BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > M3 Track: Racing and DE
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

M3 Track: Racing and DE Best mod for speed is learning to get the most out of what you currently have. Tracks and DE's is the place to start!

Old Wed, Sep-13-2017, 02:26:11 PM   #11
bigjae1976

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Before you buy reclining seats for the track...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
I'd be willing to bet they're some variant of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-X-UNIVERSA...8AAOSwgQ9V39FX

OEM seats are fine for track days, but if you do upgrade, keep in mind that any seat that's remotely safe is going to cost about $600 each. If someone says they can sell you two at that price, and they aren't used, just keep searching

Makes sense. Still wouldn't use a non-OE recliner. I guess you could install a back brace if you have a roll bar/cage but then why even bother with a recliner?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Sep-13-2017, 02:30:35 PM   #12
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Makes sense. Still wouldn't use a non-OE recliner. I guess you could install a back brace if you have a roll bar/cage but then why even bother with a recliner?

For straight-up track use, definitely - that and if you had a back brace on crappy Chinese e-bay seats, I'd be worried about ripping through the middle of the seat and making contact with the human.

For a 90% daily, a lot of people go with Recaro Sportster CS seats, which I'd be pretty confident about holding up equally well to stock. For one, they're $1,000+ each, and for another, Recaro = Johnson Controls = manufacturer of many OE interiors (and why they're often featured in stock interiors)
Jump to top Drewster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-13-2017, 04:25:23 PM   #13
bigjae1976

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
For straight-up track use, definitely - that and if you had a back brace on crappy Chinese e-bay seats, I'd be worried about ripping through the middle of the seat and making contact with the human.

For a 90% daily, a lot of people go with Recaro Sportster CS seats, which I'd be pretty confident about holding up equally well to stock. For one, they're $1,000+ each, and for another, Recaro = Johnson Controls = manufacturer of many OE interiors (and why they're often featured in stock interiors)

Aren't the sportsters crash tested?

In accidents, stock seats in any car can fail no matter who the manufacturer is. I think those seats are tested for the street environment. I don't remember ever seeing a reclining seat FIA approved. Something to be aware of.

For the record, I think using fixed back seats is the way to go if you can even if you don't have a bolt in roll bar.

Jump to top bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-13-2017, 07:17:59 PM   #14
M3ANMACHINE
@natrajusa

India

Definitely knock off seats. Looks like a replica of the Recaro Speed Seat.

2011 E90 ///M3 | Space Grey | Fox Red | DCT | ZCP | Slicktop

-----
2008 E90 M3 | AW | 6MT | Slicktop
2004 E46 M3 | CB | SMG
Jump to top M3ANMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-13-2017, 07:20:25 PM   #15
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Aren't the sportsters crash tested?

In accidents, stock seats in any car can fail no matter who the manufacturer is. I think those seats are tested for the street environment. I don't remember ever seeing a reclining seat FIA approved. Something to be aware of.

For the record, I think using fixed back seats is the way to go if you can even if you don't have a bolt in roll bar.

For the record, my car has fixed back seats, roll bar, no interior - and I had fixed back seats as my first "mod".. so I'm definitely an advocate of using a real seat if you've already decided track days are your thing.

That being said, there are numerous people that don't care about competition, want more support, but *do* want or need to lean their seats forward so someone can actually get in the back seat, as foreign as that may sound to some of us ..and in that case, there's a right way (name brand seats) and the wrong way that's in this video (likely shit Chinese seats)

I'm not sure if they're crash tested or not, but I'd be extremely skeptical of an actual seat failing axially like that. I wish I could find the tear-down someone did of those knock-offs, though - the frame is essentially just bent 1/4" steel with a bunch of booger welds.. they're seriously not suitable for any car.

Last edited by Drewster; Wed, Sep-13-2017 at 07:33:08 PM.
Jump to top Drewster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-13-2017, 07:25:13 PM   #16
nholmes
Track Junky

In the garage:

United States

Damn, that crash in the Civic was hard to watch. Did the driver blackout?

The big takeaway here is to not skimp on safety if you plan on tracking your car. Instead of buying $3500 forged JDM wheels, spend that money on proper safety equipment from a reputable source.

Jump to top nholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-13-2017, 08:07:36 PM   #17
SQ13

United States

I feel safer both on track and on street with my FIA certified fixed-back seat and harness. With my setup, I'm less worried about my seats breaking and/or my head hitting a pillar/roof during a crash (which is the number one cause of death in a rollover).

I actually can't stand not having a cage in the car, so I'll be getting a half or full cage pretty soon, now that my car has been totaled.