BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E90 M3 (Sedan) | E92 M3 (Coupe) | E93 M3 (Convertible) (2008-2013)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E90 M3 (Sedan) | E92 M3 (Coupe) | E93 M3 (Convertible) (2008-2013) {Engine: S65 - Max Hp: 414 hp (420 hp Euro) at 8,300 rpm / 295 lb/ft at 3,900 rpm}

Old Tue, Dec-04-2018, 11:13:33 PM   #11
Impastokitsch

United States

Default Re: Rod bearing - preventive maintenance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HofmeisterKinky View Post
Aren't the BE bolts not as strong as stock? Was advised that by a competent builder. FYI.

I think you're way, way too worried about this. Even if your bearings are worn, 99.9% chance they're not so bad that your engine will grenade tomorrow.

Haha ok. Thanks for your reassurance input. Thanks mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top Impastokitsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Dec-05-2018, 08:43:05 PM   #12
Kaptom540

In the garage:

United States

Here is a shop in NJ ACM that does tons of Rod Bearing replacements .. lots of photos too .. check out this post.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1262765
Jump to top Kaptom540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-06-2018, 07:28:41 PM   #13
M3_Pilot

In the garage:

United States

I had a friend who changed his rod bearings after showing elevated wear levels on his e90m and replaced them with BE bearings. That seems to be one of the best alternatives for the s65 imo. BE bearings have additional clearance which is what I think is the culprit for the s65 as opposed to just longevity wear on the s54.

2004 Jet Black/Cinnamon 6MT
@jet.m3
Jump to top M3_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-06-2018, 08:52:38 PM   #14
pbonsalb

ACL makes bearings with more clearance as well, for about 1/3 the price of BE.
Jump to top pbonsalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Dec-29-2018, 05:27:58 AM   #15
Impastokitsch

United States

Default Rod bearing - preventive maintenance?

Finally i changed to BE BEARING CRB and ARP bolts

These are the used bearings on my 57k km engine

Old Sat, Dec-29-2018, 12:09:10 PM   #16
pbonsalb

Some of those are in poor condition for 57km. It is good you changed them.
Old Tue, Jan-01-2019, 02:15:59 AM   #17
pkalhan

United States

I emailed a local indie shop that was listed on bimmershops about rod bearings. I was kicking around the idea of getting a 2010 M3 and asked if has ever done any rod bearing replacements (if I went through with the purchase, I would want to get them replaced for peace of mind). Below was his response...

When we do the rod bearing replacement, we use a heavy duty coated bearing set with heavy duty ARP connecting rod bolts. These products are vastly superior to the original bearing material, and the rod bolts are stronger. We use LiquiMoly oils here, and the combination is the best to prevent connecting rod bearing failures. The cost for this service is around $3k plus taxes and alignment.

Does this sound right and make sense? I am not too familiar with this sort of thing so was hoping someone on the forum could assist.

Thanks!
Jump to top pkalhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jan-01-2019, 02:18:32 AM   #18
Impastokitsch

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkalhan View Post
I emailed a local indie shop that was listed on bimmershops about rod bearings. I was kicking around the idea of getting a 2010 M3 and asked if has ever done any rod bearing replacements (if I went through with the purchase, I would want to get them replaced for peace of mind). Below was his response...

When we do the rod bearing replacement, we use a heavy duty coated bearing set with heavy duty ARP connecting rod bolts. These products are vastly superior to the original bearing material, and the rod bolts are stronger. We use LiquiMoly oils here, and the combination is the best to prevent connecting rod bearing failures. The cost for this service is around $3k plus taxes and alignment.

Does this sound right and make sense? I am not too familiar with this sort of thing so was hoping someone on the forum could assist.

Thanks!

A shop can provide the best parts in the world but they need to know how to do it properly.

I suggest you check with other m3 if he has many successful built on crb. Of course u need to reveal more info of the shop

Good luck

I vote for BE bearing and ARP bolts

Old Tue, Jan-01-2019, 03:52:35 AM   #19
HofmeisterKinky
See what I did there?

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkalhan View Post

Thanks!
Ask them how many cars have run for 50k+ miles on that combination and had their rod bearings inspected again, and what the results were. My bet is they've seen few to none so far. That seems to be the case for most if not all shops.

There are plenty of reasons to imagine why coated bearings (or BE bearings, or updated BMW bearings) might be better than the originals. Ditto ARP rod bolts. Maybe even Liqui-Moly oils. The fact is, none of those options has racked up remotely enough bench testing or miles in the field to give a good idea of how well it works.

All we know is that stock bearings with stock rod bolts and stock oil are fine until ~60k miles or more (sometimes MUCH more), barring horrible abuse -- but that it's wise to plan to replace them every 60k-100k. We don't know if any aftermarket bearings, bolts, or oil (let alone any given combo) would work any better.

If these guys know differently and are willing to explain why, please ask them to post up.
Old Tue, Jan-01-2019, 01:55:12 PM   #20
pbonsalb

How does anyone know stock bearings are fine to 60k miles? A few posts up are pictures of stock bearings with 35k miles (57k kilometers) and they look bad.

Were I doing bearings today, I’d get extra clearance bearings, probably coated ones, and use arp or Carrillo bolts. I do think the $3k price is overpriced but maybe the shop is in an expensive area like San Francisco. $2000-$2500 is more commonly the price.