BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Feb-13-2018, 07:32:48 PM   #1
MrCooperS

United States

Default What's your tolerance for small defects before you request for an exchange?

Just got a set of Apex wheels from Bimmerworld. I'm super stoked about these wheels and have been eyeing them for about a year.

However, I'm a bit of a perfectionist - I inspected each wheel out of the box. Here are some things I've caught on just the face of each wheel. 2 out of 4 of them seem to have a bit more nicks/imperfections than what I'm comfortable with.

General theme is that there are slight nicks, dimples, scuffing and/or a wavy finish in small parts.

Am I being overly critical?

Wheel 1: https://imgur.com/a/idu7l
Wheel 2: https://imgur.com/a/P26qH
Wheel 3: https://imgur.com/a/JbAyV
Wheel 4: https://imgur.com/a/aebcp

OEM gloss black kidney grills & fender grills | Osram DS2 bulbs | Smoked corners | IB valve cover | IB side markers | Angel eyes | Status Gruppe CF Trunk | CF CSL rear diffuser | CF front spoiler | US Mill Works tow hook license plate holder | Stainless steel M3 pedals

Auto Solutions 30% SSK | Eventuri Intake & CF Scoop | Macht Snell silicon intake elbow | Turner IAT relocation kit | WPC-treated rod bearings | CSL headers | Euro section 1 | Supersprint resonated section 2 | Supersprint sport section 3 | Eibach springs | Turner monoball FCABs | Apex EC-7 hypersilver wheels | Bridgestone RE71R | Apex spacers | Apex bolts

Ledarmanz perforated flat bottom steering wheel | Coby Alcantara shift + e-brake boot | ZHP Shift Knob | Armrest & cupholder delete + Euro tray | Schroth 3-point harness | Alcantara wrapped A+B+C pillars

Are you an E30 M3 owner? If you're looking to trade for an 05 Interlagos Blue E46 M3, message me!
Jump to top MrCooperS is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Feb-13-2018, 07:40:45 PM   #2
breadvan

United States

Default Re: What's your tolerance for small defects before you request for an exchange?

Way overly critical imo. Although they are good quality for the money, ultimately these are $2-300 (per) wheels. Don't expect BBS Germany/Japan finish for Taiwanese/Chinese manufacturing.
Jump to top breadvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Feb-13-2018, 07:56:37 PM   #3
TheSt|G
Resident Curmudgeon

In the garage:

Isle of Man

Default Re: What's your tolerance for small defects before you request for an exchange?

Yeah, I don't see anything surprising here. You bought China wheels, you got China quality.
911 Journal/Build Thread
Sold - '13 WRB BRZ Limited 6MT
Sold - '03 Lemans on Lemans E39 M5 6MT
Sold - '99 Kosmos-Schwarzes E36 5MT M3 Coupe

Quote:
No fun no care
Jump to top TheSt|G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Feb-13-2018, 07:59:55 PM   #4
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

Here ya go! $2,000/ rim so you can nitpick all you please
http://www.hrewheels.com/wheels/series-rs3m/rs300m
Jump to top Drewster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Feb-13-2018, 08:02:29 PM   #5
TboneM3
YNWA

In the garage:

United States

Well, Apex sells blemished wheels at a discount, so I say if you paid full price, you should expect (cosmetic) perfection, otherwise, you could just buy slightly, cosmetically marked wheels at a discount or used, for that matter.

Edit - just looked at your pics. I don't think those imperfections are large/bad enough to do anything about, honestly.

Evolve-R Alpha N Evolve CSL CF Airbox Eventuri Scoop Supersprint V1 stepped SS V1 S pipe + 200 cell HFC OE sect 2 SS Sport BMW Motorsport 4.10 Besian RE pullies/fan delete WPC rod bearings TMS Camber & Subf plates RE Trans Mounts AKG poly SUB/DIFF SDW RTAB ZHP knob + UUC DSSR GroundControl S/A (Koni/Eibach 440/550) + tall RSMs OE CSL trunk APEX 75mm Studs Sportline 8S 18"x8.5/9.5" MPSS 245/275 ss brake/clutch lines Pioneer DEH-80PRS Eclipse PA5422 CDT HD-6 + WS-100i CDT EX-530 8" Kicker

DD/Beater: 1999 Civic LX - Kenwood x998 PPI 1600.4 CDT HD-6 + HD-100 CDT EX-530 Clarion 10"
Jump to top TboneM3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Feb-13-2018, 08:07:40 PM   #6
sooch

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneM3 View Post
Well, Apex sells blemished wheels at a discount, so I say if you paid full price, you should expect (cosmetic) perfection, otherwise, you could just buy slightly, cosmetically marked wheels at a discount or used, for that matter.

Edit - just looked at your pics. I don't think those imperfections are large/bad enough to do anything about, honestly.
+1 on the b stock stuff... I haven't seen any of their B-stock wheels, but it could be something to explore. Apex is a pretty stand up company and it may be worth a shot. Some of those 'blemishes' are very minor though!
Jump to top sooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Feb-13-2018, 08:27:22 PM   #7
cozmo kraemer

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCooperS View Post
Just got a set of Apex wheels from Bimmerworld. I'm super stoked about these wheels and have been eyeing them for about a year.

However, I'm a bit of a perfectionist - I inspected each wheel out of the box. Here are some things I've caught on just the face of each wheel. 2 out of 4 of them seem to have a bit more nicks/imperfections than what I'm comfortable with.

General theme is that there are slight nicks, dimples, scuffing and/or a wavy finish in small parts.

Man! You are exceptionally picky. I can't even see blemishes in half of those photos. So, to answer your question, I would be embarrassed asking for them to take those back.
2004 E46M3 - BBS RGR - RE11, BMW Motorsport 3.91, Eibach Pro Street S Coilovers (500/600), GC plates, SSV1 Headers/CPI slip fit catted/resonated section 1, Karbonious CSL intake, Shrick 280/272 cams, CSL DME Conversion, TTFS tune, OEM CSL front and rear seats

2010 - X5 4.8 Msport - the boring daily driver

My Journal

Previous - '95 M3, '94 FD RX7 (single turbo and LS6 swapped), '98 Integra Type R, '89 325i, '91 318, etc
Jump to top cozmo kraemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Feb-13-2018, 08:29:10 PM   #8
MrCooperS

United States

Appreciate the honest feedback albeit a bit curt.

On another note, I find the conversation around Chinese manufacturing to be a bit of a hyperbole. As a recent home owner, I've seen my far share of modern household goods, tools, etc. where Chinese manufacturing/assembling are superior to American manufacturing/assembling (based on my purchases in the last 2.5 years of being a homeowner).

For example, I'm an avid BBQ'er and purchased 4 to 5 sets of wireless thermometers / temperature control devices for my Kamado smoker. Partially to experiment, and partially because I like new toys. Without a doubt, the one made in the USA is the worst in terms of tolerance and reliability (PartyQ in case anyone is keeping score).

I think at the end of the day, it depends on the design/specs and the level of acceptable tolerance from the company who is outsourcing their manufacturing/assembling to China. The idea of blaming China of bad manufacturing instead of the company's acceptable tolerance is a bit funny to me - and that kind of thinking also seems a bit dangerous if people don't realize how far manufacturing technology has come in other countries (makes us less competitive and aware of our landscape).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneM3 View Post

Their blemished thread was the reason I brought this up, since I noticed similar blemishes - thus the question, what's the level of tolerance I should expect. Sounds like the answer is "who gives a ****, they are only $1,000 to $1,500 wheels."

OEM gloss black kidney grills & fender grills | Osram DS2 bulbs | Smoked corners | IB valve cover | IB side markers | Angel eyes | Status Gruppe CF Trunk | CF CSL rear diffuser | CF front spoiler | US Mill Works tow hook license plate holder | Stainless steel M3 pedals

Auto Solutions 30% SSK | Eventuri Intake & CF Scoop | Macht Snell silicon intake elbow | Turner IAT relocation kit | WPC-treated rod bearings | CSL headers | Euro section 1 | Supersprint resonated section 2 | Supersprint sport section 3 | Eibach springs | Turner monoball FCABs | Apex EC-7 hypersilver wheels | Bridgestone RE71R | Apex spacers | Apex bolts

Ledarmanz perforated flat bottom steering wheel | Coby Alcantara shift + e-brake boot | ZHP Shift Knob | Armrest & cupholder delete + Euro tray | Schroth 3-point harness | Alcantara wrapped A+B+C pillars

Are you an E30 M3 owner? If you're looking to trade for an 05 Interlagos Blue E46 M3, message me!

Last edited by MrCooperS; Tue, Feb-13-2018 at 08:57:39 PM.
Jump to top MrCooperS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Feb-13-2018, 08:31:27 PM   #9
Malloy

United States

You bought pretty cheap but light/strong wheels. Apex is not known for amazing finishes, especially under a loop.

Those wheels look fine to me - put them on the car and drive 150 miles - then count the blems caused by actual use.

Quote:

Jump to top Malloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Feb-13-2018, 08:34:19 PM   #10
breadvan

United States

Quote:
Appreciate the honest feedback albeit a bit curt.

On another note, I find the conversation around Chinese manufacturing to be a bit of a hyperbole. As a recent home owner (2.5 years), I've seen my far share of household goods, tools, etc. where Chinese manufacturing/assembling are superior to American manufacturing/assembling.

I think at the end of the day, it depends on the design/specs and the level of acceptable tolerance from the company who is outsourcing their manufacturing/assembling to China.
There is a lot of gray area when it comes to country of manufacture. I'm not too knowledgeable in this arena but I know that oftentimes something is made in one country with final assembly in another country. The end product is "made in" the final country of assembly even though it is technically manufactured elsewhere. But yes, Chinese are definitely capable of producing quality goods. It's just a matter of QC/oversight and whether or not there is a market for top shelf goods.

Sorry to go off tangent but those blemishes are ultra-minor and only visible from inches away. I would be more bothered by rock chips that accumulate every time you drive your car on the road.
Jump to top breadvan is offline   Reply With Quote