BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Oct-16-2018, 06:41:50 AM   #51
demolitionskunk

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Learned something new (to me) about our subframes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdubski View Post
To support OP's experience. Two local and highly regarded race shops dealing almost exclusively with e46 and e36 M3's have both told me the bushing is a major cause to the mounting point failure. Both of these shops said plates and solid bushings would alleviate almost any chance of failure on a street car.

With that said, powerflex offers a "hybrid" harder front bushing on their street subframe bushing set. They do this because soft bushings allow too much movement that contributes to subframe failure.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Good to know my shop wasn't the only one to say this. I'll definitely get the bushings upgraded in the near future.
Jump to top demolitionskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Oct-16-2018, 04:18:10 PM   #52
m3streak

Canada

I was wondering about the affect of the metal plates on their own vs the structural foam. The structural foam distributes the forces over the cavity and the I-beam type structure traversing from one rear mount to the other. (when you inject you can feel the heat of the reaction travels towards the centre of the car several inches). The plates alone would strengthen the lower sheet metal but wouldn't it then put more load on the upper metal structure where the tie in bolt meets the sheet metal, and wouldn't it allow for lateral shifts between the upper and lower sheet plates eventually leading to a tear in the trunk area above the mounts? The foam would not allow the lateral movement and forms a sandwich that forces the two layers to act as one. Is it not the plates leading to later problems within the trunk? I would think foam alone is the better solution if you don't have pre-existing cracks to the naked eye once the area is cleaned up.
Jump to top m3streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Oct-16-2018, 04:34:24 PM   #53
nasieg

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3streak View Post
I was wondering about the affect of the metal plates on their own vs the structural foam. The structural foam distributes the forces over the cavity and the I-beam type structure traversing from one rear mount to the other. (when you inject you can feel the heat of the reaction travels towards the centre of the car several inches). The plates alone would strengthen the lower sheet metal but wouldn't it then put more load on the upper metal structure where the tie in bolt meets the sheet metal, and wouldn't it allow for lateral shifts between the upper and lower sheet plates eventually leading to a tear in the trunk area above the mounts? The foam would not allow the lateral movement and forms a sandwich that forces the two layers to act as one. Is it not the plates leading to later problems within the trunk? I would think foam alone is the better solution if you don't have pre-existing cracks to the naked eye once the area is cleaned up.

For me the structural foam made a lot more sense. I measured the flex with an indicator and a camera on the trunk floor and it flexed like crazy during hard acceleration. This is on a car with no cracks. So to bond the RACP and the trunk floor together and create a thicker beam seems like a good way to strengthen the area. The plates just move the problem further out if you ask me. I'm sure it is a little better, but in the end will lead to the same result.

I can't back this up with numbers, but I have read of cars with plates still failing, but I have yet to hear about a car with structural foam injected (early in its life) do so.

My Journal

Besian VANOS, Euro Headers & Section1, TTFS tune, TMS under-dive pulleys, TC Kline S/A Coil Overs, Brembo 996 Calipers, ECS 2 Piece Rotors, Sportline CS8's, SG CSL Diffuser, OEM CSL Trunk
Jump to top nasieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Oct-16-2018, 04:38:13 PM   #54
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

I think foam + plates is a pretty good solution, but I was under the impression that the foam did not address the front mounts at all
Old Tue, Oct-16-2018, 04:41:29 PM   #55
SQ13

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
I think foam + plates is a pretty good solution, but I was under the impression that the foam did not address the front mounts at all
So maybe a good strategy could be to foam + add front reinforcement cups?
Old Tue, Oct-16-2018, 04:44:35 PM   #56
nasieg

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post

True, but you can inject foam in that area also.

Just to add to my previous theory. I am not claiming that the foam with our without plates is as strong as the welded in bars, but I believe it reduces the flex to the point where there will be catastrophic metal fatigue.

My Journal

Besian VANOS, Euro Headers & Section1, TTFS tune, TMS under-dive pulleys, TC Kline S/A Coil Overs, Brembo 996 Calipers, ECS 2 Piece Rotors, Sportline CS8's, SG CSL Diffuser, OEM CSL Trunk
Jump to top nasieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Oct-16-2018, 05:07:46 PM   #57
HassanEido

In the garage:

Lebanon

Brace and plates >all

Mods:
-Custom CF airbox
-SSV2 catless headers(with a modified collector extention), Custom 2.5" dual sec1, Custom sec2 2.5" dual with e9xM X pipe, SuperSprint Race inspired custom section 3..
-Cat Cams 280 272.
-Custom dyno tune
-Tms pulleys and electric fan conversion
368.4 whp 289.1 wtq

Custom exhaust thread and dyno http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=569086
Cams thread and dyno http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=554439
Custom cf airbox thread http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=595180
Why not to use after market bearings with surfacetreatments and /or increased clearance
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showp...4&postcount=10
Jump to top HassanEido is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Oct-16-2018, 06:28:54 PM   #58
Dirty Elf
BSME

In the garage:

United States

what sort of drilling is required to install the rear brace? I have the reddish plates but would like to add the brace to 'bulletproof' once and for all. Do I need to drop the subframe again to install the brace?

2004 Silver-Grey ///M3 Coupe
Jump to top Dirty Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Oct-16-2018, 06:32:18 PM   #59
TboneM3
YNWA

In the garage:

United States

No, you drill up through the rear subframe mounts.

·Evolve-R Alpha N · Evolve CSL CF Airbox · Eventuri Scoop · Supersprint V1 stepped 63mm · SS V1 S pipe 63mm + 200 cell HFC · OE sect 2 60mm · SS Sport 60mm
·Besian · RE pullies/fan delete · WPC rod bearings · GroundControl S/A (Koni/Eibach 440/550) + tall RSMs · TMS Camber & Subframe plates · SPC Adj alloy rear camber arms
·RE Trans Mounts · AKG poly SUB/DIFF 95a · SDW RTAB · Weighted ///M knob + UUC DSSR + delrin carrier bush · OE CSL trunk · APEX 75mm Studs
·Sportline 8S 18"x8.5/9.5" · MPSS 245/275 · Brembo 996 36/40 345mm CSL Textar FF & 28/30 328mm CSL ATE "D738" FF · CM brackets & ss/teflon lines
·Pioneer DEH-80PRS · Eclipse PA5422 · CDT HD-6 + WS-100i · CDT EX-530 · 8" Kicker

DD/Beater: 1999 Civic LX - Kenwood x998 · PPI 1600.4 · CDT HD-6 + HD-100 · CDT EX-530 · DVC 10"
Jump to top TboneM3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Oct-16-2018, 06:36:30 PM   #60
Dirty Elf
BSME

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneM3 View Post
No, you drill up through the rear subframe mounts.
Up seems to imply from underneath, but you mean all that is needed is to drill down from inside the trunk/rear seat right? How does the brace attach to the mount? Is it threaded already or do I need to get underneath the car with a nut or something?

2004 Silver-Grey ///M3 Coupe
Jump to top Dirty Elf is offline   Reply With Quote