BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Thu, Nov-08-2018, 07:28:20 PM   #11
abcurran

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Is this a good deal? 97 M3/4/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3AN View Post
Have they removed some of the pictures in the last few hours, there are no engine bay or interior pics now, only 9 external ones...
There's a link to a google drive folder with interior and engine pics in the ad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by from the CL ad
Old Thu, Nov-08-2018, 07:55:30 PM   #12
cblock

In the garage:

United States

I would take a hard look at this one if I was in the market for a sedan right now.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=602391

Jump to top cblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Nov-09-2018, 09:28:23 AM   #13
vdude

United States

I was actually interested in this car as well but had concerns about the trunk alignment and some of the other items referenced by other members.

Let us know what you find out and if you decide to move forward with this.
Old Fri, Nov-09-2018, 04:24:56 PM   #14
abcurran

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtheilbrun View Post
Thanks for the info, I've looked over those pictures several times and missed a few of the things you caught. The trunk alignment does concern me a bit. There was rear window damage reported on the carfax but it says not from a collision so not sure what to think of that. He has the stock airbox so the CAI shouldn't be a problem. I'll definitely take a close look around the bumpers to make sure there is no other damage.
If there a receipt for the rear window replacement, that could explain the gap at the trunk and quarter. I haven't had to replace my rear window, so I'm speculating, but I'd bet the glass can be removed with the trunk lid in place. Although, I'm sure its a whole lot easier to remove the trunk to replace the glass.

Why was the glass replaced? Things fall; the defroster could have stopped working; vandalism; etc... If the trunk has its VIN tag, I wouldn't worry so much.

I would, though, be certain to look for the VIN tag on the driver's rear quarter panel. There's conflicting info about where it's located. Some say its under the window seal in the water channel next to the rear glass. But I recall that it might also be on the underside of the quarter panel between the panel and bumper - kind of in the location of the gas filler cover would be.

Missing VIN tags on the bumpers don't bother me. Maybe it would if I was spending $25K+ on a pristine, original garage queen, but the bumpers take so much abuse, such that a replacement on a sub-$15K driver shouldn't bother you.

Similarly, and this is where some might differ, but I wouldn't consider a missing VIN tag on a front fender much of a concern, either. They're thin and dent easily and have so many angles and contours that it's advisable to replace rather than repair with body filler.

But if you have a missing tag on two pieces, fender and door, or fender and hood, that's indicative of a bigger hit. And even then, if the replacement panels have DOT-R, it's usually indicative of a quality repair using OEM parts. (I think DOT-R panels are only sourced through a dealer.)
Old Sat, Nov-10-2018, 12:48:34 AM   #15
jtheilbrun

United States

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I've decided to pass on the car. More so to do with some personal things coming up since putting down the deposit than anything with the car. My original plan was to fly out and pick it up but I won't be able to do that for a while so I wasn't as comfortable with shipping it and being able to see it in person before buying.

If anyone that see this is interested, the seller was very good to work with. Sent any pictures and videos I asked for and was very forthcoming with information. I wouldn't hesitate to pursue the car if I was in a better place at the moment.
Jump to top jtheilbrun is offline   Reply With Quote