BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > M3 Frequently Asked Questions > E36 FAQ
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Old Thu, Nov-04-2004, 05:35:02 PM   #11
95RogueM3
^Needs More Garage Space..

United States

THe problems never were really made public, basically it was just said that making the production kits just right was taking more time than expected.

THe test car (96 m3) is still running well and apparantly is soon to receive a different pulley to increase the boost levels. It hasnt seen any problems whatsoever according to the crew at Eurosport IN Salt Lake CIty.

The second beta car (99 mcoupe) is also running very well even after his One Lap of America entry in which he got first place in his class. Claims temperatures never rise above accepted levels and the power is always there. He also cams (makes 10-20 more hp) and hasnt had any problems with those he has said.

I also saw the picture on the website www.sharked.com which has either the chargers sitting in a box or the manifolds (i dont remember which) but there look to be plenty so its a promising picture.

Hopefully this newest estimate isnt off by much and hopefully its sooner than 4 months...they really dropped the ball in the European Car article in which they said "it should be out by the time you are reading this" which was in mid-february.

The thread on bimmerforums is now just barely over a year old with tons of replies and that is where some updates pop-up now and again.

***If anyone needs any forced induction information regarding current kits or custom kits to be fabricated, dont hesitate to PM me or post here***
-Richard

Jump to top 95RogueM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Nov-04-2004, 07:05:19 PM   #12
Kesepton

What other mods do you suggest ot have before FI though? Like, intake, pulleys, injectors, radiator, intercooler... anything? Or is it a full kit that comes with all the peices
Old Thu, Nov-04-2004, 07:15:39 PM   #13
Kesepton

oh also, are there diffrent superchargers for 95 and 96-99? or, does that not matter?

im not too familiar with what exactly OBD I and OBD II is, i just know they are.

anyone wanna explain?
Old Thu, Nov-04-2004, 11:33:03 PM   #14
97BLKM3COUPE

Reputation: 0 97BLKM3COUPE has a reputation beyond repute97BLKM3COUPE has a reputation beyond repute97BLKM3COUPE has a reputation beyond repute97BLKM3COUPE has a reputation beyond repute97BLKM3COUPE has a reputation beyond repute97BLKM3COUPE has a reputation beyond repute

United States

Well, you probably want a stronger clutch as the stock can't handle too much extra power, so the M5 Clutch and lightweight Flywheel from UUC would be a great upgrade. Possibly better brakes depending on what you plan on doing with the extra power (race, or just have fun on the streets).
Jump to top 97BLKM3COUPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Nov-05-2004, 02:19:48 AM   #15
95RogueM3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesepton
What other mods do you suggest ot have before FI though? Like, intake, pulleys, injectors, radiator, intercooler... anything? Or is it a full kit that comes with all the peices
Well, most of the things you mention will be included in any complete kit, be it supercharger or turbocharger.

An upgraded radiator isnt a bad purchase as cooling is always a big deal and the $600 is money well spent. www.vacmotorsports.com stocks the fluidyne for the e36 (metal radiator with better cooling capacity.)

If you buy a turbo, an intercooler will certainly be included in the package, certain superchargers offer no charge cooling, some offer aftercoolers and some offer intercoolers.

Most F/I kits will include:

-Blower/Turbo
-Piping
-Injectors
-Software
-Intake
(I may have left something out but thats the basic package)

For Turbo kits look to:

www.aatuning.com (stage 1 uses stock compression and gets about 330 rwhp) and stage 2 utilizes a metal headgasket to lower compression to near 8.5:1 (stock is 10.5:1) which allows for more boost to be introduced to the engine without issues. (and anywhere from 380rwhp and up to about 480rwhp or so)

www.techniquetuning.com which offers a kit currently to fit a stock motor with stock compression (similar to the aa stage 1 kit) and makes somewhere around 350rwhp. (there is soon to be introduced a lower compression kit with the boost turned up..though I am not sure how they will lower compression, be it lower compression pistons or a thicker headgasket)

www.boostlogic.com (this kit has yet to be introduced but it is going to be the best "bang for the buck" when it is introduced. They are well known in the Supra business and are planning to have a base kit with somewhere near 400rwhp for somewhere around $8000.)

For Superchargers:

www.sharked.com is the long awaited Twin Screw Supercharger due out hopefully in the next 4 months (as discussed above) which produced 340rwhp off idle...meaning there is very little spooling/lag involved. The kit should be around $7k and runs on a stock compression motor. (this is upgradeable with different pullies but more power would neccesitate lower compression with either a headgasket or pistons...Eurosport says there is capability for over 450rwhp to be had with smaller pullies and lower compression)

www.dinanbmw.com also offers their well known centrifugal supercharger which produces around 290rwhp on a stock compression motor. With some work this can be upgraded as well but there needs to be caution taken to prevent detonation with higher boost. (this kit is probably the most common form of e36 supercharger..though it is expensive by today's new bmw f/i standards (bang for the buck wise))

There are many firms who produce centrifugal superchargers for the m3....this is a supercharger that "needs to be driven" in that it builds boost as the rpms rise and the torque is really only there in the upper-rpm range...so you need to wring it out more that a turbo or Twin Screw in order to feel the power. Such Centrifugal kits include:

www.aatuning.com (280rwhp)
www.racemarque.com (upwards of 360rwhp for the stage2)
www.asatuning.com (not very reputable)

Other upgrades to consider when going forced induction depend greatly upon how much power you will be making and which type of forced induction you pick. I would upgrade the following:

1)Spec stage 2/3 Clutch
2)A custom built (40% lock up, beefier internals) taller/shorter differential depending upon which method of F/I is chosen (www.diffsonline.com)
3)Bigger brakes or at the least upgraded pads to handle the new power. i would rather big brakes as speeds can get hgih fast with forced induction. www.rogueengineering.com has great Brembo pricing. or www.stoptech.com ... different people have different preferences.
4) AA differential support bracket www.aatuning.com
5) Gauges to monitor at the least AFR, Boost, and EGT (exhaust gas temperature)
6) Either a custom 3" turbo exhaust or a regular e36 aftermarket exhaust (I love the Rogue and it flows very well)
7)suspension to handle the increased acceleration as well as squat and dive associated with bigger brakes.

There is lots of preventative or other things that can be done....some may even call my list excessive and say you dont need these things...its up to you. The mandatory mods are:

-Clutch
-Probably the diff support bracket
-Suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesepton
oh also, are there diffrent superchargers for 95 and 96-99? or, does that not matter?
The chargers and kits are primarily the same between obd1 and obd2, the biggest difference being software/tuning. As well the Twin Screw is slightly different between obd1 and obd2 as it replaces the intake manifold which is slightly different between the obd1 and obd2. Most of the hardware for either turbo or supercharger is the same.

hope this helps and clears things up....

-Richard

Last edited by 95RogueM3; Fri, Nov-05-2004 at 02:27:46 AM.
Old Fri, Nov-05-2004, 08:57:09 PM   #16
hottnikkz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95RogueM3
Better bet now is www.techniquetuning.com as his kit produces 350rwhp on 8psi and a totally stock engine with stock compression for $6800..thats about $1500-$2000 off the aa stage 1 kit which produces slightly less power.

-Richard
Agreed, Nice kit, Boris the owner of it lives in my home town i know him, hes going to take me for a ride in it, i will let u know, but from what hes said yes its a great kit.
Jump to top hottnikkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Nov-05-2004, 09:01:34 PM   #17
95RogueM3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottnikkz
Agreed, Nice kit, Boris the owner of it lives in my home town i know him, hes going to take me for a ride in it, i will let u know, but from what hes said yes its a great kit.
IM glad someone read that post..it took awhile to write.

Boris is a great guy as far as I can tell from our conversations... and all the videos he has taken of the car have made it seem very impressive yet still very streetable.

-Richard

Old Fri, Nov-05-2004, 09:34:55 PM   #18
Kesepton

hey, i read it too, thanks for the reply.
Old Thu, Nov-11-2004, 05:18:07 AM   #19
GT Mech Eng

I just registered to thank you for all the excellent information.
Jump to top GT Mech Eng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Nov-11-2004, 05:35:48 AM   #20
95RogueM3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Mech Eng
I just registered to thank you for all the excellent information.
Thanks for posting and welcome to the site.

kesepton. I wasnt saying you were ungrateful..just glad that people were reading my thoughts.

I am happy this can help people with their decisions. Seeing as how I am a college student and work very hard for my car mods, I have exhaustively researched my options for Forced Induction as I want/need the "best bang for the buck" system.

I still cant decide among the 3 options listed above, and it becomes harder as each new firm enters the market.

Centrifugal= Power increases as rpms rise....makes you drive the car and according to most owners with boost gauges, holds boost all the way to redline (this is the feeling that my dad's 996tt has and I love it)...I worry about a turbo running out of breath once you reach 6300+ rpms.

Twin Screw= Power like a v8 with no lag or spool time...seems nice but I dont know about production, pricing, or if I want the all the time power (sounds like the best setup but I almost feel like I want to know I have forced induction and not have a v8) if that makes sense.

Turbo= These always seemed out of my reach but now that I can get a Technique Tuning kit making 350rwhp or an AA kit from www.icsperformance.com making similar power for similar money to the Twin Screw...I am just not sure. I like the turbo as you have room to upgrade to a bigger turbo (power is only limited by your budget and the cars weakest components..ie. subframe, driveshaft..etc). I also kinda like the "pshhh" blow-off sound..call me a R1cer..but I like it. Turbos=big torque as well...something the Twin Screw shares and the Centrifugal catches up with in the higher Rpms.

As a matter of reference I can get a Centrifugal supercharger with a boost bump to 11 psi making roughly 350 rwhp for $6750, the Technique tuning kit for $6800 and the Twin Screw for an estimated $7,000. Granted the Centrifugal would be the cheapest install, followed by the Twin Screw, and then the Turbo...but they wouldnt be drastically different in pricing.

If anyone has more questions, fire away...

*I am hoping to become a F/I moderator...any support would be great*

-Richard