BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sun, May-28-2017, 02:14:43 PM   #131
Malloy

United States

Default Re: What do you guys and gals have as fun daily drivers?

Cool thread!

My current F31(diesel) is going back in July so I'm shopping for a new daily. Thinking about about:

-F31 (N20)
-Focus RS
-Golf R
-6G Camaro 1LE (Alpha platform)
-S550 Performance Pack/Recaro

The last 2 do not fit the role of daily in PA too well but I'm very impressed by the advances Chevy and Ford have made with these platforms so I kinda want to give them a try.

I've been looking for months for a 5MT e46 Touring or a fair deal on a MT ZHP or E91 but I've pretty much given up.

'05 M3 - 79k | SGM | Cloth | 6MT | Sunroof Delete | Stoptech 380/355 | 19" BBS LM-R | Redish Kit
'14 328d Wagon - Estoril Blue | MSport
Jump to top Malloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, May-28-2017, 02:30:57 PM   #132
S0nik
booooooooooooooost

United States

E90 335i 6MT with xDrive. Running JB4 and intakes, but bone stock everything else. It's a fun DD (especially with an E85 mix on the auto tune map). First car I ever bought brand new. Have thought about selling it, but not sure what I would get instead.

At one point, I was super close to trading it in for an F01-02 750. Then I thought maybe I'd wait for F10 M5s to come further down in price. Then I thought maybe a used SomethingSomething AMG sedan.

We're also on the waiting list for the Tesla Model 3, but based on the way they're saying deliveries will be ordered, I'd expect we'd be one of the last set of folks to get one, so I'm guessing would be next summer at the earliest.

The more I daily drive anything, the more I just want a car that drives itself. I'll always have a fun car with a manual, but the closer we get to reliable self-driving technology, Point A to Point B driving is just not something I really want to do anymore haha (especially with how many 300-350mi trips we make every year)

2001 E46 M3 SC ESS VT2-525 with pretty much everything else done
2009 E90 335i xDrive (Daily) with JB4 and DCI
1995 E36 M3 (indefinite hiberation) with Garage-Built Hodgepodge Turbo and more mods than I can remember anymore; 415whp/371wtq @ 12psi
2000 E39 M5 (sadly gone; traded in for 335) with Magnaflow exhaust that I miss the most and would buy another in a heartbeat

Last edited by S0nik; Sun, May-28-2017 at 02:37:12 PM.
Jump to top S0nik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, May-29-2017, 03:23:06 PM   #133
repoman89

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by repoman89 View Post
Anybody drive a WRX? I'm looking at a ~2010-2014 hatch with the 5 speed manual as a daily. Looks like they're a little more than I want to pay for a "beater" but they seem to hold their value well.

I'm limiting my options to something with a decent AWD system for now ... though I rarely have significant problems in the snow with my current 03 330i, I want to be sure I won't get stuck when I'm really in the middle of nowhere in the mountains. I've come close once or twice to being screwed and one of those times my buddy with an STI was there and had all the traction in the world. Luckily I was eventually able to get unstuck but couldn't get up the ~quarter mile driveway of the airbnb we were staying at ...

Would love to hear about reliability (this one'll be bone stock), maintenance costs, fun factor etc.
Didn't get any responses to this, but I bought one up last week regardless so I'll be able to answer for myself soon

It's a 2014 WRX hatch with 39k miles in "ice silver" with the premium package which includes an upgraded stereo/speakers, heated seats/cold weather stuff, forget what else.

It felt solid, planted and more responsive/quicker than I expected during the test drive. Clutch is lighter and more forgiving than the M3, which is unfortunate but expected. Shifter was somewhere in between the ridiculously precise AS SSK in my M3 and sloppy economy rental cars I've driven. I could see myself installing some kind of upgraded shifter kit once I figure out what's out there in the Subaru world.

My 330i is pushing 175k miles and is quite beat up. Looking forward to AWD goodness for snowboarding trips and winter mountain driving, cargo space, low(ish) maintenance and operating costs once I figure out what this thing needs all in a speedy little package
Jump to top repoman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, May-29-2017, 03:48:34 PM   #134
e46lsb

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by repoman89 View Post
Didn't get any responses to this, but I bought one up last week regardless so I'll be able to answer for myself soon

It's a 2014 WRX hatch with 39k miles in "ice silver" with the premium package which includes an upgraded stereo/speakers, heated seats/cold weather stuff, forget what else.

It felt solid, planted and more responsive/quicker than I expected during the test drive. Clutch is lighter and more forgiving than the M3, which is unfortunate but expected. Shifter was somewhere in between the ridiculously precise AS SSK in my M3 and sloppy economy rental cars I've driven. I could see myself installing some kind of upgraded shifter kit once I figure out what's out there in the Subaru world.

My 330i is pushing 175k miles and is quite beat up. Looking forward to AWD goodness for snowboarding trips and winter mountain driving, cargo space, low(ish) maintenance and operating costs once I figure out what this thing needs all in a speedy little package

And not one pic.
Old Mon, May-29-2017, 04:14:08 PM   #135
repoman89

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46lsb View Post
And not one pic.
My apologies, breaking some kind of cardinal forum rule! This is the only one I took ...

I found the car at a Chevy dealer oddly enough. PO bought a "fixer upper" house and traded it in for a Silverado for Home Depot runs.

The dealer had this car and a 2010 STI as the "show cars" in front, most easily seen from the street. I found it odd that they didn't pick their own brand cars.

Last edited by repoman89; Mon, May-29-2017 at 04:17:25 PM.
Jump to top repoman89 is offline   Reply With Quote