BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > M3 Track: Racing and DE
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

M3 Track: Racing and DE Best mod for speed is learning to get the most out of what you currently have. Tracks and DE's is the place to start!

Old Tue, Mar-25-2008, 04:06:48 AM   #1
LightWerkz
Automotive Lighting Innovations

United States

Default Transporting Track Wheels

Heres my dilema:

I want the best auto-cross tires, but as you know its not a good idea at all to drive to the event on them. Ive driven on the falken azenis rt615's before and loved them, but want something even more dedicated....I have just enough space to store the wheels in my garage, so changing wheels in the garage isnt a problem. Either way I will be needing to change my wheels to auto-cross wheels, so I figure why not go all out.

So how do you guys do it?

Are you fitting 4 265/275's in the rear seats? Is that even possible?

In the trunk I need to fit the jack, some tools, helmet, and other track/auto-x necessities, so I fiure if anything, you people are throwing the wheels in the rear seats. I rather not scuff up or damage anything though

Let me hear your thoughts!

2001 BMW M5 - Alpine White on Caramel
Jump to top LightWerkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Mar-25-2008, 04:34:19 AM   #2
Antroiny
(\OO\ (||)(||) /OO/)

Before I gutted my car, I bought some tire totes and put three wheels and tires in the back seat (usually I would fold it down and stack them on their side so they wouldn't move), one in the front passenger seat, and my jack, track equipment box, and folding chairs in the trunk. With the rear seats folded down, I was once able to get all four wheels and tires back there standing up, but it was a very tight fit and they would roll back and forth between the rear shelf and front seats.

Now that I don't have the back seat as a storage option (the roll bar and fixed seats don't allow for me to put anything bigger than a helmet in the back), I have a roof rack and Thule box for three wheels and tires and folding chairs, the fourth in the front passenger seat still, and the track equipment box still in the trunk.
Old Tue, Mar-25-2008, 04:38:06 AM   #3
silber

United States

I am able to fit four 18x9.5 SSR Comps on 265/35 BFG R1's in the back of my car without a problem and I have a Kirk rollbar and fixed back seats. I should mention that my interior is pretty much gutted. I was a bit concerned with making it all fit, but I'm able to get my tires, jack, necessary tools, bags, and anything else I need in without having to use the passenger seat. Using a rack/tire trailer is unnecessary.

EDIT: I should mention that all tires must be loaded in through the trunk in my setup. Obviously with the fixed back seats and diagonal cross bar loading the tires from the driver/passenger side door would be impossible.
Jump to top silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-25-2008, 04:47:18 AM   #4
vndkshn
Goin' crazy... wanna come?

United States

All four 275s in the rear seat area. Just put the seat backs down and in they go.
Performance Mods: D/A Race Software, D/A VAC Lightweight UnderDrive Pulleys, Streamline Panel, Ceramic Coated Stainless headers, Race-cats, B&B Tri-Flow, Motons, Vorshlag plates, GC Adj. Rear Camber Arms, GC Race Hybrid FCAB, Powerflex RTABs, H-Sport Sways, GC adjustable endlinks, GSP Clutch Pedal, 40% Autosolutions SSK, Rogue Trans Mounts, PFC WC/GAC front brake kit, PFC-01s for the track.

Click Here for nightmare ECS story. - LOL, it was deleted, guess it shows the sponsors can get away with anything here.
Jump to top vndkshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-25-2008, 01:00:47 PM   #5
oh2fly

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by vndkshn View Post
All four 275s in the rear seat area. Just put the seat backs down and in they go.
I never thought to put the seat backs down. I just line my 275/35/18s across the seat with no problems, except that I have to drive with my seat just a little forward of where I'd want to? I think I try putting the seat back down next week.

BTW, do you line them up or stack them with the seat back down? It would seen like a hazard if they were stacked.
Jump to top oh2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Mar-27-2008, 11:16:00 PM   #6
king-rb
dammmmmmmmit!

Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh2fly View Post
I never thought to put the seat backs down. I just line my 275/35/18s across the seat with no problems, except that I have to drive with my seat just a little forward of where I'd want to? I think I try putting the seat back down next week.

BTW, do you line them up or stack them with the seat back down? It would seen like a hazard if they were stacked.
I was thinking the same thing, so when i stacked my rims on the folded down rear seat I pulled the rear seatbealts throught the tire tote handles and attached them to each other in the middle with a small toe strap type device. that way if i was in a car accident, heaven forbid, they wouldn't bounce around inside the car and knock my head off!
Old Tue, Mar-25-2008, 04:50:38 AM   #7
LightWerkz
Automotive Lighting Innovations

United States

Ah, great news guys

Looks like the night before I will just prep the car and wake up in the morning and go to the event

2001 BMW M5 - Alpine White on Caramel
Jump to top LightWerkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-25-2008, 01:34:29 PM   #8
silber

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightWerkz View Post
Ah, great news guys

Looks like the night before I will just prep the car and wake up in the morning and go to the event
You'll be fine. Just get some tire totes to protect your interior.
Jump to top silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-25-2008, 01:41:02 PM   #9
BAV_M_PWR

Reputation: 0 BAV_M_PWR has a reputation beyond reputeBAV_M_PWR has a reputation beyond reputeBAV_M_PWR has a reputation beyond repute

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenwc View Post
You'll be fine. Just get some tire totes to protect your interior.
+1 on the totes

Quote:
Originally Posted by //Ali View Post
What's lesson #2, oh Lord of Ridiculous Posts
Jump to top BAV_M_PWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-25-2008, 03:23:15 PM   #10
Cheeze

United States

Giant plastic trash bags work just as well. You can put one in the trunk and 3 in the back seat (one behind you so you can still adjust the seat how you like it). In the e36 I can put one of them in place of the spare tire, another in the trunk, and then two in the back seat. I somehow manage to fit 4 wheels tires plus camping equipment plus all track related tools, jacks, jackstands, helmet, etc for my track events in the e36. I even took a friend with me to one so he was in the passenger seat and had a bag of his own. That was a tight squeeze.
Jump to top Cheeze is offline   Reply With Quote