BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E90 M3 (Sedan) | E92 M3 (Coupe) | E93 M3 (Convertible) (2008-2013)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E90 M3 (Sedan) | E92 M3 (Coupe) | E93 M3 (Convertible) (2008-2013) {Engine: S65 - Max Hp: 414 hp (420 hp Euro) at 8,300 rpm / 295 lb/ft at 3,900 rpm}

Old Sat, May-18-2019, 06:30:33 PM   #1
2009e92m3

In the garage:

Canada

Question Help, Transmission Malfunction & Start-off assistance inactive can't start up car...

Hi all,

I back up on my driveway so there's a bit of an incline. I turned off my engine to run in to get something, when I came back out to restart my car to back up the drive way, the engine turned over shortly but didn't catch and I got these two warnings. Now I can't start my car's engine at all. Everytime I press the button, all I get are these messages. I see that my P probably wasn't engaged, I have my E-Brake pulled up all the way to prevent the car from sliding back down into the road. Should I let it down onto the flat road before starting (in case the incline sensor is wreaking havoc with the Start-off assist?). Its in the driveway now, I just don't want it stuck in the middle of the roadway if it doesn't start up.

Has anyone experience this before, most of the searches I've found people were still able to start the engine and limp home or to a service centre. There is was one person that had to replace their TCU. Any clues, comments or suggestions? I'm waiting overnight in hopes that it might start up tomorrow (it does say in the message that; "Engine start may be possible with a delay" but I tried that an hour later and the next day now with no luck).

Please help.
Jump to top 2009e92m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, May-18-2019, 08:29:26 PM   #2
Texaz3

United States

Default Re: Help, Transmission Malfunction & Start-off assistance inactive can't start up car

Just put into neutral, roll it down the driveway, put on a flat surface. Try to restart.
Old Mon, May-20-2019, 07:36:34 PM   #3
2009e92m3

In the garage:

Canada

Default Re: Help, Transmission Malfunction & Start-off assistance inactive can't start up car

Took off the gear stick boot to manually unlock the transmission and rolled it down the hill to flat ground and it didn't start.

I did try to boost the car with my wife's car and it still didn't start. The tow truck driver also hooked up one of those small battery pack boosters and the car still didn't start.

Got it towed and dropped off at my mechanics (long weekend here) so hopefully they'll look at it on Tuesday. One of the message did briefly flash "Battery - Low Voltage", but it didn't stay, the only that stayed is the Transmission Malfunction. You'd think that if it was the battery, it would start with the jump or battery pack?

If I do get the battery replaced, should I go with OEM or is there a better AGM battery you would recommend?
Old Sat, May-25-2019, 03:52:35 PM   #4
2009e92m3

In the garage:

Canada

Here's the update, it was the battery after all!

That's the good news, funny how my old trusted mechanic couldn't diagnose and sent me to the dealership.

You'd think with all those warnings on the screen, one of them should have said something about batteries. The dealership was pretty good at seeing me right away (not like BMW Toronto where its a 2-3wks waiting period to make an appointment!). But they couldn't diagnose the problem in the original $185 diagnostics fee, they needed me to authorize another $175 in diagnostics to find the problem. $862 later I have a new battery and grounding strip and a soreness in my backside that I can't walk straight. But at least I have my car back after a week and its running fine. Thanks for all the help, glad it wasn't a transmission problem or TCU replacement.