BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Feb-13-2018, 11:51:21 PM   #11
Illiyonks

United States

Default Re: Konig wheels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickrayos View Post
you can listen to these guys, or you can do your own research on what actual people who owns/tracks them has to say. its not hard to find them, heck just go to their facebook page and see what their reviews and comments have, better than what the hear-say that you will see in typical BMW forums.
I wouldn't really call is "hear-say"...every brand has a loyal following no matter how garbage the brand is. There are people who swear by XXR and STR and ESM wheels. In the long run a better, lighter alternative can be found for roughly the same price.
Jump to top Illiyonks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Feb-14-2018, 12:16:21 AM   #12
Toasty

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
you can listen to these guys, or you can do your own research on what actual people who owns/tracks them has to say. its not hard to find them, heck just go to their facebook page and see what their reviews and comments have, better than what the hear-say that you will see in typical BMW forums.
There are a lot of hard-core track rats on this forum (and, in fact, even a few race car drivers), and I've noticed they only tend to run two types of aftermarket wheels on the circuit:

1. Apex or similar performance-oriented flow-form wheels
2. Genuine forged wheels from a manufacture who knows how to make race wheels, not just style wheels (read: BBS, Rays, other motorsports wheel suppliers)

Many of these track focused folks tend to be extremely no-BS, function > form types, and I find it hard to believe if the Konig's offered a significant advantage over the competition, they would not be running them. That said, perhaps the Konig's are indeed hidden gems for track day guys on a budget, but at the moment, they haven't been proven on the circuit the way Rays, BBS, Enkei, Apex, exct have been.

Last edited by Toasty; Wed, Feb-14-2018 at 12:29:08 AM. Reason: clarity
Jump to top Toasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Feb-14-2018, 02:00:23 AM   #13
Paulo M

United States

Quote:
You run konig wheels on your m3 and you actually believe they’re a top 10 wheel manufacturer. If you google cheap and biased m3 owner, a picture of your car will pop up.

The reviews you’ll get from other konig wheel owners will be biased as well. And from what your Instagram shows, your konig wheels haven’t seen much testing outside of stanced car meets and photo shoots. So how’s your opinion on them any better than ours lol.

Last edited by Paulo M; Wed, Feb-14-2018 at 02:10:05 AM.
Jump to top Paulo M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Feb-14-2018, 02:49:48 AM   #14
mikerob

In the garage:

United States

I ran a set of Konig rims on my E30 Cabrio for many, many years. I was quite happy with them and they held up well. They never got any track time though...so can't comment on how well they would hold up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0572 sm.jpg (96.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0563 sm.jpg (95.8 KB, 14 views)

Current Ride
- 2006 BMW M3 Cabriolet, Euro Headers and Cats, SuperSprint Sport Exhaust, 3.91 Gears, TTFS Tune, Mason Eng Clutch Pedal

Past Ride
- 1991 BMW 325i (E30) Cabriolet, Stock European Exhaust (w/o Cat), Bilstein Shocks and Struts, Hella Ecode Headlights
- 2000 BMW 323i (E46) Sport Touring, 330i Front Calipers & Rotors, Bilstein Shocks and Struts, SAP Delete, Sirius Receiver, HID/Projector Headlights.
- 1994 BMW 325is (E36) S50 Engine, Schrick Cams, Custom Chip, 3.46:1 LSD Final Drive, 330i Front Calipers & Rotors, (Lots of Modifications)
- 1987 BMW 325is (E30) European ECU and Camshaft, M3 Suspension, Headers with Custom Exhaust.
Jump to top mikerob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Feb-14-2018, 02:58:24 AM   #15
Branden246

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illiyonks View Post
At one point, in the late 80's / early 90's konig was a quality multi-piece company. The company has since been sold and resold and now make "replica" 1 piece wheels for JDM cars primarily. Most konig wheels are priced under 400 bucks. PLEASE don't put konig wheels on your e46 m3. Check with APEX race wheels....they have whats called B-list wheels, they are wheels that have either a slight color blemish or someones eyebrow hair dried into the paint (not cracked or bent or anything)....they are super light and quality wheels and you can get a set for around 400 bucks of the "B grade wheels"
I plan on going with the Apex EC7 square set up. I was at summit racing (have one locally) and saw them there. I searched and couldn’t find much information on them, especially for our cars.
Jump to top Branden246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Feb-14-2018, 03:12:33 AM   #16
delvin
Water Champion

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty View Post
There are a lot of hard-core track rats on this forum (and, in fact, even a few race car drivers), and I've noticed they only tend to run two types of aftermarket wheels on the circuit:

1. Apex or similar performance-oriented flow-form wheels
Konig has a flow formed line. Their 18/9.5 Hypergram is flow formed and weighs 19.4lbs

*this is not an endorsement of Konig wheels*
Jump to top delvin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Feb-14-2018, 03:38:45 AM   #17
Paulo M

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by delvin View Post
Konig has a flow formed line. Their 18/9.5 Hypergram is flow formed and weighs 19.4lbs

nothing against konig, but a lot of ebay wheels are light and flow formed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Wed, Feb-14-2018, 03:42:04 AM   #18
Toasty

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by delvin View Post

Well, I'll be, looks like they do. And they may even have actual certifications to boot! Unfortunately, the Hypergram model you listed doesn't seem to be be hubcentric for BMW's, so you'd have to add in the cost/complexity/weight of an adapter - not ideal. Still, flow-form is of course better than regular cast, and that weight's not too far off an ARC-8 or even a genuine forged race wheel.

However, I'd be interested to see how strong these flow-formed Konig's actually are in practice though, because that is absolutely what will make or break them. It looks like Konig has a NASA sponsorship program as well (not the space people, the race people, sorry). I wonder if anyone has ran Konigs on a fast car with R-comps or even slicks for an extended period of time, it would be interesting to know how they fared.
Jump to top Toasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Feb-14-2018, 04:18:14 AM   #19
JuicyM3
Popopopop

In the garage:

Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illiyonks View Post
At one point, in the late 80's / early 90's konig was a quality multi-piece company. The company has since been sold and resold and now make "replica" 1 piece wheels for JDM cars primarily. Most konig wheels are priced under 400 bucks. PLEASE don't put konig wheels on your e46 m3. Check with APEX race wheels....they have whats called B-list wheels, they are wheels that have either a slight color blemish or someones eyebrow hair dried into the paint (not cracked or bent or anything)....they are super light and quality wheels and you can get a set for around 400 bucks of the "B grade wheels"
I keep hearing about these "B-grade" wheels but I'm yet to come across a link? Could you point me in the right direction?
Old Wed, Feb-14-2018, 05:12:41 AM   #20
delvin
Water Champion

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty View Post
Well, I'll be, looks like they do. And they may even have actual certifications to boot! Unfortunately, the Hypergram model you listed doesn't seem to be be hubcentric for BMW's, so you'd have to add in the cost/complexity/weight of an adapter - not ideal. Still, flow-form is of course better than regular cast, and that weight's not too far off an ARC-8 or even a genuine forged race wheel.

However, I'd be interested to see how strong these flow-formed Konig's actually are in practice though, because that is absolutely what will make or break them. It looks like Konig has a NASA sponsorship program as well (not the space people, the race people, sorry). I wonder if anyone has ran Konigs on a fast car with R-comps or even slicks for an extended period of time, it would be interesting to know how they fared.

Maximum Motorsports (a premier Mustang suspension part manufacturer) used to sell a Konig (the Villian maybe?It was a 5 spoke) that loads upon loads of Mustang racers have run and are still running in CMC and American Iron.

Us Ford people are known cheapskates though
Jump to top delvin is online now   Reply With Quote