BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Feb-13-2018, 08:30:06 PM   #21
Toasty

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: What’s the best way to reduce NVH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Funny thing I noticed at some point:
If you compare e90s and e60s with the same engine/trans/drivetrain (e.g. an awd automatic 528 vs a awd automatic 328i), the e60 is only 72 lbs heavier than the e90 (per BMW's published curb weights). The fact that the e90 M3/e60 M5 weight is as different as it is speaks to how hard M worked to bring the weight of the e90 M3 down. The e60 M5's minimal weight gain was because of the underlying e60 chassis lightness.
I did not know that, but now that I do, I have that much more respect for the E9X M cars. Hopefully, BMW's investments in carbon fiber will one day make a modern sub-3,000 pound 3 series a reality, and we could see the return if the true light weight M3. Carbon fiber becoming mainstream + mild hybrid systems for naturally aspirated engines are two of my greatest hopes for keeping traditional enthusiast cars around going forward. Mild hybrid so NA engines can meet emissions and fuel economy regulations, with carbon fiber to offset the weight gain of those systems.

I can hope, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSMG View Post
Oh yeah, 111k on all original suspension is going to feel pretty harsh and not ultra precise. Not saying you need to do a full rebuild BUT there things that flat don't last that long and those are the things I mentioned prior.

For sure I can tell you that the original shocks get very harsh at high mileage. The guibo also gets soft (not loose, per se, but soft) leading to a squishy/imprecise steering feel. Spring pads are toast as well. So for you I'd do a mini-refresh and the car would feel quite good after that.

All that said, an all original, never touched suspension is my favorite platform to start with. I'd love to drive your car as-is and assess from there. Let's get together since we're local.
That sounds like a good plan to me. I've been thinking for some time about what I want out of my car's suspension, and while I believe I've settled upon what I want in general, I'd be very appreciative of someone more knowledgeable than me helping guide my suspension quest further towards the tangible specifics. My subframe will be having major work done in a month or two (depends on when Vince finishes his new design) so that Kaiv can install a VinceBar, so that could be an opportune moment to put in some new suspension components.

I'm not sure what your availability is or where you are located in SD, but feel free to PM me when you find an convenient time for myself and I'll see if I can make it. Oh, and if by chance "SD" means the greater San Diego County, and you happen to live on top of Palomar Mountain, don't worry, I'll come to you. I know driving up a mountain in an M3 is quit the ordeal, but I'm willing to make the sacrifice in order to meet an M3Forum suspension guru.
Jump to top Toasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Feb-14-2018, 03:01:03 AM   #22
EricSMG
40 something

United States

Well if the actual subframe is coming down then you must (read: really, really should) replace the subframe bushes, diff bushes and inner/outer control arm bushes.

'04 SG/Black 6MT || '04 JB/IR SMG
Jump to top EricSMG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-15-2018, 03:51:57 AM   #23
Toasty

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSMG View Post
Well if the actual subframe is coming down then you must (read: really, really should) replace the subframe bushes, diff bushes and inner/outer control arm bushes.
Again, thank you for the advice, I definitely want to get the most out of Kaiv fixing my paper mache subframe. I'm going to need to plan out a list of what should be replaced during the subframe job, followed then by determining for each part if the replacements should be OE or aftermarket. While it would be easier and safer to do all OE, reading around makes it sound like some things may be worth going aftermarket depending on my intent with the car.

Speaking of that "intent" aspect, I got a chance today to drive the car through some Ramona/Poway/Lakeside backroads today in an attempt to yet again figure out what bugs me the most about my car (and because it's fun), and I believe I have a general idea of where I want to do with the car for now. With that said, instead of continuing to hi-jack this thread, I think I'll just start one of my own at some point in the journals section so I can better keep track of all this stuff + better solicit advice from this forums immensely knowledgeable residents.
Jump to top Toasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-15-2018, 07:01:02 PM   #24
ctdriver86

United States

I have 162k in my m3. The most dramatic improvement in ridge quality I noticed was installing new suspension and getting the subframe reinforced with new bushings. After the installing new KW coilovers, car rode smooth but felt rough on bumps. After reinforcing the rear subframe and adding new akg urethane bushings, car now feels very solid on rough roads.
Jump to top ctdriver86 is offline   Reply With Quote