BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Wed, Oct-24-2018, 05:42:45 PM   #31
frbz

Default Re: Holy Hagerty Values!

The car at
https://lbilimited.com/offerings/1996-bmw-m3-coupe/
does not have the interior it was born with and that steering wheel does not look like it is equipped with an airbag. Wrong shift knob and newer style floor mats without the screw in anchors. Wonder if all that would hurt its value for an investor?
Jump to top frbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Oct-24-2018, 06:27:47 PM   #32
SIDEWAYS
is the way to carve canyons...

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renewingmind View Post
When I bought my M3, one of the other cars I looked at was a 2007 335i. The 335i was faster than the M3 in every measurable way, but no more fun to drive. As I considered the two, I looked at the salesman and said "In ten years this will be an old BMW, but that will be an M3 and actually worth something"

It's nice to see that finally happening...
Not sure I agree with this, particularly when it comes to lap times at Streets of Willow. Way back when those E90/92 335is first came out, I had one in my advanced run group; I think other than it being lowered, it was pretty much stock (maybe also a highly irritating blow-off valve?). I took it to school all day long, besting its lap time by well over 7 seconds (which at that track is the equivalent of about 15 car lengths).

One of the last remaining members of the E36 M3 original owners club...a dying breed indeed.

What's worse is that the E36 M3 has sadly become the new Honda Civic of tuning...
Jump to top SIDEWAYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Oct-24-2018, 06:40:14 PM   #33
Earthwormjlm
Imolarot M3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by frbz View Post
The car at
does not have the interior it was born with and that steering wheel does not look like it is equipped with an airbag. Wrong shift knob and newer style floor mats without the screw in anchors. Wonder if all that would hurt its value for an investor?
Check out the backs of the seats too. That is not a $45k example, that is a Good condition car, but not excellent.
Jump to top Earthwormjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Oct-24-2018, 06:47:17 PM   #34
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIDEWAYS View Post
Not sure I agree with this, particularly when it comes to lap times at Streets of Willow. Way back when those E90/92 335is first came out, I had one in my advanced run group; I think other than it being lowered, it was pretty much stock (maybe also a highly irritating blow-off valve?). I took it to school all day long, besting its lap time by well over 7 seconds (which at that track is the equivalent of about 15 car lengths).
Completely irrelevant.

Last month at Leguna Seca, in a nearly stock e46 m3 that wasn't mine (so I was taking it a bit easy), I passed...
-c7 zr1
-gt3 RS 4.0
-991 gt3
-f80 m3
-c7 z06
-McLaren 650s
-lambo superperformente
-amg gts
-gt4

With 100% confidence, every one of those cars was significantly faster than the one I was driving, and I'm not an amazing driver... and it was my first time ever at leguna seca.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car

Last edited by Obioban; Wed, Oct-24-2018 at 08:21:22 PM.
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Oct-24-2018, 08:45:38 PM   #35
EY84002

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher448 View Post
Last week I passed by a local exotic car dealer that had a blue M3 in the center of the showroom, surrounded by old Alfas and air-cooled Porsches. Looked it up later and saw they were asking $45k. Whether anyone will buy it at that price idk. For the money I'd rather get a driver quality car + an S54 swap

"Passed by"? LBI is in a warehouse without windows or a sign and pretty much by appointment only.

I saw this car in the flesh 2 weeks ago...granted it is not the original interior, shift knob, or steering wheel (all considered upgrades by most everyone who knows these cars) but it is insanely clean. I don't say that lightly, as I have an eye for detail. Randomly pick 100 E36 M3's...this would be the nicest one or two in any batch all things considered.

I agree that I'd spend my hypothetical $45k on something different, but disagree that a driver quality car w/ an S54 would be a suitable alternative...unless it's Braymond's but his is better than driver quality.
Old Wed, Oct-24-2018, 10:24:23 PM   #36
Nate047

In the garage:

United States

I think a lot of E36 owners believe their cars are more valuable than they actually are to the rest of the world. I dunno if narcissism is the word I'm looking for...?

I'm not talking about the really nice, truly clean cars. I'm talking about the "fair" and "good" cars that are being priced as if they were "excellent," which make up a good deal of the current listings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIDEWAYS View Post
That's the driver being slow.
Old Thu, Oct-25-2018, 12:14:56 AM   #37
SIDEWAYS
is the way to carve canyons...

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Completely irrelevant.

Last month at Leguna Seca, in a nearly stock e46 m3 that wasn't mine (so I was taking it a bit easy), I passed...
-c7 zr1
-gt3 RS 4.0
-991 gt3
-f80 m3
-c7 z06
-McLaren 650s
-lambo superperformente
-amg gts
-gt4

With 100% confidence, every one of those cars was significantly faster than the one I was driving, and I'm not an amazing driver... and it was my first time ever at leguna seca.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate047 View Post
That's the driver being slow.
While driver factor is certainly a valid point, I'm still convinced that if you take a stock E36 M3 and a stock E90/92 335i at a technical track like Streets, each driven by the same driver, the E36 M3 would emerge as the victor by a fairly large margin. I've driven the 335i, and while it's got tons of power and torque, it is far too softly sprung, steering too vague, turn-in slow(er), and not as quick to slow down/stop...in other words, it's just not ideally dialed in for track work. Anyway, moving on...

One of the last remaining members of the E36 M3 original owners club...a dying breed indeed.

What's worse is that the E36 M3 has sadly become the new Honda Civic of tuning...
Jump to top SIDEWAYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-25-2018, 12:34:23 AM   #38
westopher

Canada

Its also ugly.

98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 106k and officially worthless. 2000 323i touring, silver/grey/sport pack, 170k and officially boring.
Member journal. http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=491859
Jump to top westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-25-2018, 12:42:05 AM   #39
cypher448

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by EY84002 View Post
"Passed by"? LBI is in a warehouse without windows or a sign and pretty much by appointment only.

I saw this car in the flesh 2 weeks ago...granted it is not the original interior, shift knob, or steering wheel (all considered upgrades by most everyone who knows these cars) but it is insanely clean. I don't say that lightly, as I have an eye for detail. Randomly pick 100 E36 M3's...this would be the nicest one or two in any batch all things considered.
Hmm ok then this might've been a different car than the one I linked. I was driving past LBI's showroom in Pontiac, Michigan and saw either an avus or estoril through the windows, but I didn't get a great look. I did think it was nice for an E36M to be parked amongst some other venerated classics. So I went home and looked up LBI's inventory but only saw that one estoril blue E36 on their website.
Jump to top cypher448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Oct-27-2018, 02:49:43 PM   #40
JJCTHE1

In the garage:

United States

Nice to see these climbing up, but I am not surprised. Anyone who has tried to buy a used one in the past 24 months knows how hard it is to find a nice car. I also like how it does not group these into mileage categories, as mileage can be so deceiving.

I crossed plenty of sub 100k cars that had no records, old junky mods, worn interiors and obvious signs of neglect.