BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sun, Oct-21-2018, 10:29:35 PM   #111
L0ADED

United States

Default Re: Comprehensive CSL Intake Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYEHAVEYOU View Post
Anyone have any tips for getting the throttle body boot clamps on? Having a real tough time with them (the clamp that’s closer to engine side)
Put them on the boot and clipped on the first tab before installing the intake. Clock them so you can easily access them without removing the air rail in the future and snap them in place using a good set of needle nose pliers preferably with teeth if you don't have the special tool. It will take a good amount of force (two hands) to snap them in place.
Jump to top L0ADED is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Oct-21-2018, 10:36:43 PM   #112
TboneM3
YNWA

In the garage:

United States

^ bang on, I'll just add that I like to have straight needle nose and the offset or angled
needle nose pliers too as some situations favor one over the other. I'll even sit in the engine bay (mostly on pass shock tower/top of engine, just to get in a great position to get enough leverage for cyl 5 esp 6.

I prefer the clip to need to come up to snap rather than down, that way the clip's tabs are facing more towards the front of the car - more exposed (3 o'clock instead of 9). You can set this up ahead of time as L0aded said, and snap them on the first level before putting the airbox on.

·Evolve-R Alpha N · Evolve CSL CF Airbox · Eventuri Scoop · Supersprint V1 stepped 63mm · SS V1 S pipe 63mm + 200 cell HFC · OE sect 2 60mm · SS Sport 60mm
·Besian · RE pullies/fan delete · WPC rod bearings · GroundControl S/A (Koni/Eibach 440/550) + tall RSMs · TMS Camber & Subframe plates · SPC Adj alloy rear camber arms
·RE Trans Mounts · AKG poly SUB/DIFF 95a · SDW RTAB · Weighted ///M knob + UUC DSSR + delrin carrier bush · OE CSL trunk · APEX 75mm Studs
·Sportline 8S 18"x8.5/9.5" · MPSS 245/275 · Brembo 996 36/40 345mm CSL Textar FF & 28/30 328mm CSL ATE "D738" FF · CM brackets & ss/teflon lines
·Pioneer DEH-80PRS · Eclipse PA5422 · CDT HD-6 + WS-100i · CDT EX-530 · 8" Kicker

DD/Beater: 1999 Civic LX - Kenwood x998 · PPI 1600.4 · CDT HD-6 + HD-100 · CDT EX-530 · DVC 10"
Jump to top TboneM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Oct-22-2018, 04:04:51 AM   #113
EYEHAVEYOU
Simon

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ADED View Post
Put them on the boot and clipped on the first tab before installing the intake. Clock them so you can easily access them without removing the air rail in the future and snap them in place using a good set of needle nose pliers preferably with teeth if you don't have the special tool. It will take a good amount of force (two hands) to snap them in place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneM3 View Post
^ bang on, I'll just add that I like to have straight needle nose and the offset or angled
needle nose pliers too as some situations favor one over the other. I'll even sit in the engine bay (mostly on pass shock tower/top of engine, just to get in a great position to get enough leverage for cyl 5 esp 6.

I prefer the clip to need to come up to snap rather than down, that way the clip's tabs are facing more towards the front of the car - more exposed (3 o'clock instead of 9). You can set this up ahead of time as L0aded said, and snap them on the first level before putting the airbox on.
Thanks for the tips guys, I eventually got it with this in mind - using very large/long pliers made the job much easier too, just by virtue of having more leverage. This video proved useful

For anyone else tackling this I would suggest getting some worm-gear clamps as they should be much easier to use, just make sure they are 10mm or smaller width or else they won't fit on the rubber boot.

2006 M3 ZCP 6MT - Interlagos Blue /// Imola Red
2005 M3 ZCP 6MT - Alpine White /// Imola Red (Gone)
Jump to top EYEHAVEYOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Oct-22-2018, 04:05:36 AM   #114
EYEHAVEYOU
Simon

In the garage:

United States

One more question though - for those who went IAT/MAP, what did you do with your MAF? Mine's just hanging free in the engine bay now, I wonder if I should zip tie it off somewhere? Any other ideas?

Old Mon, Oct-22-2018, 04:56:50 AM   #115
L0ADED

United States

Quote:
One more question though - for those who went IAT/MAP, what did you do with your MAF? Mine's just hanging free in the engine bay now, I wonder if I should zip tie it off somewhere? Any other ideas?
Used a broken MAF to make a plug and play adapter for the IAT.
Old Mon, Oct-22-2018, 08:42:38 AM   #116
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Quote:

For anyone else tackling this I would suggest getting some worm-gear clamps as they should be much easier to use, just make sure they are 10mm or smaller width or else they won't fit on the rubber boot.
Or just buy the proper tool. Makes getting them on/off a 5 minute job.

Old Mon, Oct-22-2018, 12:47:08 PM   #117
HassanEido

In the garage:

Lebanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post

Amazon.com: Lisle 30500 CV Boot Clamp Plier: Automotive
Oe clamps look much cleaner and seal better. Having said that, I got worm clamps.Should be changing that soon

Mods:
-Custom CF airbox
-SSV2 catless headers(with a modified collector extention), Custom 2.5" dual sec1, Custom sec2 2.5" dual with e9xM X pipe, SuperSprint Race inspired custom section 3..
-Cat Cams 280 272.
-Custom dyno tune
-Tms pulleys and electric fan conversion
368.4 whp 289.1 wtq

Custom exhaust thread and dyno http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=569086
Cams thread and dyno http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=554439
Custom cf airbox thread http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=595180
Why not to use after market bearings with surfacetreatments and /or increased clearance
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showp...4&postcount=10

Last edited by HassanEido; Mon, Oct-22-2018 at 12:52:16 PM.
Jump to top HassanEido is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Oct-22-2018, 02:51:10 PM   #118
EYEHAVEYOU
Simon

In the garage:

United States

Another question for the gurus here. I haven't properly attached my OEM snorkel to the Karbonius box yet, looks like there are 4 attachment points.

On RealOEM here it says I need 4 x Fillister head with washer (PN 07119901780), but when I was looking at the snorkel/airbox I kind of figured it would need a nut or something on the airbox side. Does anyone know if this is truly all I need?

Quote:

Well that explains my problem, based on videos I thought needle nose pliers were the proper tool Will definitely pick some of these up for future projects with these kind of clamps

Last edited by EYEHAVEYOU; Mon, Oct-22-2018 at 03:01:49 PM.
Old Mon, Oct-22-2018, 03:49:27 PM   #119
L0ADED

United States

Quote:
Another question for the gurus here. I haven't properly attached my OEM snorkel to the Karbonius box yet, looks like there are 4 attachment points.

On RealOEM here it says I need 4 x Fillister head with washer (PN 07119901780), but when I was looking at the snorkel/airbox I kind of figured it would need a nut or something on the airbox side. Does anyone know if this is truly all I need?

Well that explains my problem, based on videos I thought needle nose pliers were the proper tool Will definitely pick some of these up for future projects with these kind of clamps
The flange on the OE intake has threaded holes to accept those Fillister screws. With the Karb box, a black cap acorn hex nut would work well with the OE Fillister screws to keep it looking clean. I forget the size of those OE Fillister screws though.

Old Mon, Oct-22-2018, 04:40:15 PM   #120
ATB88

United States

Quote:

It's true that it is a lot easier with this tool, but the cyl 5/6 clamps still usually take me 30+ minutes and a ton of swearing to get on even with the damn tool. If it took me 5 minutes I feel like I'd be obsessively cleaning my ITBs every couple months :P
Jump to top ATB88 is offline   Reply With Quote