BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006) > Coding and Tuning
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Coding and Tuning Discuss all avenues of coding and tuning here!

Old Wed, Oct-31-2018, 09:18:00 AM   #1
UFoh

United States

Default SMG with a clutch pedal

Hey all, I was wondering if anyone is familiar with the programming involved with an SMG to manual swap? Would it be possible to just put a clutch pedal in the car and replace the SMG pump with a slave cylinder and magically delete all the error codes so it works correctly?

I was thinking if the display still works correctly you could see if it's in gear or not to release the clutch pedal

And maybe also deleting the automatic mode so i don't accidentally gernade the transmission one day
Jump to top UFoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Oct-31-2018, 07:15:27 PM   #2
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: SMG with a clutch pedal

I don't think that's going to work out.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Oct-31-2018, 07:18:27 PM   #3
UFoh

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
I don't think that's going to work out.
Manual swaps are easy. Surely half of one isn't impossible

What kind of wiring goes to the SMG pump? I wonder if you could figure something out to simulate the pump working correctly sort of like those O2 sensor simulators people used to use with decatted cars
Old Thu, Nov-01-2018, 01:29:37 PM   #4
geargrndr
Working for Nefarious Porpoises

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFoh View Post
Manual swaps are easy. Surely half of one isn't impossible

What kind of wiring goes to the SMG pump? I wonder if you could figure something out to simulate the pump working correctly sort of like those O2 sensor simulators people used to use with decatted cars
LOL. are you Spydergod's alternate sign-in? This is just the type of retarded poo he'd throw against the wall.

No. Absolutely not possible. Well, certainly not in the "swaps are easy so this is easy" BS way you're suggesting. (Swaps ain't exactly 'easy' either... There's a shitton of work in a swap... How many 'easy' SMG swaps have you done Mr. EasySwapper? "Procedure is Documented" != Easy...)

Not even sure what you want it to do... You want the SMG computer to shift the gears but not operate the clutch? Why?

Never ever going to work. You'd need to either completely disassemble and custom reengineer the SMG code, radically simplifying it in the process <------ a Titanic project... or...

Likely would be easier to start fresh with a generic microcontroller. However then you'd need to discover the signalling protocols used by the gear switch assembly, and the exact servo signals for operating the shifting rod. Those would take a long time with a network analyzer to sort out. Then if you wanted to keep an anti-money-shift function you'd need to learn CAN protocols and have your device get roadspeed and RPM from the bus... Blah blah blah.

O2 Sims!? Please.

I mean for an EE / Programmer-maker type dude yeah sure I could see it being done. But in the quick hack "errmmm code some stuff out and whack a resistor simulator on some stuff!" way that you mean... No way.
1999 Cherokee Sport 4L (trailer-hitched in-law loaner bomber)

Recently Former...
1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

Jump to top geargrndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Nov-01-2018, 01:49:40 PM   #5
UFoh

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrndr View Post
Procedure is Documented =Easy

I had to slightly edit that for you, but yes!

Also thank you for the information!!
Old Thu, Nov-01-2018, 01:59:39 PM   #6
geargrndr

United States

Oh I see we have a real Jackass on our hands. Yay!

No, an SMG swap is still days of labor. Even if you know exactly what your doing.

Once you've knocked out a couple yourself feel free to declare how "easy" it was. Have fun with the bellhousing swap and/or machining.

I've done coding/wiring support on a handful of em, and have seen or done every part of the process. Coding IS easy, comparatively, but there's a lotta goddamn plain old labor work involved.

Recently Former...

Old Thu, Nov-01-2018, 02:41:42 PM   #7
geargrndr

United States

Deleted post:

Quote:
But I don't want to do a total SMG swap, see title

Have you done an actual manual swap? Like where you have to fabricate your own master cylinder bracket to hold the clutch pedal in place? It's a little more involved than the Fisher Price put a spring in the bellhousing of an already manual transmission method you're familiar with

Why are you getting so aggressive for someone asking a question in the appropriate forum? You're acting like you're a BMW driver, or something
LOL. Somebody probably did some googling and realized I might have actually done a “real” swap.

BTW - generalizing here but that’s what EasySwapper is doing - an SMG swap is actually probably a little more work than a “real” swap, due to the bell housing farting around, vs just dumping a tranny in. Which those of us who actually have worked on both actually know.

If you SMG convert w a full manual tranny instead it’s actually easier for that reason and is essentially exactly the same work as a “real” swap.

Any idea that an SMG conversion is simple cuz the clutch and tranny are sort of there already is pure fiction. All the work is same - new hydraulics , body knock outs, install shifter, blah blah.

Recently Former...

Old Thu, Nov-01-2018, 02:50:21 PM   #8
geargrndr

United States

Oh and any tone of annoyance? Yeah probably guilty. I do have a short fuse / shoulder chip with guys who blaze in and say “BUT ANYTHINFZ PISSIBLE!” And then want to argue semantics about “possible” when we aren’t talking “Elon Musk / Richard Branson project possible” we are talking “pragmatically used BMW owner possible and not insanely ridiculous”. Oh and the tossing the “EASY” out there constantly... yep that’s a hot butto. Ssssssure. Everything is easy. If it’s so easy you’ll be able to sort it out I’m sure. Good luck!

Recently Former...

Old Thu, Nov-01-2018, 05:30:06 PM   #9
Gary Powers
Taking the long way home.

In the garage:

United States

Why would you ever want to do this? The timing of the gear shifts is wholly related to the timing of the clutch release and engagement. Making one manual while leaving the other automated makes no sense to me. I could maybe see doing the reverse of what you are saying and having the clutch release and engagement directly tied to the movement of the shifter (like some manual cars for the disabled have), but your idea is nonsensical to me.
Old Thu, Nov-01-2018, 05:43:55 PM   #10
UFoh

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Powers View Post
Why would you ever want to do this? The timing of the gear shifts is wholly related to the timing of the clutch release and engagement. Making one manual while leaving the other automated makes no sense to me. I could maybe see doing the reverse of what you are saying and having the clutch release and engagement directly tied to the movement of the shifter (like some manual cars for the disabled have), but your idea is nonsensical to me.
Porsche actually made something like that in the 70s, I think it's called sport o matic

You already basically time the throttle with the SMG, what's another pedal