BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Oct-16-2018, 03:32:03 PM   #381
Paulo M

United States

Default Re: BMW upset with E46 M3 enthusiasts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
And all e46 M3 owners are stance bros that slam their cars and wear flat-brimmed hats.

You know that's the reputation our cars have outside of enthusiast forums, right? Stereotypes exist for a reason, sure.. but let's not assume they're all the same
My post was to highlight just that, not sure where youíre getting at. Canít judge an owner just bcs they drive a Ferrari and not a Porsche, and vice versa.
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Oct-16-2018, 03:33:13 PM   #382
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo M View Post
My post was to highlight just that, not sure where youíre getting at. Canít judge an owner just bcs they drive a Ferrari and not a Porsche, and vice versa.
Ah, my bad - read it the other way around
Jump to top Drewster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Oct-16-2018, 03:39:03 PM   #383
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
And all e46 M3 owners are stance bros that slam their cars and wear flat-brimmed hats.

You know that's the reputation our cars have outside of enthusiast forums, right? Stereotypes exist for a reason, sure.. but let's not assume they're all the same
I actually feel like the e46 M3 reputation has been turning around in the last 1-3 years?

I can't remember the last time I took mine out and someone didn't make a point of coming over and talking to me about it, giving a thumbs up, taking pictures, asking how much I'd sell it for, etc. People of all demographics, too.

10-15 years ago it was middle fingers everywhere I went. I don't think my driving style has changed

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Oct-16-2018, 03:39:08 PM   #384
evil panda

United States

my E46 M3 actually came with a flat brimmed hat in the trunk. true story.

it's a nice BMW Motorsport hat in the M colors so i've started wearing it.
Jump to top evil panda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Oct-16-2018, 03:45:09 PM   #385
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
I actually feel like the e46 M3 reputation has been turning around in the last 1-3 years?

I can't remember the last time I took mine out and someone didn't make a point of coming over and talking to me about it, giving a thumbs up, taking pictures, asking how much I'd sell it for, etc. People of all demographics, too.

10-15 years ago it was middle fingers everywhere I went. I don't think my driving style has changed
I've noticed the same thing, but I always assumed it was more due to my age (was 16 when I had my ZHP, 19 when I first got my M3).
Old Tue, Oct-16-2018, 03:47:55 PM   #386
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

Quote:

It definitely has in real life - my personal speculation is that they've transitioned from "rich d-bag car" to "brave automotive enthusiast keeping that old German performance car running" ..but who knows. I've personally seen thumbs up (especially from other M3 drivers), and kids shouting for me to "go fast", where most of the hate is in the Jalopnik comment section.. but what don't they hate?
Jump to top Drewster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Oct-16-2018, 03:57:33 PM   #387
EYEHAVEYOU
Simon

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
If I wasn't too tall to fit in it, the NSX would be the perfect car for me.
Get a targa version and remove the top, problem solved

2006 M3 ZCP 6MT - Interlagos Blue /// Imola Red
2005 M3 ZCP 6MT - Alpine White /// Imola Red (Gone)
Jump to top EYEHAVEYOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Oct-16-2018, 03:59:08 PM   #388
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYEHAVEYOU View Post
I imagine the end result would be something like this:

Old Tue, Oct-16-2018, 04:02:11 PM   #389
PenguinScotty

Austria

Quote:
Originally Posted by M spec View Post
The f8x M3/4 is vastly superior to a E46/M. Also to note, the E46 while exciting to drive, is far from the most "feeling" car that BMW made or is out there in general.

Why this guy is listening to small camp of enthusiasts who cant drive quicker than the E46 permits is beyond me. The chassis feel and high baseline speed that the F80 has is incredible to drive and push to the limits of your inner "true driver" whether its DCT (better in every way) or manual.

That said, I enjoy the E46 as an auto and BMW enthusiast, as the only factor holding me back from a F80 is the deprecation they still have. In 2-3 years they'll be fantastic buys, just like the E92's are currently.
Since i've never owned a new car and i greatly enjoy wrenching on my own cars, my biggest worries nowadays, especially with the F8x cars, is the technology in it. The E46 M3 is barely on the edge for me regarding this, with annoying programming things, drive by wire throttle, etc..
Friend of my owns a M4, pre face-lift, manual. Pretty car, stupid fast, yet i would never own it without a warranty. The Lithium battery went flat in about 1-2 weeks because the car is, effectively, constantly online. A new one from BMW seems to run about 1300 Euros. The ceramic discs had a chip. Luckily, not bad enough to warrant replacement, yet seems to simply be a question of time, with that cost scaring the poop out of me, honestly.
Retrofitting the LCI taillights requires coding, as it does for the E46 M3s LED lights, which is another thing that i despise.

Aside from these things that came up, stuff that undoubtedly will be an issue down the road, are things like the Direct Injection as well as the intercoolers/piping. Stuff like the crank-pulley already is being addressed and is, arguably, less of a pain, and cheaper, than the E46s Subframe, VANOS and Rod Bearing issues.

Whereas the serviceability of the E46 M3 is actually REALLY good, aside from the crap that was added for the US market, looking at the S55 gives me absolute nightmares. It reminds me of changing spark-plugs on the N55, which takes close to an hour. Nightmares of coked intake valves, engine sucking in water due to a broken intercooler/piping, of crevices inaccessible to normal human hands, requiring me to use child-labor or tear the entire front of a car apart, similar to Audis, get conjured up.

For me, these cars, as stupendously fast and comfortable and whatever else they may be, are just not realistic in the long-term. If we think that the maintenance on the E46s are bad, i'd say wait 10 more years for current cars to reach their peak of reliability atrocity

Never thought i'd turn into one of those "Old guy yells at cloud" people, but damn!

'98 E36 M3 Evo - Techno Violet, '02 E46 M3 - Titansilber, '05 E46 M3 - Titansilber
Jump to top PenguinScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Oct-16-2018, 04:06:49 PM   #390
TheSt|G
Resident Curmudgeon

In the garage:

Isle of Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil panda View Post
my E46 M3 actually came with a flat brimmed hat in the trunk. true story.

it's a nice BMW Motorsport hat in the M colors so i've started wearing it.
Friend of mine who bought a W204 C63 AMG had a bottle of Muscle Milk and tub of hair gel shoot out from under the driver's seat the first time he used the brakes hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
I've noticed the same thing, but I always assumed it was more due to my age (was 16 when I had my ZHP, 19 when I first got my M3).
Likewise. I don't get nearly the amount of angry flailing people anymore. I miss intentionally misinterpreting them and waving back like I knew them in a friendly fashion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYEHAVEYOU View Post
Nothing better than staring directly at the top of a windshield cowl as you go down the road while waiting for an accident to cave your head in.
911 Journal/Build Thread
Sold - '03 Lemans on Lemans E39 M5 6MT
Sold - '99 Kosmos-Schwarzes E36 5MT M3 Coupe
Jump to top TheSt|G is offline   Reply With Quote