BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Thu, Apr-19-2018, 05:03:23 AM   #1
Geoby0

United States

Default Beginner with an M3

Hey, Geoby here. New thread for my car, and for letting yíall know my situation and some questions I have.

Background:
For those who may not know me Iím 17 years old and have just recently purchased a 205,000 mile, e36 m3 sedan for 4500 dollars. Pulls strong and engine, trans and pretty much the whole car seems to be very strong and is holding up very well ATM. Iíll explain my situation. I wonít have any college expenses, and am a senior in high school as of now. I decided to buy the car I bought not solely because of the low purchase price but because of the relatively good maintenance records, good seller and the need for some work to be done to it. Iím going into mechanical engineering and am planning on taking videos of all the work that I do and posting it on YouTube, with the intention of maybe using the channel to offer another dimension to my application when I apply for internships. I have about 5 months to get the car to where I want it to be- if not close. I have about 4 thousand left over for parts, and a decently paying part time job. I also have a dead reliable spare Honda Odyssey at home if/ when my m3 is out of commission. By no means am I trying to dump all my money into the car, but I am trying to keep it in good shape, and am willing to spend money to do so.

Now my plans for the car:
I want to keep it for as long as I can as a street car. To do so, I want the car to last, and am ready to take the necessary steps to try and make that possible. I searched around a couple forums and found some information on which parts to replace for high mileage cars but not enough to my liking. If anyone knows of any other threads I should read, please link them below and I will gladly give them a read. I've read almost every e36 thread on here pertaining to my situation, and am now reading through member journals to try and get some more info- and because they are pretty entertaining.

A quick history on the car: owned by an enthusiast for the first 100k miles, who traded it in for an m5. Second owner owned it for the last 100k miles and did the following to it: (records attached below/came with a stack of reciepts)
He also included a trunk full of parts(pic below)

I had a PPI done on it and these were the issues and part #ís(In order from most urgent to least urgent)(Not all will be addressed immediately- some were just nitpicked and will probably be done a little later down the road)

Issue-Part Numbers- Part Name

Belts and Tensioners Cracked-11287841228(Idler Pulley);11281748131(Hydraulic Alternator Belt Tensioner Roller); 6PK1555(BMW Accessory Drive Belt)

Intake Camshaft Position Sensor Faulty- 12147830789-PO replaced a year ago due to a CEL light that came on/off periodically. He said it came on for him under 60 degrees but it comes on/ off for me randomly seemingly unrelated to the temperature. Advice needed!

Transmission Shift Shaft Seal/Output shaft seal leaking-23128677736(Selector Shaft Seal);23111224799(Output Shaft Seal);30504(Trans Fluid)

Power Steering Pump to Rack Line leaking-32411141953(Power Steering Pressure Hose);29934(Power Steering Fluid)

Power Steering Pressure Line leaking- 32412228284(Power Steering Return Hose);29934(Power Steering Fluid)

Power Steering Pump to Reservoir Line leaking-29934(More Power Steering Fluid)

Faulty Charcoal Canister-might order a used one but i've read it doesn't really affect the car if faulty- just emissions; advice?

Valve Cover Gasket Leaking- 11120034108(Valve Cover Gasket Set);11121437395(Valve Cover Seal Washer)

Oil Pan Gasket Leaking-11131437237(Oil Pan Gasket);11427833769(Oil Filter Kit);102784(Oil)

Engine Oil Vanos Line Leaking- 11361703464(VANOS Oil Line);RCS14X18(Copper Crush Washer- 14mm)

PCV System Failing and seeping oil-11151740393(Engine Oil Separator Hose);11151703775(Oil Separator Hose);11151703484(Crankcase Pressure Regulator Valve)

RTABS Worn- OEM RTABS with limiters

Resonator Rubber Clamps broken- 18301703634(Exhaust Hanger-included in trunk)

Engine Fan Clutch has slight play-11527505302(Radiator Fan Clutch)

Drivers Side Door Lock Actuator is finicky(sometimes works sometimes doesnít)- seller included new actuator in trunk

Possible Rear Main Seal Leak- 11142249533(Rear Crankshaft Seal)

PPI.was done by Eurowise in Charlotte, NC.Not sure if sourcing a used camshaft sensor and charcoal canister are good ideas, but feedback would be great. Also Iíve been told to always use OEM parts but are there any other quality brands out there thatíll cost me less?

The owner said I should probably have these done in the next 6-12 months: Radiator, Water Pump, Expansion Tank, Front right koni yellow (PO said it's getting a little less stiff-front left replaced 30k mi ago and remaining 3 were repacked at 165k), and rebuilding the shifter linkage

Other than the ones listed above, I want to address the following: Oxygen Sensor, Replace all fluids, clean MAF, RSMís, RSM Reinforcement Plates, And any other preventative maintenance items I can do

And not sure if I should do these yet but: Front and rear wheel bearings, Ball joints, Control Arms, rtab pocket reinforcements,front strut mount reinforcements, rear camber arm reinforcements, etc.

I got some simply green degreaser and will be putting the car up on some ramps or jacking it up and cleaning all the grime off the engine/hoses so I can get a baseline and see what is actually leaking and how much/is it even worth messing with- the PO sent me pictures of the leaks and i've checked most of them out and all of them are very minor/ close to nothing so I don't foresee too much money going into that.

So, with all these repairs, and keeping the car as long as possible in mind, are there any other "when we're in there" jobs I can do while doing the above? I wanted to get some feedback before i ordered the parts in case I could get a better deal on a kit or something- I want to use quality parts and do a quality job but I also want to do it cost effectively.

Overall, the car has a ton of chips and minor scratches but Iím not interested in the cosmetics, rather the mechanics. Only after I get it as close to mechanically perfect as possible do I plan on modding/ ďbeautifyingĒ the car( as my dad puts it). Now, I want to do everything in my power to keep this going as long as I can, and while I know there are some inevitables Iím still ready to do as much as i can to keep it going, I realize situations change, but as of right now this is mine. Any and all feedback is appreciated and again if anyone has any information to high mileage m3s, or any advice at all it would be greatly appreciated and noted.

And also, tips on which tools to get would also be greatly appreciated as Iím just starting off with this wrenching stuff. I was recommended the following as a ďstarter packĒ:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-227-...-Case/50200795 (frequently goes on-sale for $100 acc. PO)
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Southwire-D...Meter/50081424
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-20-P...r-Set/50158893
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-5-Pi...l-Set/50029422

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...BoCwkwQAvD_BwE

-but what would yíall recommend?

Thanks for the read!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Maintenence Records.jpg (279.7 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg whip side 2.jpg (266.8 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg Parts in trunk.JPG (93.4 KB, 56 views)
Jump to top Geoby0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Apr-19-2018, 07:48:37 AM   #2
Hasan Shaikh

In the garage:

United Arab Emirates

Default Re: Beginner with an M3

Congratulations! Enjoy in good health.
Jump to top Hasan Shaikh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-19-2018, 01:07:56 PM   #3
Richardsperry
95 SC M3

United States

A 20 year old German sports sedan, and a kid going to college.. What could go wrong?

Good luck.

Buy a Bentley Repair Manual.
Old Thu, Apr-19-2018, 03:40:42 PM   #4
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

This thread should have everything you need to get started:
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=300562

Tools:
If there's one thing I regret, it's buying SAE tool (or, really, sets with both). I'd focus on getting Metric only sets. You'll also want torx and inverse torx, working on BMWs.

Beyond that, order parts as you need them.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-19-2018, 03:42:57 PM   #5
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardsperry View Post
A 20 year old German sports sedan, and a kid going to college.. What could go wrong?

Good luck.

Buy a Bentley Repair Manual.
I'd say it's a bad decision, but I'd make the same bad decision in a heartbeat if I were him!

Good call on the Bentley manual.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-19-2018, 08:33:01 PM   #6
Texaz3

United States

Congrats. Lots of work to be done, but if you wrench, then most of the stuff is really DIY. Research the jobs, buy right tools and parts, and dive in.

I would address engine/gearbox first, then cooling/belts, then suspension bits. Then everything else. A lot of the things you mentioned can be done in one go once the the car is up in the air and everything is dropped down. Essentially all the seals, gaskets, bushings, etc.
If you have ALL the parts, thats two solid weekends worth of work though.
Jump to top Texaz3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-20-2018, 01:36:37 AM   #7
avusblu_e36

United States

Have fun man, I did the same thing at a few years older than you. Bought a 95M and had never worked on a car before and just dove right in.

By the second week of ownership I had the whole top of the engine disassembled, slapped on a new cyl head and head gasket, replaced everything in the cooling system, bunch of little things here and there. 10k miles and one year later and the car has never gone past middle heat, never died, never left me stranded. I drive it in New York rain snow and sun : )

Not sure if I missed this, is your car 5mt or auto?
Jump to top avusblu_e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-20-2018, 03:11:46 AM   #8
omairtheman1

United States

I was about the same age when I got into one. Now that I'm older, I still have one. Fantastic cars! Enjoy yours!
Jump to top omairtheman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-24-2018, 04:02:16 AM   #9
Ajcanadian

In the garage:

United States

I'm as the same age as you so I can relate quite a bit. Just finished redoing the head on my 95.

As for parts, buy things on FCP Euro if the price is cheaper than Ecs tuning. One benefit about FCP Euro is they warranty everything. You just need to send the item back. For the sensor, just buy an OE supplier part. Don't buy used parts!

Seems like you are on a good start with maintanace. I'd say upgrade the water pump to a one with a metal one if it still has the plastic one. Don't forget spark plugs. Many say cleaning the MAF doesn't work. I wouldn't touch it unless it's not working like it's supposed to. Get PA BMW soft on your computer or a cheap scanner to pull codes.

I started off with a stanley 123 set tool kit. It paid itself off really quick. I bought a couple of extensions, swivels, torx bits. If you want cheap tools look at harbor freight. That's where I bought my torx bit set for 7.99$. If you end up doing suspension you'd need an impact. But otherwise it's pretty much your basic tools!

Nice ZKWS btw!
Jump to top Ajcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-24-2018, 05:54:58 PM   #10
EY84002

In the garage:

United States

Congrats on the purchase. Well written explanation and outlook. Good luck with it.