BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Jan-17-2018, 11:26:44 PM   #31
digger

United States

Default Re: My Custom CF Airbox Journey Begins

What epoxy will you use ?
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Jan-17-2018, 11:42:40 PM   #32
AussieE46M3

In the garage:

Australia

Good luck with the project Hassan!

Just trying to fully understand your project, are you planning cutting the stock airbox in half, forming the cut opening to fit a CSL filter then adding a CSL style mouth onto the factory/modified half airbox?

Because that's something I've had in the back of my mind for a distant project. I'd be very keen to see the result of your work!
Jump to top AussieE46M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-17-2018, 11:59:25 PM   #33
erickrayos

In the garage:

United States

I actually have an extra airbox and a roll of cf planned on doing it during holiday period but didn't have time to do it. I'll see how you do it compared to how I plan on doing it. I was gonna use foam shape it up and make mold off of it.
Old Thu, Jan-18-2018, 12:18:04 AM   #34
marioec

In the garage:

United States

Sub'd for this one. Good luck on your journey
STG Headers / Euro Cats / STG SCOZA Muffler
Subframe Reinforced by Active Autowerke / HSD Coilovers /Apex ARC-8 / Michelin PSS / 4.10 Motorsport Gears
Jump to top marioec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-18-2018, 01:04:12 AM   #35
Voss
Function over Form

In the garage:

United States

What price point are you offering these at and will you be offering a group buy discount? :p
Old Thu, Jan-18-2018, 04:56:21 AM   #36
HassanEido

In the garage:

Lebanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieE46M3 View Post
Good luck with the project Hassan!

Just trying to fully understand your project, are you planning cutting the stock airbox in half, forming the cut opening to fit a CSL filter then adding a CSL style mouth onto the factory/modified half airbox?

Because that's something I've had in the back of my mind for a distant project. I'd be very keen to see the result of your work!
Thanks brother! And yep, that's it basically. Although looking. at the filter itself, its a very specific shape, I might have to remake the lower part of it as well to match the filter's shape. I could've used the porsche filter that gsr uses, but that bmw logo on the csl filter is sexy lol,that and larger fitration area might promote more flow. So if I have to lay up more cf it might be worth it
The snorkel would also be a nice challenge, but not too difficult i would say. This stuff definitely takes time though

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger
What epoxy will you use ?
Epoxy resin with slow hardner. Takes 24 to 48 hours to cure at ambient temp. There are many name brands online. Easy composites seems like a popular choice, though I won't be using it for this iteration at least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by erickrayos
I actually have an extra airbox and a roll of cf planned on doing it during holiday period but didn't have time to do it. I'll see how you do it compared to how I plan on doing it. I was gonna use foam shape it up and make mold off of it.
Yep, sounds about right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Elf
In for this one
Quote:
Originally Posted by marioec
Sub'd for this one. Good luck on your journey
Thanks guys. Ur support means alot
Modified stock airbox,afe plastic intake elbow Afe prodry drop in, electric fan conversion,SSV2 catless headers, custom 2.5" dual sec1, custom sec2 2.5" dual with e9xM X pipe, SuperSprint Race inspired custom section 3,tms pulleys,Cat Cams 280 272, custom dyno tune, csl box pending
357.7 whp 283.5 wtq

Last edited by HassanEido; Thu, Jan-18-2018 at 05:06:43 AM.
Jump to top HassanEido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-18-2018, 05:27:12 AM   #37
digger

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by HassanEido View Post
Thanks brother! And yep, that's it basically. Although looking. at the filter itself, its a very specific shape, I might have to remake the lower part of it as well to match the filter's shape. I could've used the porsche filter that gsr uses, but that bmw logo on the csl filter is sexy lol,that and larger fitration area might promote more flow. So if I have to lay up more cf it might be worth it
The snorkel would also be a nice challenge, but not too difficult i would say. This stuff definitely takes time though

Epoxy resin with slow hardner. Takes 24 to 48 hours to cure at ambient temp. There are many name brands online. Easy composites seems like a popular choice, though I won't be using it for this iteration at least.

Yep, sounds about right.

Thanks guys. Ur support means alot
Make sure the glass transition temp is high enough like 80C + so it doesn't go soft/pliable

Most epoxies you see are not good with heat and those that are require post heat treatment
Old Thu, Jan-18-2018, 05:51:28 AM   #38
L0ADED

United States

I have to ask - how is this worth your time? I understand DIYing certain things, but this does not seem like a project that is worth DIYing unless your profession is making CF parts. Either shipping to Lebanon is double or triple the price of the CSL intakes currently on the market or I am missing something else. Not to mention that the materials that are used to make carbon fiber parts are hazardous and the proper equipment, autoclave etc., is expensive. Also, it takes a good amount of material and cost to make revisions if the first one is not useable. Without the proper equipment and facility, I would not attempt making CF parts. I can't see how it is worth it when there are a few aftermarket airboxes, not including used ones, under 2k.
Jump to top L0ADED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-18-2018, 06:18:00 AM   #39
AussieE46M3

In the garage:

Australia

Quote:
I wont deny I'd be the same. I'm sure you'll find a way around it, if not it's good to have a plan B.

I'm staying tuned for more. Can't wait to check it out!
Jump to top AussieE46M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-18-2018, 07:31:02 AM   #40
HassanEido

In the garage:

Lebanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ADED View Post
I have to ask - how is this worth your time? I understand DIYing certain things, but this does not seem like a project that is worth DIYing unless your profession is making CF parts. Either shipping to Lebanon is double or triple the price of the CSL intakes currently on the market or I am missing something else. Not to mention that the materials that are used to make carbon fiber parts are hazardous and the proper equipment, autoclave etc., is expensive. Also, it takes a good amount of material and cost to make revisions if the first one is not useable. Without the proper equipment and facility, I would not attempt making CF parts. I can't see how it is worth it when there are a few aftermarket airboxes, not including used ones, under 2k.
That's like asking someone how's it worth their time to go swimming when there are nice boats that they can use..
I like making stuff.. it's my pass time.. not doing it to save money,nor would shipping be an issue.. in fact there are a few boxes that I can get for under 1k to my door,but that's not really the point, even though i'm not " L0ADED" myself
Modified stock airbox,afe plastic intake elbow Afe prodry drop in, electric fan conversion,SSV2 catless headers, custom 2.5" dual sec1, custom sec2 2.5" dual with e9xM X pipe, SuperSprint Race inspired custom section 3,tms pulleys,Cat Cams 280 272, custom dyno tune, csl box pending
357.7 whp 283.5 wtq
Jump to top HassanEido is offline   Reply With Quote