with DSC off or on. this also applies with sport button off or on... in fact, if i press and let go the pedal fast enough, the engine wont rev at all... obviously, it is upsetting me to say the least.

i understand the difference between e46 and e36. i also understand what drive-by-wire is, so please no "smart" remarks as i seen them on previous "lag" posts... i also understand that delay is simply to long in my particular case.

i am sure there is something wrong with something, but i do not know what it is. there are no codes, DME was never re-coded with anything aftermarket (it is OEM).

Alright, so i have considered the following:
a) replace the pedal assembly
b) add "Sprint Booster"
c) perform a DME re-flash with some kind of aftermarket code
d) yes, even a SharkInjector
e) somehow converting the Drive-By-Wire to throttle wire

obviously, from my mileage reports, my driving abilities and experience with sport mode/non sport mode DSC/no DSChas nothing to do with this... i have driven my car with any and all combination of the settings with different kinds of tires, wheels, differential and so on. i was not able to find hte replacement pedal on realoem though (don't know part number).

i am seeking an advise from someone who had similar issue and was able to solve it somehow. i am not seeking an advise from someone who has NOT experienced this issue and thinks it is just the drive-by-wire working.

thank you in advance.

Last edited by ///NNM; Tue, Nov-16-2010 at 12:19:13 AM. Reason: addition...
Jump to top ///NNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Nov-16-2010, 12:40:46 AM   #2
///NNM

In the garage:

Russian Federation

ok, i did find the pedal today... not sure why it was not there before.. 35426786282 but he question still stands, who had this issue?
Old Tue, Nov-16-2010, 01:16:24 AM   #3
turbof128
Slow AutoxR

In the garage:

United States

Have you tried resetting the throttle adaptation?

With the car off, turn the ignition to the on position for 10 seconds (do not start) then turn the ignition off for 10 seconds. Then start the car.
Jump to top turbof128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Nov-16-2010, 01:26:47 AM   #4
///NNM

In the garage:

Russian Federation

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbof128 View Post

With the car off, turn the ignition to the on position for 10 seconds (do not start) then turn the ignition off for 10 seconds. Then start the car.
no, i have not, i will do that... thank you for advise... i will report back as soon as i do this...
Old Tue, Nov-16-2010, 04:05:15 AM   #5
selflove

United States

I have a same issue with the delay (I call it lag), but I'm not sure what is causing it. My car is supercharged, but I can't remember if the delay occurred before the s/c. I had both TPSes changed already. The issue is most annoying when I'm trying to revmatch downshift and the throttle doesn't want to make the RPM go higher.

I haven't tried resetting the throttle adaptation, yet.
Jump to top selflove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Nov-16-2010, 10:45:00 PM   #6
selflove

United States

I tried the fix and it seemed to work since the revs occurred quicker on my way to work. I'll have to play around with it more to be sure that it actually did something. Also I noticed that when I started the engine, it took longer (about 3 seconds) for the starter to start the engine. I'm not sure if it was cuz the engine was cold for over 48hrs or because of the reset. Usually my cold starts don't take longer than 1 second, though.
Jump to top selflove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-17-2010, 09:42:33 PM   #7
///NNM

In the garage:

Russian Federation

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbof128 View Post

i tried the procedure, car is same...
although i am sure this procedure has same affect as taking battery off car for few days (lose charge in DME), which in affect will reset everything... but i am not sure completely...

anyway, i even considered throttle body replacements....
Old Thu, Nov-18-2010, 12:18:47 AM   #8
Reach

United States

N- I can only offer you a second opinion. If you want to see what my car is like with ESS on it you can try it when we get together.
Old Thu, Nov-18-2010, 12:26:54 AM   #9
kkamakasi
울산박

South Korea

drive-by-wire systems do not mutate themselves over time and since they are DME controlled, they do NOT differ from car to car. I'm highly skeptical of the delay you're 'experiencing'.
Jump to top kkamakasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Nov-18-2010, 08:50:01 AM   #10
Mr. Shadow
Banned

Canada

Software will tighten the throttle response nicely
Jump to top Mr. Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote